Questions about Champion Balance

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Evan Weaksauce

12-07-2012

Ok, not sure if this has been address already but I didn't find anything to pin point my concerns. I am a new player which was brought on by watching IPL on IGN. At first I thought this was a free game which it is and isn't but you probably know this. However this has left me with a conundrum.
While watching competitive play I noticed certain Champions being picked numerous times while others being more or less completely ignored. Now that I have come to terms with the fact I will be spending money on this game I'm wondering if these "nerfed" Champions can be effective.
Once I noticed I had to pay to buy champions, ( Or play a whole whole whole whole lot ) the decision on unlocking champions just became a whole lot harder. There are some champions whom I find "cool" but am afraid to buy because upon researching them people say things like "nerfed beyond recognition" and articles say these champions have "become obsolete".
So I guess this is my long winded way of asking, are the Champions balanced enough to allow me to play who I think is "cool" or will I be putting myself at a big disadvantage? Thanks in advance for your helpful insight.

Skyhawke

12-07-2012

Just because something is unpopular in pro play, it does not mean it is not a viable champion. Are certain champs a little on the strong side? Yup. Are some champions a little weaksauce? Sure. But player skill and comfort with a certain champion will usually trump the champion's "power level." Heimerdinger is largely considered underpowered, but I've played in plenty of games where he rocked. Karma is widely called underpowered, but she saw some play in the IPL tournament. Soraka is probably on the weak side after several nerfs, but she's one of my most-played champions and I've seen a ton of success with her. Despite what the naysayers mention on the general discussion board, Morello and the balance team do a pretty good job with keeping champions balanced enough that they are playable.

tl;dr - I'd strongly encourage you to play who you think is cool. Player skill and comfort with a champ is more important than the champ's perceived power level.

Evan Weaksauce

12-07-2012

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I have to admit the "naysayers" have gotten to me, portraying that the "weaker" champions are impossible to play well with.

IS134793e5f3c35e84c7d25

12-07-2012

there is not a huge gap between the champions who are strong and weak. basically some champions are niche, others their strategies don't suit the current meta, but does not mean they won't in the future.

you can play who you think is cool and do fine even if they are considered a low tier champion.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

12-07-2012

Compared to fighting games like Street Fighters or Smash Bros, you will find that League is far more balanced. At IPL5, I believe 66 different champions saw at least one game? And even the most popular champions (Ezreal, Olaf, Lulu) saw play in only about 50% of the games.

As Skyhawk already pointed out, if a champion is not popular in pro play, that does not mean they can't do well at any Elo. Even 1800 Elo solo queue (which statistically you'll almost certainly never reach) is sufficiently different from tournament play that you can't treat the MLG tier list as holy writ.

If you play enough League, there isn't a single champion in the entire roster that you won't see stomp HARD at least once. Rammus, Udyr, Annie, Sion, Sejuani, Varus: you will almost never see these champions in a pro tourny but I assure you that you will see all of them go 12/1/8 in the hands of a skilled player sooner or later.

Skyhawke

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Weaksauce View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Yes I have to admit the "naysayers" have gotten to me, portraying that the "weaker" champions are impossible to play well with.
Trust me. They're not. Player skill is way more important. The pros will play wonky team comps to have fun on stream (with odd champs and strange champion combos) and they will usually dominate with them. I main supports, and the most dominating support performance I've seen (in one of my own games) was from a Karma.

IS134793e5f3c35e84c7d25

12-07-2012

plus one thing you must consider even if you playing a bad champion, the match making will always attempt to put you in even matches, so if you really suck eventually you'll be winning half your games any ways. due to facing similar players or having similar odds in games. being good really is not an issue. unless you want to do ranked and think the elo number matters and you want to show off. showing off is not really ideal, no one likes show offs, plus showing off when no one cares your just an anonymous gamer is kind of delusional.

Evan Weaksauce

12-07-2012

Thanks guys, you have helped. I will be buying and playing the heck out of Gangplank

l Gankfest l

12-07-2012

I'm going to be playing Akali at 30. :P

SchierkeWiking

12-07-2012

One thing to understand is that "balance" is very different at the pro level of play compared to just regular guys. Just because X champion is not very viable at the super high skill and coordinated teams of pro players doesn't mean it will be the same in you average newbie game.

That being said, I would believe that something between the lines of 90 to 95% of champions are perfectly viable in your average game. Some are strongers than others, of course, but personal skill and knowledge of you champions will make much more of a diference.

In other words, the guy playing the less than ideal champion because he loves him/her/it and knows everything about it -> the guy who just plays the stronger champions because he just wants to win.

Also remember that balance is not static. Six months ago anyone playing Evelynn was considered a troll as she was regarded as the worst champion in the League, but Riot changed some of her kit (skills) and now she's regarded a very strong champion and even a pub stomper.