Finally, A Non-Oversexualized "Cool" Female Champ

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crosbie

12-07-2012

She reminds me of Tank Girl, who to me, is ****in' sexy.

KT Samurai

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTemptragon View Post
Okay, given this and some of your other comments, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. For me, the placement of female characters in sexual outfits/poses/whatever it's exploitation so long as the character could conceivably volunteer into it. I don't think BBR crosses this line.

The exploitation comes in when every female character is placed in a posistion like that solely because they're female. If the entire cast of LoL were women for whom sexual attraction was a big deal/important part of their job/whatever, it still wouldn't be exploitative. Boring as hell and incredibly contrived, but okay.

However, I agree with you that this is a huge social problem and I'm honestly glad you seem very reasonable. :P Arguing on the internet usually leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
I think I just put greater emphasis on this game where eploitation is concerned than you do.

You seem aware of the larger problem here and quite honestly that's all I can really ask for in the end. I just think Riot is in a great position to put character before gender, and these latest signs are telling me that they're starting to really think about this. I do find that most female characters in this game being thrown into skimpy outfits and put into objectifying poses is problematic even if it's just one game in a huge world full of imagery that does it worse every day.

Encountering reasonable people you disagree with is always good. It helps me appreciate what other people are thinking, even if I don't really know how to relate to it.

Thanatias

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2012

I had a dream many moons ago about a champion solely designed to punch someone in the face. Too bad it was a male in my dream though. I am pleased with the release of Vi, I just tried jungling with her and it went spectacular. She has "some" tankiness with her passive, giving you a free shield every now and then, and I just love her all around. Wonderful base damages on her ult to compensate for the low AD ratio. Thank You Riot for releasing the last champ of the year, and having her be so cool. You know how Riot has that fist thingy? I can imagine that being Vi's fists punching the screen during all the videos and whatnot. GJ Riot once again, I love Vi and this is the first time I've ever commented on a forum about my glee for a new champion. Nami is wonderful and I love supporting, but Vi, oh Vi...<3

Super Explosion

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Samurai View Post
You're making a lot of weird assumptions to prove your point. How does Udyr, Lee Sin, and Olaf's design compare to what happens with Ashe? Those three champs exude a lot of character in their designs. I don't know if women find them attractive but I can't begin to understand how you think their situation is the same as Ashe's.
Well, Lee Sin is a very sexy man.

The rippling muscles, the thick arms, the poise, the reasonably chiseled face.

He displays quite a few male secondary sexual characteristics females find attractive.

As Ashe displays quite a few of the female analog secondary sexual characteristics.

Smooth soft skin, pert cleavage, full lips.

To say that Ashe is "sexualized" is to also say that Lee Sin is "sexualized".

That is the irony that tends to happen when males have this discussion amongst themselves as to what they think is "too sexy" from women.

Bu Gao Xing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I'll hopefully be able to do better than just apologize.
New Sejuani skin? With 100% more armor perhaps? (And I don't mean that strange Darkrider getup where you see a normal skin tone with black and brown armor.. and what you get is a blue skin tone with more blue armor).

KT Samurai

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytsfs View Post
Similar, but not the same. I disagree that the exploitation of fictional beings is wrong. They're non-sapient/sentient objects.
It's just how this translates over to what is real and sentient. On some level throwing Riven into a bunny costume can't be all that different from doing the same to some poor girl you'll never meet, the same message that this is somehow okay to do to women is being related to the viewer.

In a way, Riven and the other champs in this game have had a greater impact on the world than you and I ever will. I don't think it's a stretch to say that how Riot treats them speaks volumes more than anything we'll ever do in our entire lives. That's significant.

KT Samurai

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
Well, Lee Sin is a very sexy man.

The rippling muscles, the thick arms, the poise, the reasonably chiseled face.

He displays quite a few male secondary sexual characteristics females find attractive.

As Ashe displays quite a few of the female analog secondary sexual characteristics.

Smooth soft skin, pert cleavage, full lips.

To say that Ashe is "sexualized" is to also say that Lee Sin is "sexualized".

That is the irony that tends to happen when males have this discussion amongst themselves as to what they think is "too sexy" from women.
Oh. I see what you're doing now.

The problem with your argument is that Lee Sin is in the same boat as oversexualized women in this game, he's a male power fantasy. His design is for men first, you just assume that his rippling muscles and high cheekbones were aimed at women because he's a man.

LukasAdro

12-07-2012

sexualisation of women isn't degrading, it's a compliment. Will these PC freaks ever get that? Will you not be happy until men do not find women sexually attractive at all... dou you want us to all become gay and not view a woman with sexual interest?

I tell you I see women as beautiful sexual beings! Bring it on!

KT Samurai

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbie View Post
She reminds me of Tank Girl, who to me, is ****in' sexy.
I totally got that vibe while I was drawing her earlier.

KT Samurai

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasAdro View Post
sexualisation of women isn't degrading, it's a compliment. Will these PC freaks ever get that? Will you not be happy until men do not find women sexually attractive at all... dou you want us to all become gay and not view a woman with sexual interest?

I tell you I see women as beautiful sexual beings! Bring it on!
There's nothing wrong with sexuality. No one wants you to turn gay or something.

You should make an effort to understand what people are actually talking about before flying into a tirade about something no one was saying.