Dealing with 2v1 Top Lane?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joe10112

12-09-2012

I've come up into the problem many times when playing, that I get stuck in a 2v1 Lane. (Me being the 1 person). For example, I was playing as Darius, with I think Rengar as my Jungler, against a Master Yi + Kog'Maw Top Lane. Early game I should have had the advantage, but they kept on out-damaging me over and over. Alpha Strike from Master Yi, and Kog'Maw using his AA Enhancer to poke me from afar made it impossible for me to return damage. Every time I'd come up close, Kog Maw would use his slow, Master Yi would alpha strike, and I'd be too far behind. I lost that lane pretty hard, but ended up winning the game anyway with a decent score when it was teamfight stage.

2v1 Top Lanes happen quite frequently at my Level (~20), so how should I deal with them if I'm the 1 person? (I generally play Jayce or Darius top, although I do also own Wukong and Vladimir as well, both of which I also enjoy playing).

Guy on a bus

12-09-2012

Bad luck there, but you should start trying to play champions that have good poking abilities, like nidalee.

ashtray4joo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2012

Play cautious and ask the jungler for help. Keep an eye on each of their inventories to see if they are warding and if so the jungler, or you, needs to pink ward so jungler can gank more effectively even if they are warding.

The key is don't feed them, if they push your tower don't worry; freeze your lane and last hit at a safe distance because once your first tower is gone they will be seriously overextended if they try and get you.

However, that being said warding is the key to staying alive at that time.

Bad Player

12-09-2012

If you're facing down a 2v1 lane, the most important thing is to protect your turret. Not to kill them, or even to farm. Now then, you obviously want to farm, but don't go for that 1 cs if it means you're going to take a ton of harass and then be low enough that you have to back or you're going to get killed, don't go all-in and make a 1-for-1 trade, because it just means the 1 you didn't kill is going to take your turret, etc. Teleport isn't a bad option, since it means you can quickly get back to lane when you recall to protect turret.

Don't expect to have as great of cs as you usually do, especially in the first few waves. Stay in exp range, take the scraps of cs that you can, and when you've gained a few levels you'll be in a much better position to farm.

Keep tabs on whether the other team has wards, and let your jungler know. And if you know you're not good at 2v1ing, let your jungler know at the beginning of the game that you're going to need extra help/ganks. You can also ask mid for ganks, depending on the champ.

Darius' biggest weakness is being kited, so yeah, you were in a pretty bad position there. I don't play too much of any of the champs you mentioned but... Jayce sounds to me like he'd be a pretty solid 2v1er. He can farm (relatively) safely in ranged form, and he has a disengage/knockback in melee form. Wukong would probably also be good, since to farm you can E in and W out. Vlad might be a bit tricky, since he doesn't have such a great earlygame.

One champion I've found is surprisingly good at 2v1ing is Pantheon. He can farm/poke from a distance with Q, can set up/help with jungle ganks with his W, and can get back to lane quickly with his ult.

Joe10112

12-09-2012

Thanks guys for the tips. I find that I really love Jayce because he is Melee and Ranged. I always farm in Cannon, and when I need to, I'll switch into Melee for the Q + E if Jungle comes in to gank. But I'm only Level 20 and play Blind Pick, so I have no clue if I'm gonna have a hard time.

But yeah, I tend to shy away from pure melee (which makes me sad, since I really like playing Wukong back at Level 12 "ELO", but now I generally main Jayce (or Darius if I feel like it) Top Lane. Most of the time Jayce (4/0 W/L record since I picked Jayce back up in Top Lane), because of Ranged + Melee.

I would also play Vladimir, since he's Ranged, and his Q gives him some nice sustain and stuff, but although my friends tell me he is very strong, I honestly can't see why. I just see like 300 Magic Damage on an Ult, and that's pretty weak, compared to like a 450 Physical Damage Ult.

Any other thoughts?

Haywood Yablome

12-10-2012

Quote:
Play cautious and ask the jungler for help. Keep an eye on each of their inventories to see if they are warding and if so the jungler, or you, needs to pink ward so jungler can gank more effectively even if they are warding.

The key is don't feed them, if they push your tower don't worry; freeze your lane and last hit at a safe distance because once your first tower is gone they will be seriously overextended if they try and get you.

However, that being said warding is the key to staying alive at that time.
That is some of the best advice there is ^

ashtray4joo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2012

Vlad's not too bad, but his early game will be a pain for you until you get your Q leveled a bit. Reason vlad will be nice is all his spells but Q are AOE, which will make farming under your turret a bit easier. His ulti is a reallly nice team fight AOE coupled with his E does good damage.

Remember to save your troll pool for when they dive you because if I am trying to dive a vlad I will first try and bait out his pool, don't let them bait it before your ready to use it.

1aw

12-10-2012

Pokers are the best for this, Nidalee excells. Yorick is also pretty awesome for this also.W and E for harrasing them constantly, and Q for last hits. Hug your turret and just wait, because eventually one of them will B or one will start to roam. Thats your chance.

Failethe

12-10-2012

Another thing to note is you will outlevel your opponents over time. So at level 1 you are at a huge disadvantage, but when you are 5/6 and they are 4, you have a unique opportunity to completely blow them up w/ help from your jungler. What others have said before about being cautious and not going for every last hit is very good advice. Make sure to stay in experience range so at least the levels are to your advantage. Also, because it is a 2v1 lane is it natural for them to push, meaning they are susceptible to ganks. Once again, play cautious, ask for a gank from your jungler, and win your lane. The reason 2v1 isn't the meta is because it results in 2 characters with less farm and lower levels. Always plan for the mid/end game when in this situation because that is where it will have an impact.

Bad Player

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe10112 View Post
I would also play Vladimir, since he's Ranged, and his Q gives him some nice sustain and stuff, but although my friends tell me he is very strong, I honestly can't see why. I just see like 300 Magic Damage on an Ult, and that's pretty weak, compared to like a 450 Physical Damage Ult.
This isn't about 2v1ing, but the reason Vlad is so strong is because...
-Manaless
-Amazing sustain
-Super-tanky (lategame, once he's built health)
-Lots of damage (lategame, once he's built AP)
-Amazing escape in his W
-Low cooldowns (lategame, once he ranks up his skills and builds CDR)
-Ult is AoE, which means you can hit a good portion of the enemy team in a teamfight, and increases all damage enemies take by 12%, which is basically like lopping off 1/8th of their health.