Maintaining Consistent Performance?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ethri

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2012

I consider myself to be very good at this game knowledge wise, yet I fail at a few key points of the game which are detrimental.

1. I tend to miss targeted skills.
Ex.
-On Irelia I spend 3 seconds spamming ignite (of course making other maneuvers at the same time) on a low hp Singed as he tower dives me (with ult), kills me, and escapes with 10hp. I never managed to land ignite on him even though he was in range.
-On Tristana I rocket jump+E+ignite+ult someone. They escape with 40 hp because I used my E on a minion/ their ally.
-On Lulu I often try to self cast with Alt+W/E, but I must be pressing the buttons wrong sometimes because it ends up taking 4 tries to use the shield (not due to lag spikes).

2. Last hitting... If I have complete focus, I can only get ~83 cs in 10 minutes on Tristana with Explosive shot at level 1 (with no opponents). I think my best is 100 cs in 10 minutes vs Annie bot with 3 kills, but I don't think I can replicate it since I am no longer accustomed to her attack animation. When I'm in a normal game I tend to miss quite a bit of cs because I end up being a bit shaky trying to keep up harass on the enemy/ last hitting, and this usually results in more miss-clicks.

3. My basic mechanical skills vary greatly. I will be a master of attack moving+ stopping for 1-2 games and completely fumble with the keys on the next game (while fighting enemies too).

Is there any way to cure myself of these mistakes? I have ~700 total games under my belt and can't seem to prevent them from randomly occurring. If I can fix them I think I would be a much better player overall, so suggestions are appreciated.

Cruelty

12-07-2012

take adderall.

Ethri

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bM cry View Post
take adderall.
Any realistic suggestions involving ways to practice/ tune certain skills?

DerpyGeth

12-07-2012

When you play Tristana, do not use her Ulti as soon as you rocket jump and E, this just gives them a better chance to escape.

Instead, start auto-attacking them as much as you can after your burst. This gives you much better damage than simply using Ulti, since you'll be in AA range alot more often that way. Your Ulti should only be used when you absolutely won't be able to kill them with only AA.

I would also recommend not trying to burst them until they are around half health, use your E+auto attacks to whittle them down, then go in.

Ethri

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyGeth View Post
When you play Tristana, do not use her Ulti as soon as you rocket jump and E, this just gives them a better chance to escape.

Instead, start auto-attacking them as much as you can after your burst. This gives you much better damage than simply using Ulti, since you'll be in AA range alot more often that way. Your Ulti should only be used when you absolutely won't be able to kill them with only AA.

I would also recommend not trying to burst them until they are around half health, use your E+auto attacks to whittle them down, then go in.
I usually whittle the down till I can W+E+Ignite+R them except I go by their magic resist and number of hp bars to make the determination. Even if I jump slightly behind them to R team to my teammate, if they are not dead I stand a slight chance of dying (but also allows me to get a few more auto attacks off).

So would it be better to wait a little longer in case one skill misses (but they are much more careful)? Also, can I rebind the ~ key so that I never use skills on minions while playing Trist?

ReMeDyIII

12-08-2012

Consider a champ who excels at last hitting and require no skill shots, such as Miss Fortune (start with W) or Teemo (start with E). If you're an ADC with decent poke and your support can heal you, start Doran's for the extra +10 dmg. To further improve last hitting, consider +2 in Butcher mastery, and prioritize flat AD quints and marks. Atk spd glyphs is also an option.

If you haven't already, enable smart casting. It makes using skills, like Ignite, more convenient, and if things are convenient, you're more likely to use them. The sooner you start using things, the sooner you can commit them to habit. If Ignite is too much of a hassle, there's nothing wrong with taking Flash Heal for added sustain or even Flash Teleport for ganks and securing towers, but all this is situational.

The way I learned to use Ignite is with the Summoner's Wrath mastery. Because it increases AP and Atk dmg while Ignite's on CD, it's better to use Ignite in a deciding 1vs1 fight early to take advantage of this bonus. Since this compels me to Ignite early, it forces it higher to the top of some of my combo lists, improving my mental checklist. Now, I never forget Ignite during fights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethri
Also, can I rebind the ~ key so that I never use skills on minions while playing Trist?
I don't use this. I feel it just complicates a player's mental checklist. Make sure your camera is unlocked, since I know a locked camera can make targeting harder, but otherwise, practice click accuracy.

Etherimp

12-08-2012

Disable Mouse Acceleration.

Google it to find out how.

After you disable acceleration, it'll take a little practice to get used to how your mouse moves but once you get accustomed to it, it's much more reliable. Learned this back when I played FPS's competitively.

Ethri

12-08-2012

@ReMeDylll
- A champion that is good at last hitting wouldn't solve the issue of misclicking. Anyways, I think most of the cs lost is due to explosive shot/ spending time denying. I'm not quite sure how to get 100% of the cs with explosive shot up, even when planning ahead for the splash.

-I use smart casting with range indicators. I find it allows me to harass+ zone my opponents much better. As for the "ignite" being too much of a hassle, I don't think I was clear enough. Such errors only occur in 1 out of 3-5 games. I am unsure why it only happens consistently in that one game, but it become the primary reason for doing poorly.

- Very good point about ignite. I can't believe I didn't think of this before despite always using this mastery. I guess there are always little details people tend to miss, even when claiming to know a lot about the game.

- I think I only had my camera locked until level 7. =p

@Etherimp
I agree, this can be very helpful. I fully disabled my mouse acceleration about 4 weeks ago. The only issue I have with this is that my mouse seems to move soo sloww at the default speed. Anything higher than default makes the mouse skip some pixels (I used 8/11 speed atm despite being used to 11/11 when mouse accel was on).

Etherimp

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethri View Post
@Etherimp
I agree, this can be very helpful. I fully disabled my mouse acceleration about 4 weeks ago. The only issue I have with this is that my mouse seems to move soo sloww at the default speed. Anything higher than default makes the mouse skip some pixels (I used 8/11 speed atm despite being used to 11/11 when mouse accel was on).
What kind of mouse are you using? Any decent and clean optical/laser mouse should not feel slow or sluggish with accel disabled.

jmgr4y

12-08-2012

Practice makes perfect. Practice practice practice. And learn every role.