Finally, A Non-Oversexualized "Cool" Female Champ

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aametherar

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Her splash art will be fine. She's fine. Everything is fine.

..I need a snack.
You need to go to bed unless you work night shifts xD


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Super Explosion

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Samurai View Post
Oh. I see what you're doing now.

The problem with your argument is that Lee Sin is in the same boat as oversexualized women in this game, he's a male power fantasy. His design is for men first, you just assume that his rippling muscles and high cheekbones were aimed at women because he's a man.
Obviously there was no statement of intended aim.

I'm merely talking about his appearance.

To use your words, one could quite clearly say that "Ashe is a power fantasy for women".

This is a problem if you talk from a cultural bias.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Endtro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Champions should absolutely be sexualized. There was an awesome skin idea for bath time garen where he wears a towel and charges out of bushes attacking with a loofah on a stick. Also as you seem to be unaware both sexes time to time enjoy being "sexualized". God forbid people have free choice to do/wear what they please.

And how is Lee sin a male fantasy but ashe is just an exploited *** object. Women like to be sexy and men enjoy being sexy as well. Ashe is a totally a badass women who wears heels and still pentakills people.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

fredblaze01

Senior Member

12-07-2012

ezreal have a sister? It wouldn't surprised me

they probably exchanged dress and dance

If you know what I mean


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KT Samurai

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
To use your words, one could quite clearly say that "Ashe is a power fantasy for women".
You literally cannot say that. Ashe was clearly designed with men in mind. You'd have to be numb to the whole of modern media to not see what I mean by this.

Do some women find Ashe to be a power fantasy? Almost certainly. But she was made to appeal to men before women.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Super Explosion

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Samurai View Post
You literally cannot say that. Ashe was clearly designed with men in mind. You'd have to be numb to the whole of modern media to not see what I mean by this.

Do some women find Ashe to be a power fantasy? Almost certainly. But she was made to appeal to men before women.
"None of the men were made to appeal to women, but all of the women were made to appeal to men."

This is a bias.

There is some demographic targeting in champion design, of course.

But the issue is in the discussion of what people in this thread term "sexualization", and how they determine exactly what they want to apply that word to.

And then to elucidate the cultural and personal bias that is tending people toward declaring the showing of any skin on females to be "sexualization".

You understand?

Finally, to indicate that sexy-making in design is not bad-- merely oversaturation of only one kind of sexiness (in this case, the stereotypical busty girl) is.

Some games go all the way on having every female be innocent and cute. Others have them as ethereal and untouchable. Some have everyone be Tank Girl.

Riot needs a mix of those and more.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KT Samurai

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
"None of the men were made to appeal to women, but all of the women were made to appeal to men."

This is a bias.

There is some demographic targeting in champion design, of course.

But the issue is in the discussion of what people in this thread term "sexualization", and how they determine exactly what they want to apply that word to.

And then to elucidate the cultural and personal bias that is tending people toward declaring the showing of any skin on females to be "sexualization".

You understand?

Finally, to indicate that sexy-making in design is not bad-- merely oversaturation of only one kind of sexiness (in this case, the stereotypical busty girl) is.

Some games go all the way on having every female be innocent and cute. Others have them as ethereal and untouchable. Some have everyone be Tank Girl.

Riot needs a mix of those and more.
If you're going to do a straw man please be more concise about it. I know you're not actually interested in anything I have to say but you could use a lot less words to convey that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dustwind

Senior Member

12-07-2012

I was looking at her page at the league of legends wikia, are her ability icons out of date? I get that they're not necessarily meant to be 100% visually accurate, but besides the passive icon showing her off as being very buxom, the outfit is different from the one shown on vault breaker.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Super Explosion

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Samurai View Post
If you're going to do a straw man please be more concise about it. I know you're not actually interested in anything I have to say but you could use a lot less words to convey that.
You don't see the overlap between making something attractive to women and making something men view as a power fantasy?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wytsfs

Senior Member

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Samurai View Post
It's just how this translates over to what is real and sentient. On some level throwing Riven into a bunny costume can't be all that different from doing the same to some poor girl you'll never meet, the same message that this is somehow okay to do to women is being related to the viewer.

In a way, Riven and the other champs in this game have had a greater impact on the world than you and I ever will. I don't think it's a stretch to say that how Riot treats them speaks volumes more than anything we'll ever do in our entire lives. That's significant.
I disagree. In reality Riven has no thoughts or feelings, nor do any of the other champions. Nevermind that BBR's non canon and she never wore that outfit in the story; even if it was canon any opinion we were told that Riven had about that event would be as fake as Riven herself. It's just not comparable.

I also disagree about the effect these games have on the world. Certainly they'll impact more lives than you or I, but not the way you are asserting. People are better than that. All but a minority know the difference between fantasy and reality and that minority were affected by far more powerful influences than any game and likely well before they ever played.