Swain theorycrafters?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Level 5 Pikachu

12-05-2012

Any builds for Swain? I've been trying out the new items (Iceborn Gauntlet, Liandry's, Twin Shadows, Mikael's, Shard of True Ice) and I think that out of those, only Liandry's and possibly Iceborn are worth it.Twin Shadows is borderline for me, and Mikael's is situational for me. Other than that, I still like RoA/Athene's/Abyssal/FH/Deathcap/Zhonya's/WotA on him.

Currently my build is: RoA, Athene's, Zhonya's, Liandry's, Abyssal and then boots. Any opinions/comments?

Voidgolem

12-05-2012

...why the hell are you buying support and tank items on Swain, it's pretty obvious who they're meant for.

Your suggested build lacks Rylais, DFG, Deathcap, and WotA. Would suggest changing that.

Level 5 Pikachu

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidgolem View Post
...why the hell are you buying support and tank items on Swain, it's pretty obvious who they're meant for.

Your suggested build lacks Rylais, DFG, Deathcap, and WotA. Would suggest changing that.
I use Deathcap and WotA sometimes, but I feel DFG isn't as useful on Swain with the huge nerfs and Rylai's costs too much for its lackluster stats (Swain already has a slow, and AoE reduces slow amount).

Swain also gets into teamfights and does sustained damage (unless you blow everything on a squishy, then they will probably die quickly), so I feel he needs to have some more tanky stats to help him live. Zhonya's synergizes with his ult and since you're in the heart of the enemy team, Abyssal aura works. Just my opinion though.

LVIXI

12-05-2012

im staying with the build i used last season until i can find a really good item that works on him
Edit: also my build was RoA > Abyssal > deathcap or wota. then zhonyas and either a FH or banshee's

Squirrelagator

12-05-2012

You should almost always build Deathcap on Swain. The massive damage spike means he can heal more in his ult and you can kill things faster. You can easily get tankiness from the rest of your items due to the massive options AP champs have in itemization.

Level 5 Pikachu

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicanwookie View Post
im staying with the build i used last season until i can find a really good item that works on him
Liandry's works pretty well with him imo

Bynaar

Recruiter

12-05-2012

My build in S2 was: Sorc Boots, Athene's, Deathcap for nearly every game.
Other items would be Abyssal, Rylai's, Void Staff, Wota, or Zhonya's depending on the game.

I haven't been mid yet, but I'm probably gonna be considering Liandry's over Rylais, though rylai's is a really nice item.

Archangel's looks like it might be nice too, but I'll likely build it in one or two games to see how it turns out.

Level 5 Pikachu

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelagator View Post
You should almost always build Deathcap on Swain. The massive damage spike means he can heal more in his ult and you can kill things faster. You can easily get tankiness from the rest of your items due to the massive options AP champs have in itemization.
I sometimes skip Athene's and get a Deathcap later on in the game (imo RoA Swain>Athene's Swain) and then make up for my lack of MR with Abyssal.

Toxic Toothpick

12-05-2012

new Archangel's Staff seems rather decent for Swain.
His Ultimate will very quickly stack it, and if he shields himself for a bunch he buys some time to heal.
More mana is also more ult time, so that works out well too.

LVIXI

12-05-2012

Also, imo I dont get items like Athene's or DFG or Archangel's on Swain because if you can last hit you wont have mana problems and RoA Is just better on him all around