Is Syndra good or does she need a buff?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xnenai

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjørne View Post
She is good, but she is high skill cap.

High skill cap = hard

Hard = effort in learning the champion

If you're willing to learn her, she can be quite powerful/fun :]
hard skill cap also = ridiculously OP

only catch to this is 80% of the community is so bad at learning these champions that they just complain they're (the champions) UP.

fletche00

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnenai View Post
hard skill cap also = ridiculously OP

only catch to this is 80% of the community is so bad at learning these champions that they just complain they're (the champions) UP.
What they said.

Syndra is fine, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY advise you not to listen to the pros and try her out yourself. I have had several people on forums bash her, then try her for a week and come back and talk about how powerful she is.

She is a snowballer with some ridiculous damage at high levels.

Most people call her UP, but all of her utility makes her amazing, not to mention the new items give her quite the buff. The skill cap w/ Syndra has to do with orb management (which most people dont want to deal with, therfore call her UP and broken) Think of her like a draven. You maximize Draven's dps by spinning axes, same w/ Syndra, you maximize her ult through orb placement/management

And as always, I will remind you, name 1 character who has an AOE stun that is not an ult. You can completely stop a team fight with a good Q > E. Try her yourself.

Ansaa

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMyshu View Post
Dem Stuns. I can't tell you how many allies I've saved with her stun and knock backs.
Agreed. With a bit of practice, you'll be able to reliably land your stuns. If you need to stun the whole team fight, Ult the closest target and then Scatter the spheres into the team. Stuns all of them!

Just went another game 10/4/5, vs Lux. Even with a long-ranged champ like Lux, Syndra can still win. I only died twice early game, due to 3 man ganks, and a laser!

Seriously, its a great tip for anyone with an ability like Dark Sphere: Aim it behind them, and they retreat right into it if they don't have great reactions (Or clue in to what you're doing... no one ever clues in!)
You also spike in power, right at level 9. All of a sudden, your Q hits 15% harder. Its a big difference, and all of a sudden people won't try poking you anymore, since you can take like 20% of their Hp away with one sphere, on a short Cd. If they retreat after you hit them, they just line themselves up perfectly for a stun! Then W+Q+R them and they're dead.

Early game, poke them with Dark Sphere, make sure you don't run too low on mana. Once you get to level 6 and its still a stalemate, you're probably both out of potions.
Stun them, W+Q+R+Ignite and you'll get em easy

"And as always, I will remind you, name 1 character who has an AOE stun that is not an ult. You can completely stop a team fight with a good Q > E. Try her yourself."

Annie with her passive has an AOE stun, right?

Orleos

12-06-2012

Syndra is in a bit of a bad spot right now. She can be rather strong, her Q damage is rather consistent, but her overall damage is inconsistent, which makes her a bad pick over someone else for mid.

She's rather like Cass with a spamming of her Q, I highly recommend smartcast, but because Q lacks a significant area of effect, it takes time for the sphere to 'materialize and detonate', it makes it extremely easy to dodge. Also, because of her playstyle, while lacking Cass's Deadly Cadence, I feel a ToG/Early Athene's is a must.

Her W, for the picking up of spheres and minions, is good, I find this to be an overall good ability, Especially considering the range is has, which can allow you to harass without worry of being blasted back, and the fact that you can cast it while moving. However, I feel the tether time is to low, and the minion/sphere itself doesn't move as fast when thrown, and the Cool Down is rather high.

Maybe make it so that every time she casts Q, the cooldown is lowered on W, that way spamming Q is rewarded or something.

Her E, I love for it's knockback, and while I feel the stun is also good, the aiming with it is a bit wonky. While I love the fact that I can 'curve the shot'. Sometimes, I feel as if I've hit the sphere head on, and it still curves off in a direction I didn't intend it to go, and I miss my target.

A stacking damage of multiple spheres hitting a target, would also be nice, and you could make it so that champions take 25% reduced damage after the first. I would like this, because if I've blown up my enemy with my Q and Ulti, there are so many spheres around, that an effect like that would have some potential.

Her ultimate, is also something I have a problem with, and in this regard, she's like Swain, at least from the way I've understood it. It's a number of shots, over and over, each hitting for it's individual damage, which when MR is built, lessens it's overall power considerably, because for all intents and purposes, it is a DoT.

When you are on the lower end of the sphere count and you fire it, it deals overall, less damage than a singular chunk ultimate, but when you're on the higher end of the sphere count, it has the potential to do more. There's only one problem though, Sphere's do not last long enough.

She's given a base amount of 3 Spheres, with max cdr, I can probably get out an additional 3, maybe a 4th if I'm very lucky. The reason why I want her spheres to last longer, is purely for the ultimate. Finding something to grab with your W is not a problem, conjuring a sphere with Q is not a problem, but to be honest, I want her Ultimate to feel like a threat.

In a team fight, to build up my ultimate to it's 'killing/threatening potential', I have to fire off multiple spheres, and then find someone with her ulti's semi-low range while the spheres last.

Meanwhile, most other APCs have no problem clicking R rather quickly, and getting their ultis full potential on demand, with exception to Cass or Brand.

Mostly, these are my complaints about Syndra, and what I would like to see happen to her, if I'm wrong on anything damage calculation wise for her ultimate or something else, just tell me.

Ansaa

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orleos View Post
Syndra is in a bit of a bad spot right now. She can be rather strong, her Q damage is rather consistent, but her overall damage is inconsistent, which makes her a bad pick over someone else for mid.

She's rather like Cass with a spamming of her Q, I highly recommend smartcast, but because Q lacks a significant area of effect, it takes time for the sphere to 'materialize and detonate', it makes it extremely easy to dodge. Also, because of her playstyle, while lacking Cass's Deadly Cadence, I feel a ToG/Early Athene's is a must.

Her W, for the picking up of spheres and minions, is good, I find this to be an overall good ability, Especially considering the range is has, which can allow you to harass without worry of being blasted back, and the fact that you can cast it while moving. However, I feel the tether time is to low, and the minion/sphere itself doesn't move as fast when thrown, and the Cool Down is rather high.

Maybe make it so that every time she casts Q, the cooldown is lowered on W, that way spamming Q is rewarded or something.

Her E, I love for it's knockback, and while I feel the stun is also good, the aiming with it is a bit wonky. While I love the fact that I can 'curve the shot'. Sometimes, I feel as if I've hit the sphere head on, and it still curves off in a direction I didn't intend it to go, and I miss my target.

A stacking damage of multiple spheres hitting a target, would also be nice, and you could make it so that champions take 25% reduced damage after the first. I would like this, because if I've blown up my enemy with my Q and Ulti, there are so many spheres around, that an effect like that would have some potential.

Her ultimate, is also something I have a problem with, and in this regard, she's like Swain, at least from the way I've understood it. It's a number of shots, over and over, each hitting for it's individual damage, which when MR is built, lessens it's overall power considerably, because for all intents and purposes, it is a DoT.

When you are on the lower end of the sphere count and you fire it, it deals overall, less damage than a singular chunk ultimate, but when you're on the higher end of the sphere count, it has the potential to do more. There's only one problem though, Sphere's do not last long enough.

She's given a base amount of 3 Spheres, with max cdr, I can probably get out an additional 3, maybe a 4th if I'm very lucky. The reason why I want her spheres to last longer, is purely for the ultimate. Finding something to grab with your W is not a problem, conjuring a sphere with Q is not a problem, but to be honest, I want her Ultimate to feel like a threat.

In a team fight, to build up my ultimate to it's 'killing/threatening potential', I have to fire off multiple spheres, and then find someone with her ulti's semi-low range while the spheres last.

Meanwhile, most other APCs have no problem clicking R rather quickly, and getting their ultis full potential on demand, with exception to Cass or Brand.

Mostly, these are my complaints about Syndra, and what I would like to see happen to her, if I'm wrong on anything damage calculation wise for her ultimate or something else, just tell me.
Just went 7/0/5, they chose to surrender. Syndra vs Teemo mid!

Her sphere is not "easy to dodge" unless the Syndra player is bad. The delay isn't so huge that its impossible or extremely difficult to land. The fact that you can move and cast at the same time needs to be used! For its short CD and huge damage, if you can land these a lot you'll deals great damage. You always need a chalice, or even a grail though.

Her W can deal good damage, but Transcendant makes Q much better when it comes to actual fights. Once again, they reduced the time it takes to use this spell in one of her buffs, so its not so easy to dodge now. OLD Syndra was easy to dodge, current syndra is fine! Have you played her recently?

Her E is what adds to her difficulty, if you can land these you are good. The aiming is simple, after playing her a few times I got used to the width of the knockback, but late game E is something new to learn too. Still though, nothing wrong with this spell. It has a long CD, which means you NEED to land it, otherwise you're done.

Her Ult is what allows her to burst and surprise so well. Don't fire it at 3 spheres unless you're aiming for a team-wide stun or you're sure the target will die, and no other spell is usable. ALSO, a common Syndra mistake is people place spheres JUST to use the Ult. Thats bad! Never revolve your whole attack plan around 1 ult. Bad idea!

Wear them down with your Trancendant Qs, Stun them then Q+W+R+Ignite=dead!

A few tips: Don't place spheres just for the sake of your ultimate.
Always move, you can cast and move... Do it!
Aim your spells behind the target. They'll back up away from it, and right into it by instinct.
Practice landing your stuns, and practice landing your stuns on a target behind you, as if you are fleeing.
Get AP, and Magic Penetration. CDR is exactly needed, your CD on Q is low enough, and like I said, don't think about placing spheres just so you can ult.

Orleos

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansaa View Post
Just went 7/0/5, they chose to surrender. Syndra vs Teemo mid!

Her sphere is not "easy to dodge" unless the Syndra player is bad. The delay isn't so huge that its impossible or extremely difficult to land. The fact that you can move and cast at the same time needs to be used! For its short CD and huge damage, if you can land these a lot you'll deals great damage. You always need a chalice, or even a grail though.

Her W can deal good damage, but Transcendant makes Q much better when it comes to actual fights. Once again, they reduced the time it takes to use this spell in one of her buffs, so its not so easy to dodge now. OLD Syndra was easy to dodge, current syndra is fine! Have you played her recently?

Her E is what adds to her difficulty, if you can land these you are good. The aiming is simple, after playing her a few times I got used to the width of the knockback, but late game E is something new to learn too. Still though, nothing wrong with this spell. It has a long CD, which means you NEED to land it, otherwise you're done.

Her Ult is what allows her to burst and surprise so well. Don't fire it at 3 spheres unless you're aiming for a team-wide stun or you're sure the target will die, and no other spell is usable. ALSO, a common Syndra mistake is people place spheres JUST to use the Ult. Thats bad! Never revolve your whole attack plan around 1 ult. Bad idea!

Aim your spells behind the target. They'll back up away from it, and right into it by instinct.
Practice landing your stuns, and practice landing your stuns on a target behind you, as if you are fleeing.
Get AP, and Magic Penetration. CDR is exactly needed, your CD on Q is low enough, and like I said, don't think about placing spheres just so you can ult.
You beat a Teemo mid, good for you. I'd be surprised if you lost.

I have played her recently, many times in fact. I'm talking in the overall grand scheme of things, outside of lane phase.

Lane phase, she's fine.

Outside of Lane Phase, she's lackluster.

I know to keep moving, I know not to place sphere's merely for the ulti, her damage, overall as an AP carry, is inconsistent. You're telling me the basics of Syndra, meanwhile, she still has some glaring problems that stops her from being a Grade A pick.

As for Q dodging, it's like dodging Cass's Q, semi-short range, and pretty easy to keep moving from. The trick is predicting where they'll be, not where they are, but the shorter range of Q, combined with it's delay, makes it rather easy to dodge, because I've played as Syndra and against Syndra.

PinkGabriel

12-06-2012

I bought Syndra maybe about a month ago. I was excited to play her and enjoy the time when I do. My only complaint is that you have to be (what I would consider) close to use your ultimate, which is a bit annoying as most of her moves have a fairly decent range. Other than that I think she is good, she could use a buff or two in a few areas but so could a lot of other champions.

Granted I am not very good but I do have a tip or two.
1) Don't always relay on your ult.
2) Turns out I only have one tip

Something that I do like to do every now and then is use my ult early in a team fight then use my "E" to scatter the team and hopefully land some stuns.

PluggWolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansaa View Post

In a situation like you're describing here, your ult should be the killing blow. No ignite should be needed unless you didn't set this up right.

Don't place spheres for the sake of my ultimate? If I'm in lane and I know a fully built ult is going to kill them you bet your ass I am placing spheres all up in that ****.

Always move is really not a strategy for this champ. It's a strategy for League of Legends and all MOBA's really. If you don't keep moving, you will die.

That's not always right at all. If you play properly you predict your opponents moves and know they will throw their **** behind you with the intent for you to run over it. That's why you don't do that. Unless you bad.

Rykaal

12-06-2012

I play Syndra quite often mid and I just have a few comments. For 1, she is more of a late game carry when I play her, her damage is decent early with a few mana problems. But late game she can take out a carry in about 2-3 spheres and an ult alone.

So high skill cap, high reward if played right, being able to just nuke down a squishy with her ult and only 2 spheres up is really amusing. And then continuing to stun the entire enemy team.

Gruteng

12-06-2012

syndra is pretty good, she is just underrated.