Adobe Air crash on Windows 8 solution

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Erfolg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2012

I posted this in the Bug Report forum as well but I figured it'd perhaps be good to post it here as well.

As a few people have reported, the client crashes a lot on Windows 8 and I got tired of it so I decided to try and fix it myself. Running Visual Studio's debugger after a crash indicated an issue with Adobe Air. The version of Adobe Air packaged with the client is 3.1 which is from late 2011, while the current version is 3.5. Since Adobe Air is a managed runtime there isn't really any reason not to update it every time it gets updated but it's RIOT's call when they want to update. Anyhow, the PvP.net client will not use an installed version of Adobe Air and will only use the embedded version. The solution I found was basically just to update the embedded version to the newest version and so far I haven't had a single crash. If you want to give it a try and see how it works for you here it goes. Download the installer from http://get.adobe.com/air/ then either install it or extract the package to a folder. If you install the folder you'll be looking for is located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0" by default if you're running 64 bit Windows 8. There is no (x86) if you're running 32 bit. Copy everything in this folder to "C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\RADS\projects\lol_air_client\releases\0.0. 0.226\deploy\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0" or change the path to your install if you didn't install to the default location. This (so far) has fixed my problem 100% so hopefully it'll work for everyone else as well.

Cruxie

12-08-2012

This didn't work for me, now on startup I get "PVP.net Patcher Kernel has stopped working"

Zilgamech

12-18-2012

So far Lol is working i hope the problem is solved thanks you so much if it does!!!

Lord Garza

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erfolg View Post
I posted this in the Bug Report forum as well but I figured it'd perhaps be good to post it here as well.

As a few people have reported, the client crashes a lot on Windows 8 and I got tired of it so I decided to try and fix it myself. Running Visual Studio's debugger after a crash indicated an issue with Adobe Air. The version of Adobe Air packaged with the client is 3.1 which is from late 2011, while the current version is 3.5. Since Adobe Air is a managed runtime there isn't really any reason not to update it every time it gets updated but it's RIOT's call when they want to update. Anyhow, the PvP.net client will not use an installed version of Adobe Air and will only use the embedded version. The solution I found was basically just to update the embedded version to the newest version and so far I haven't had a single crash. If you want to give it a try and see how it works for you here it goes. Download the installer from http://get.adobe.com/air/ then either install it or extract the package to a folder. If you install the folder you'll be looking for is located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0" by default if you're running 64 bit Windows 8. There is no (x86) if you're running 32 bit. Copy everything in this folder to "C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\RADS\projects\lol_air_client\releases\0.0. 0.226\deploy\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0" or change the path to your install if you didn't install to the default location. This (so far) has fixed my problem 100% so hopefully it'll work for everyone else as well.
I just replaced the files that were in both folders (not all the folder since it has more things) and at the moment it has worked 100%.

Rob the Reaper

12-23-2012

I had to put it into 0.0.0.229, but it seemed to work and I haven't crashed yet either.

XbusterTheFirst

04-04-2013

Thank you for your help you saved a little boy's (wet) dreams. =')

All jokes aside, thanks good sir!

Poopdog887

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erfolg View Post

THANKS MAN! Got an awesome gaming pc but couldn't make use of it bc of stupid WindoW 8. Game was crashing 8/10 times during loading screen. Now the problem appears to have been solved.