Amumu on TT

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ashrayn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2012

I'm looking for some feedback on how viable Amumu is in 3's. I love him in summoner's rift and always pick him if he's not banned, but I've been running some problems with him in TT. Specifically, his early game.
Putting aside champions that are banned 95% of the time like Darius, Singed, and Teemo, my teammates often pick another champion with strong aoe, such as Jarvan, Wukong, Chogath, Rumble, and a champion with sustained damage like Lee Sin, Olaf, or Jax. Late game, we pretty much invariably stomp the enemy team, but the problem is getting there.
Tonight we fought against the same team twice, losing both times. They picked early game powerhouses like Riven, Xin, and Nocturne. We avoided fighting them level 1, but they invaded our jungle throughout the early game. I couldn't fight their jungler 1v1, and inevitably one of our lanes would push up a little too far and get ganked. If I tried to gank, the enemy would usually be able to run far enough for their jungler to come help, and we'd lose 2v2. We'd fall behind in exp and farm, and by the time we're level 6/7 they'd be 8/9 and 8 kills to our 3. While we're often able to turn that around post-6 with good teamfights, this was not the case tonight, and besides, I don't exactly want to work from a position of weakness every single game.
Afterwards my teammates pressured me to play a stronger early champion (Noc), and while we we won the lvl 1 fight and put on a lot of early game pressure, I felt a lot weaker in later teamfights. Although we still won because our momentum let us get a lucky early inhib, we got aced several times from malph/lulu ults while olaf beat on us,
I'd love to hear from higher rated teams (we're around 1550 atm) whether amumu is viable at the upper ratings, and if so, any recommendations on playstyle/items/team comp.

TL;DR
Amumu's early game feels really weak, would like advice on how to improve it or if I should pick up someone else.

herpderpsmurf21

12-06-2012

ap mumu with torch is the bane of my existence if facing one

Ashrayn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by herpderpsmurf21 View Post
ap mumu with torch is the bane of my existence if facing one
I get torch after a few tank items so I dont explode as soon as my ult ends. If we've survived to that point, generally we've won. I'm more concerned with the early game, pre-6 where we always seem to fall behind.

Slave Ship Capt

12-07-2012

Amumu with blackfire torch great... His ult late game= win if your team is semi smart..

Boo

12-07-2012

his early game is bad but 99% of the time his mid and late game makes up for it. just play more safe pre-6 if you can. as long as you can hold your altar early then you'll be fine. also the only way they can invade your jungle is if your lanes are shoved in. push your lanes hard and they'll be too occupied with csing at their tower rather than trying to make a play.

sthorwall

12-07-2012

Coming from someone who's about the same rating zone as you, I've got a couple ideas for you guys:

1) Change your meta. Pre-6 is you're problem, and you say you're fine after that. So switch it up pre-6. Get clever, get cute, get unexpected.
1A) For example, bot getting ganked and you're getting invaded? Take a wave or two off to double-jungle. Both of you whale on camps to clear them quick. Then the tanker goes back to base while the other goes back to lane. They'll get to free-farm a wave or two, but your jungle and lane will be much safer and you won't have missed much. Who knows, maybe you'll even get lucky and their top or bot will be dumb enough to give a free gank.
1B) Screw the jungle. Jungle is useful for the experience and the gank-threat. If neither of those are working for you, sit back and get lane xp w/o pushing. Or push it crazy-hard for a wave, then go double-jungle quickly.
1C) Roam two. As long as you get *some* xp here and there, it's okay if they beat you to lv6 as long as you're not giving up a double-kill or two.

2) Switch up runes, masteries, and items to be as early-game friendly as possible. Bulk and regen rather than offense should keep you from giving up cheap kills that will snowball the enemy team.

Ashrayn

12-08-2012

Thanks, that helps. I think one of our problems is not enough coordination during the laning phase; we kind of all just go to our lanes/camps and do our thing. Going to try coordinating ganks to be 3man when possible.
Also shifting item build more to help out early.

Environ

12-08-2012

lets put it this way, I was jax with as much MR as possible while buildign damage/attack speed
was 5-0-4
mumu 0-7-3 ( something that bad)
he finally got a sunfire/black fire
couldnt even 1v1 him as a fed jax WITH MR

BraveryBeyond

12-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrayn View Post
Putting aside champions that are banned 95% of the time like Darius, Singed, and Teemo, my teammates often pick another champion with strong aoe, such as Jarvan, Wukong, Chogath, Rumble, and a champion with sustained damage like Lee Sin, Olaf, or Jax. Late game, we pretty much invariably stomp the enemy team, but the problem is getting there.
Tonight we fought against the same team twice, losing both times. They picked early game powerhouses like Riven, Xin, and Nocturne.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrayn View Post
Afterwards my teammates pressured me to play a stronger early champion (Noc), and while we we won the lvl 1 fight and put on a lot of early game pressure, I felt a lot weaker in later teamfights. Although we still won because our momentum let us get a lucky early inhib, we got aced several times from malph/lulu ults while olaf beat on us.
I'm probably the lowest ELO guy here and I can answer your question for you. Pretty sure you know the answer too, since I can just quote you to point it out.

The problem isn't an issue with Amumu, it's an issue with your composition. You said it yourself, your team focuses on having an extremely potent late game and suffers from a weak early game. So what happens when you face a team of not only strong early-game champions but players who press that advantage by pouring on pressure early? Well, you get stomped, plain and simple. They found the chink in your armour and you paid for it. No big deal, you just need to rework your strategy.

Next game you pick Nocturne. Not a bad move, since you have a player that can play a mean Cho'Gath, but this changes the entire dynamic of your team. Now you have two champions that are more single-target focused and only one that dishes out the AoE, so your original strategies won't work as well and you'll need to rely more on focusing down high priority targets as opposed to watching everyone drop 1/3 HP and panic. As for your observations, yes, Nocturne has a weak late game because his early and mid game are powerful. Every good champion should have a weakness and the two champions you're comparing are basically polar opposites. I doubt your inhibitor capture was as much luck as you think and more so that you're just not used to having that early game power.

So overall, what's the suggestion this is all leading up to? You should play Amumu and one of your other teammates should pick up an early game champion to cover your weakness, preferably the person who plays Lee/Olaf/Jax.

Your composition has a lot of good AoE and I don't think you should get rid of it. You seem to enjoy it and as far as you're telling us you and your team have been doing well with it. The weakness your composition has is that you have no early game presence which can be fixed by switching from one strong single target champion to another strong single-target champion. Switching from Lee/Olaf/Jax to Nocturne seems like a fluid change while keeping Amumu and Wukung (IMO the better of the three) to deal great CC and AoE damage all in three moves. Nocturne can still perform his duty (maybe even better now) of focusing high priority targets (the squishy damage dealer) by ulting in while Amumu and Wukong tangle up the rest of the team with CC and AoE damage a plenty. It's a simple and inelegant solution, but I think it'd work dandy.

Cya Bra

12-09-2012

I think the most important thing about this game(even in ranked) is finding the champ you love most and doing well with it. Amumus dmg falls off because he has to choose between defensive and offensive item builds. At high rated play its only viable if you have a lead in gold OR your teamfights are stronger.

Amumu can turn around the game Post 6 even if your team score is 0-5(+). With one team fight victory in the current meta of TT you can secure both altars shop and be back by the time the enemy altar unlocks (with amumu ult being back up) and force another teamfight or catch one off guard in the jungle.

However there are some cases that Amumu cant solve even Post 6. Thats against a 2 champions in particular,Kayle and Zyra. In high rated play the enemy Zyra will never be anywhere close to your amumu. She can stand in the back untouchable while summoning plants to harass. So when amumu ults 2/3 of there team Zyra can counter ult all 3 of your team and be nuking out serious dmg at the same time. The other issue Kayle is obvious, Her ult can completely shut down your teamfight presence. Kayles also a great top laner. So if she beats your top lane, and because Amumus early game is bad your bot lane is behind. Then even post 6 wont save you.

Most importantly you have to have a team who understands Amumu. I ran amumu/Anivia bot lane for 20+ Ranked games, you can make your own early game happen with coordination.
Hope this helps, add me in game and we can hit up some games sometime