Karthus' Design Forgives Poor Play.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eraseasaurus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2012

After about a year of Karthus as a main I can tell you he certainly can be powerful and fun, but is equally vulnerable in the same respect. For starters, there are so many more mid counters to Karthus than I can count on both hands. He is terribly squishy and is almost guaranteed to lose a 1v1 pre-six. His damage simply cannot compete at lower levels and he can be shut down extremely easily. Thus, his only option is to sit back and farm, snagging whatever he can with R until the teamfights start.

My suggestion, be extremely aggressive early before the jungle has a chance to get around to mid. You'll likely win the 1v1 and force him to play passively and extra cautious. Once forced into that mindset he will undoubtedly have a more difficult time farming. I shouldn't even have to say this, but run from side to side and try to judge where he'll Q next. Never run away in a straight line. His Q's are terribly easy to dodge, really.

Beaumains

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraseasaurus View Post
. . . For starters, there are so many more mid counters to Karthus than I can count on both hands. . . .
I wouldn't say there are too many hard counters to Karthus in mid. There are a lot of highly challenging opponents mid (Ori, Lux, Kat, LB, Kass, for example), but they do have counterplay and it is possible to get the upper hand on them, especially Kat.

Takhuan

12-08-2012

Zhonya can completely counter him late game.

Eraseasaurus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumains View Post
I wouldn't say there are too many hard counters to Karthus in mid. There are a lot of highly challenging opponents mid (Ori, Lux, Kat, LB, Kass, for example), but they do have counterplay and it is possible to get the upper hand on them, especially Kat.
Those plus any assassin type champions. I would add Ahri to the list above. Other nonconventional hard counters I feel to include would be Akali, Talon, AP Trist, Ezreal, Pantheon, Fizz. Granted these are just from my experience.

~edit~

I realized I may be using the term "counter" a little too loosely in which case I'd agree with your terminology of "highly challenging opponents with counterplay."

DustyBunnys

12-08-2012

There are two ways to play Karthus in my eyes: The good way (which involves ulting to initiate/ ulting during a teamfight you're not in/ Ulting when someone has clearly gotten out of range of your team) Then the bad way: (ULTULTULTULT IS THAT GUY ALMOST DEAD ULT END OF TEAM FIGHT ULT KILLS AFTER DEATH who cares if I have 13 deaths?)

Whenever I see a good Karthus player I feel happy, but that is rare. I agree that Karthus is usually played the no skill way that only requires you to play dumb, die and spam skills + ult. AND OR ult when one of your teammates is about to get a kill. Get fed but your KD looks something like 13/13/0.

kronvict

12-08-2012

a bad karthus on the enemy team is just fresh meat

Awfully Beast

12-09-2012

Karthus' early game levels 1-6 are so weak its not even funny, unless you are standing still taking his q damage like his b**** then you should not lose to him.

Beaumains

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraseasaurus View Post
Those plus any assassin type champions. I would add Ahri to the list above. Other nonconventional hard counters I feel to include would be Akali, Talon, AP Trist, Ezreal, Pantheon, Fizz. Granted these are just from my experience.

~edit~

I realized I may be using the term "counter" a little too loosely in which case I'd agree with your terminology of "highly challenging opponents with counterplay."
Agreed; assassins & carries tend to get an edge over most mages though. +1'd.

Beaumains

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awfully Beast View Post
Karthus' early game levels 1-6 are so weak its not even funny, unless you are standing still taking his q damage like his b**** then you should not lose to him.
But a good Karth makes you eat the ping [insert evil laugh].

Abbacabb

12-11-2012

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned soraka as a counter to him. When karthus ults soraka should do the same. Enough said.