Do you like these ideas?

Yes 20 46.51%
No 13 30.23%
I like Most 6 13.95%
I like part. 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on Elo/Ranked.

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ElephantOnFireee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

Ranked/Elo
(Solo/Duo 5s)
First I will explain the common complaints/problems with the current elo system that I hear on a regular basis. Then I will give my thoughts/ideas on possible solutions to the problems.
Problems
· People who troll. Either because they have a disagreement with a teammate during the game or because someone else picked the role they wanted during champion selection.
· People who AFK/Disconnect.
· People who do poorly and cause the team to lose/suffer. *On purpose or otherwise.
Ideas/Solutions
· Award players who do well.
· Punish players who do poorly.
· Punish people for trolling on purpose.

My thought on this is to award players elo for getting kills/assists without tons of deaths.
I have a couple thoughts on this, but like anything this would have to be tested/tweaked to find the right numbers.
First thought, the most simple one, although in my mind probably not the most accurate.
(Kills + Assists – Deaths)*0.25 = Change in elo.
Example (10kills + 4Assists – 7 Deaths)*.25 = 1.75Change in elo Rounded to +2.0 Extra elo.
Example (1Kill + 28Assists – 4 Deaths)*.25 = 6.25 Change in elo Rounded to +6 Extra Elo.
Example (3Kills + 4 Assists – 12 Deaths)*.25 = -1.25 Change in elo Rounded to -1 Elo Loss.
Second, builds on the first, but with more advanced math and scaling.
(Kills + (Assists/2) – Deaths)*.25 = Change in Elo
Ok so same numbers for Examples
(10 Kills + (4 Assists/2) – 7 Deaths)*.25 = 1.25Change in Elo Rounded to +1 Extra Elo
(1Kill + (28 Assists/2) – 4 Deaths)*25 = 2.5Change in Elo Rounded to +3 Extra Elo
(3Kills + (4 Assists/2) – 12Deaths)*.25 = -1.75Change in Elo Rounded to -2 Elo Loss.

With this Method Riot could easily tweak the elo changes via the multipliers.
I also would imagine that there should be some cap on this. Make it where people can only gain or lose 5 elo from this per game. *Again Numbers subject to change. And the Gain and lose wouldn’t have to be the same, for example could be able to gain 5 while only losing 2.
*This method would keep massive assist supports from gaining more elo than other roles.
So in the grand scheme of things, take a game where you lose, but do well say you should lose 11 elo based on the current system, now you could potentially only lose 6 elo if you do well, while the person causing the team to do poorly would lose up to 16.
Not only would this help better players maintain their elo so as not to be sucked down into “Elo Hell” while punishing players that cause your team to lose, thereby separating the players who are doing well at current elo from those dragging them down.

· Punish people for leaving.
A lot of people would like to keep their elo when a teammate quits/leaves/DCs. However this is not a viable long term solution, due to being easily exploitable. However, there is a simpler solution. Punish those causing the problem by lowering their elo. This would cause players to rethink leaving, the current mindset is if we are going to lose, what does it matter if I’m here. Well this would make it matter, which would also make for more opportunities for comebacks, that would not exist with a 4v5.
Great, so now how to keep players from disconnecting and causing a 4v5. When looking for a game (Applying only to Ranked Solo/Duo), do a quick connection check, if the players ping is in the “Red” don’t let them join a ranked game until they have corrected it. This will lower the odds of a player repeatedly disconnecting due to latency.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, please comment with ideas, changes suggestions, and make sure you vote, on the quality of these ideas, I would like to know if others like/dislike these suggestions.

ElephantOnFireee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2012

I see several people have viewed the thread, and I am curious what others think. If you would please post your constructive comments/concerns and alternatives that you have. Also please vote, and if you vote that you don't like it, please tell me what it is that you don't like.

Cosmixkey

12-05-2012

I honestly love this idea, this would realy make players who play and work to raise, instead of going down because of the trolls who feed and such, +1 buddy

ElephantOnFireee

12-05-2012

Thanks for the response, that was the point of the idea. also to those 3 of you that voted that you don't like it, please explain why, I'm left to believe you either don't understand it, or you are part of the problem described. If you have a point to make that is legitimate please do so.

Hiryato

12-05-2012

There's way more to this game than kills and deaths. Are you gonna award someone that buys and places wards regularly? How do you mathematically calculate positioning and map control? What about those low kill, high farm games? how do you reward CS? This isn't a halo or cod where individual skill is easily measurable, this is a team game. The only thing I see this promoting is more ppl fighting over mid and adc, supports stealing kills on purpose, and tanks being nonexistent because of their usually low scores.

Nearly

12-05-2012

Sometimes, I think we should be able to report their builds. I played a ranked game & 34 minutes in our blitzcrank had merc treads and a manamune with about 30 cs. 34 minutes in, even just sitting in base, you would have enough money to buy better items.

ElephantOnFireee

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiryato View Post
There's way more to this game than kills and deaths. Are you gonna award someone that buys and places wards regularly? How do you mathematically calculate positioning and map control? What about those low kill, high farm games? how do you reward CS? This isn't a halo or cod where individual skill is easily measurable, this is a team game. The only thing I see this promoting is more ppl fighting over mid and adc, supports stealing kills on purpose, and tanks being nonexistent because of their usually low scores.
Tanks will be getting extra elo based on assists, cant really reward for wards, as someone could just buy 50 wards at the end of the game and drop them in the base, so no real simple way of regulating that, however the wards ect, will help get your team kills, which in turn gets you more assists. On the stolen kills part, the supports will want to get thier adc/ap more fed. The more fed your team, the more assists. Based on kills or assists, all roles should be getting the same bonus elo based on thier performance/contribution to the kdr of thier team.

Again the math may need ajusted one way or the other for high assist champs to be the same.

There are many factors that contribute to the overall outcome of the game, but they all boil down to kills or assists in the end, if you're doing things right, your team should come out on top of the kdr.

Also, on the point of the occasional close game you mention, low kills high CS, there is nothing wrong with those games now. Those are Close games, those are not the games that I'm talking about fixing, if both teams are pretty even and no one on your team is feeding, afking ect, then the current system works about as well as any elo system can.

Also Thanks for your feedback and feel free to continue the discussion.

ElephantOnFireee

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwaGGalikeJaGGer View Post
Sometimes, I think we should be able to report their builds. I played a ranked game & 34 minutes in our blitzcrank had merc treads and a manamune with about 30 cs. 34 minutes in, even just sitting in base, you would have enough money to buy better items.
Reporting a player for not building items that you think they should is not really a good solution, not everyone has the same cookie cutter build idea that works for them. Based on your runes ect, you may or may not need to build in a certain way to be effective, however, if they are not playing the champ to his/her full potential, I believe this is refelcted in thier score, if their build is costing your team, then they will not be able to get the assists,kill ect that they should be able to.

Thanks for the response.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-05-2012

Elo rating is a measure of how good you are at winning matches.

Your system gives Elo weight to something other than winning matches, thereby making Elo less accurate.

ElephantOnFireee

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
Elo rating is a measure of how good you are at winning matches.

Your system gives Elo weight to something other than winning matches, thereby making Elo less accurate.

That is my intent, that is the problem with using elo, as it is designed for 2 player games such as Chess where it is 1v1, not team games.

12345 ... 6