[Featured Discussion] Xerath's big problem

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anduraga

12-03-2012

The problem I have with Xerath is why play him when there's Syndra. She doesn't have as much range as he does while in his W mode, but she has more uses than Xerath. I used to like him, but since Syndra's release, seriously 0 point in playing him. Shorter CDs, more utility, doesn't have to sit still to fire her combo or deal more damage, his auto-attack animation is about as bad Fiddlesticks or Karthus. I just find it difficult to enjoy him these days.

Probably doesn't help that Syndra is probably my all-time favorite champ (and overbuffed imo). Just slapping people in the face with my balls is refreshing.

Raptor J3sus

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathour View Post
Weak laning phase -> insane team-melting lategame.

You can't have both. You ether have a strong early and weak late, strong late and weak early, or average in both. Xerath with a Dcap/Void Staff/Sorc Shoes/AUG/Morello's Evil Tome/other situational item is scary enough that he can melt TANKS.
He needs an ult rework to make it feel less clunky and perhaps a bit shorter casting times. His damage output doesn't need to be changed one bit.

Me: oh hi darius.

Darius: Sup

Me: You can't beat me early game, Im renekton!

Darius: want to bet?

* First Blood *- Darius

Me: wow 10 hp

Darius: Come at me bro, just wait til late game

Later....

*PENTA KILL*

A2ZOMG

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2860469

Xerath is really outdated imo.

Tosin Loads

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3mon Guillot1ne View Post
Me: oh hi darius.

Darius: Sup

Me: You can't beat me early game, Im renekton!

Darius: want to bet?

* First Blood *- Darius

Me: wow 10 hp

Darius: Come at me bro, just wait til late game

Later....

*PENTA KILL*
Rock beats scissors, your point?

harry13aals

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah12321blah View Post
Xerath's kit is only good for one thing, bro: damage. Xerath has no utility except a single-target stun that must be performed in 2 parts and one of those is a skillshot, that's already pretty ridiculous for an AP carry. Did you realize that Draven and Varus (AD carries, oh god) sit on Xerath's face in terms of CC?

Xerath can't peel.

Xerath's effects are delayed on every single one of his spells, except arguably Mage Chains (E) at melee range. In the whole Flash+Ignite+Gapcloser+Omgwtfbbq meta, that's another ridiculous disadvantage. Said delayed effects also do absolutely nothing if you die before they land (and everybody knows it and abuses it). It's like if Ezreal died to an Ignite after firing his ult, ult would deal no damage. Or teemo shrooms doing nothing while he's dead. In actual play it's just a disgusting thing to witness.

Xerath doesn't deal damage based on %missing HP or current HP or max HP.

So when you're talking about his kit, no wonder people wouldn't want to use said kit, it's bad. It's a fact, we have to deal with it. Compare with Blitz who would certainly still be useful with any randomly-generated set of items.

Ultimately, Xerath can't do anything useful for his team other than damaging. He thus needs every single bit of AP and Mpen he can get, because his ratios are good at the very least.

Not getting Void Staff makes him completely useless against high MR targets, unless he roots himself. That's precisely when those same targets who unfortunately happen to be CC tanks or bruisers most of the time, jump at him and tear him a new one, and he can't do anything about it.

If you've played Xerath in ranked feel free to share your experience too, because i have, and that's what i've learned from it.
Be realistic: Xerath has more CC than Draven. Also, CC isn't relevant to this conversation, otherwise I'd recommend CDR itemization. Lastly, I never meant to comment on Xerath's strength, only perceived flaws in one build, given the kit he has.

If you want damage, why would you choose to build a stat that's redundant with your kit and stacks poorly with it? Even if your W is down, why not build flat pen or AP instead of %pen (maybe CDR even)? Flat pen is usually accompanied by defense stats, which maybe aren't ideal on a long-range caster, but maybe they're not that bad either. AP gives you armor based on your passive - again, maybe not needed given Xerath's range. However, if you have this great range, do you really need to be concerned with burning down the tanky targets? If you can hit them, the squishies should be much higher priority.

Admittedly, I don't play Xerath, but if you gave any other champ a %pen skill, I'd be arguing just the same for them. On top of that, void staff is already a rare item to see APs buy, so I honestly don't understand why Xerath players tend to recommend it as much as they do. Especially given the change in penetration application for S3, I would expect flat pen is a much better option than void staff.

KevinDelMarr

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduraga View Post
The problem I have with Xerath is why play him when there's Syndra. She doesn't have as much range as he does while in his W mode, but she has more uses than Xerath. I used to like him, but since Syndra's release, seriously 0 point in playing him. Shorter CDs, more utility, doesn't have to sit still to fire her combo or deal more damage, his auto-attack animation is about as bad Fiddlesticks or Karthus. I just find it difficult to enjoy him these days.

Probably doesn't help that Syndra is probably my all-time favorite champ (and overbuffed imo). Just slapping people in the face with my balls is refreshing.
Wow, this is the most desperate attempt to say Xerath is outclassed I've seen yet. Lux and Kog'Maw make convincing arguments, but this just, pathetic.

Ryuujinmaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

Dannamoth. The problem with Xerath, aside from needing 40% CDR to be effective at sieging, is that unless you rush cap into other big AP items, his Q will never clear a wave. That is a huge problem. It means if you get slightly behind with him, you will lose your lane (from a pushing standpoint) as the other mid can clear and roam, while you have to auto attack the minions to finish the wave. This is really problematic against popular champs like Ori, Ahri, Morg, pretty much any real AOE mid champ who can clear a wave with a full set of skills and leave to gank with little resistance from Xerath.

A2ZOMG

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuujinmaru View Post
Dannamoth. The problem with Xerath, aside from needing 40% CDR to be effective at sieging, is that unless you rush cap into other big AP items, his Q will never clear a wave. That is a huge problem. It means if you get slightly behind with him, you will lose your lane (from a pushing standpoint) as the other mid can clear and roam, while you have to auto attack the minions to finish the wave. This is really problematic against popular champs like Ori, Ahri, Morg, pretty much any real AOE mid champ who can clear a wave with a full set of skills and leave to gank with little resistance from Xerath.
This 9001 times.

That, and his mana costs are too high for what his skills currently do.

K0nundrum

12-03-2012

Xerath is one of the most fun champs to play imo. He is extremely underrated and underplayed and i think it is a shame. Hopefully one day a pro player will come along and show the world the true power of xerath just as HotshotGG did for Nidalee

A2ZOMG

12-03-2012

He's not really underrated. He's not awful persay, but he has some really glaring weaknesses in the current meta. Most noticeably, he's not a very good pusher.