Finally, A Non-Oversexualized "Cool" Female Champ

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Harrow

Writer

12-06-2012
31 of 42 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetary GO View Post
I like Vi's voiceovers and character, but can I ask how she got her name? Nothing wrong with it, I'm just curious if it's supposed to match her personality or her back story... or if it's just a creative pick.
She got her name from the VI tattoo on her face. She never gave anyone her name, so her old criminal crew called her after the one distinguishing feature she had.

I'll leave you to ponder whether or not she has an actual given name, and where/when she got the VI mark.

DrTemptragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynfall View Post
Parrot, why are you making a row of female champions, and why aren't they as hot as previous ones?

I mean I'm not hating on the fact that new champs aren't so sexualized but sexy is fun. There needs to be a balance, and wouldn't you as an artist agree?

Things I've been noticing are:

A lot of female champs in a row (I heard the one after Vi is gonna be female too)

So far, they aren't sexy in the general sense (Nami is a fish, Vi is fully armored)

Not only am I feeling forgotten about as a male, but the lack of the new champs being hot (in the most widely appreciated way) is putting me down.
The issue I have with this isn't the fact that you're demanding more for a base already well and truly pandered for, you're also implying that other peoples tastes and what they find attractive are inferior to yours.

Happy I am not with this. Personally, I find Vi pretty sexy.

Thane Soren

Recruiter

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
I found a video of it.

Seriously. Like...that is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Maybe for MF, Eve, Nidalee or Ahri, but Kat?
Kat is hot, is there a problem?

Queso Queen

12-06-2012

Mr IronStylus Sir,

I am glad to see that you all are taking our 'want diversity' in champions seriously, as well as less boobs displayed>more action so to speak for awhile, however....

What about in skin wise?

Lots of us have stated we are tired of seeing the robotic/futuristic theme replayed over and over again, just like people were tired of seeing fire/ice/crystal for awhile. Will we be moving on to something new soon?

Also, are you guys listening to how we have stated, quite often in fact, that we are tired of seeing champs that now have duo holiday skins/unseen as worthy by most skins handed out? (As long as we know you are at least paying attention that we are tired of this, it reminds me of the days of drastic teemo/annie/ww skins thrown out last year.)

tempnameA461

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTemptragon View Post
The issue I have with this isn't the fact that your demanding more for a base already well and truly pandered for, you're also implying that other peoples tastes and what they find attractive are inferior to yours.
Where is the proof that they aren't inferior?
It's a very real possibility.

Thane Soren

Recruiter

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
She got her name from the VI tattoo on her face. She never gave anyone her name, so her old criminal crew called her after the one distinguishing feature she had.

I'll leave you to ponder whether or not she has an actual given name, and where/when she got the VI mark.
Would calling her "Six" be acceptable? Or is it just Vi?

CynicalGiant

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Nothing is wrong with Korra-like muscles. They're great for Korra. You wouldn't notice much difference in-game if we bulked her up due to the game angle. Game angle causes foreshortening, foreshortening causes compression. With the essentially icon-sized real estate that the champions end up with you'd have to push proportions severely to make noticeable difference. It's a matter of smart use. That wouldn't really be the best use of that choice in this particular case.

It might seem logical from an artistic standpoint to bulk her up, but from a game-centric view such bulking up would serve a different character better. She's served appropriately by the gauntlets, those are the big reads. Heavy emphasis on bulkier muscle anatomy or even a sturdy build wouldn't be a significant enough pay-off and might even clump up the silhouette.

A more hefty build would suit a character which has more exposed anatomy, not a body covered in large reads like the gauntlets or other types of armor.
So why doesn't Sejuani have a Korra like build?

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

12-06-2012
32 of 42 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanesse View Post
Great job on Vi and thank you for addressing all the points people toss at you, IronStylus! I'm sure it must be frustrating to have all your great progress overshadowed by nitpicking, especially while you're working on products that are months away from realization.

I do have a question though: Will we be getting any more female monsters like Anivia?
No problem. I jumped into this gig pretty much knowing I'd at times be dealing with arguments that lacked context, were looking at the micro rather than the macro, and generally critical feedback. I'm totally cool with it, whatever the flavor. I look forward to engaging with people. Hell, I had virtually nothing to do with Vi, but I want to absorb the feedback and see what's actionable.

Can't talk about roster specifically unfortunately. We are exploring more creature champs as per usual though.

Zwingley

12-06-2012

I am a fan, and I think that designs like these are the best when it comes to pseudo-modern (using this very loosely) characters. Take the gauntlets away, and I wouldn't be surprised to walk past a woman dressed like that in Portland. It's really cool in a very different way from much of what we have in League already. Glad to see diversification take root!

Ayketh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2012

@IronStylus:

So how is her name pronounced? Obviously her tattoo is that of a Roman numeral, but I'm guessing her name isn't 6. Is it "Vee" or "Vy"?

Loving her by the way, instant buy. She looks sharp and her abilities seem rewarding (at least in appearance!)