Shattering the concept that ELO is a measurement of a Players skill with a Champion.

1234511 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

phatcat09

Senior Member

12-03-2012

Please Comment and Vote THIS IS NOT A 5 minute read, take time to read everything carefully a number of you are coming up with false conclusions. THIS includes the Preface.

READ EVERYTHING

Since this thread is getting attention I'd also like to make it my apology for the horrible things I've yelled at people in game! plur
I read all comments.

READ EVERYTHING

This is a Multi-Platinum player supported analysis
Last Updated: 4:00PM 12/8/12

Short Version (No Elo ties): http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...php?p=32318270
On Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...a_measurement/
Originally: na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2840309

Preface:

Yes there are a number of memes and examples to keep you entertained while reading.

The following is a guide to help players understand what ELO represents from a contextual level. It is not an argument for what ELO is not, outside of the primary assertion that it is not a measurement of your ability to play a Champion alone, I acknowledge that there are multiple ways to present ELO as explained in this document, but believe presenting it in the correct way will yield better understanding and less frustration about ELO as an indication of player worth. Please bare this in mind while reading forward.

If you don't want to read this because it's too long then do everyone a favor and keep it to yourself -- no one cares that you have a short attention span -- this is for people who want to learn
The Message contained below is not a NEW message. Just because you understand doesn't mean everyone does or should know without being told, not everything is written for you, but if you ignore this post and don't get something out of it because it seems rudimentary please remember we don't need to hear about how good YOU are this is for players who need help!

Don't just vote read! The information can help you or serve as a reminder.

You are not a Toxic person don't let names define who you are or you'll become it.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Dynamic Entry!

It's a common misconception that the game will suddenly be more interesting and exciting as you progress in ELO, past a certain point, this is simply not true, don't delude yourself with the unobtainable and cause added frustration. I want more people to feel empowered to make the better decision when the situation arises by having a set of criteria to think on before engaging haphazardly with your champion. If there is one Metaphor I can give to help those who are even having trouble understanding the text below it's that you are like an untrained fighter. From the streets. You know and have an idea of what hurts and how to do it, and you may be able to perform it very well, but up against a trained fighter you are no match ask yourself WHY. Is it because the other person is stronger than you? No. all things being equal if you as a fighter are of equitable strengths then the only reason you left to consider is that the trained fighter has knowledge you haven't considered because you've just "done" all your life. It's all you know. Bring it back to LoL. Accepting the information below isn't an admission of innate weakness it's a sign of strength to see the limit you've reached and work to defeat the things holding you back which in the context of League of Legends is the Following:[/I][/B]

----------------------------------------------------------------

It is Observed:

ELO is not a direct indicator of a players skill with champions or champion roles.

ELO is an Indirect indicator of overall-skill by a correlating series of variables.

Your skill level with a particualr champion or champion type does not cause your ELO to rise. (although I'd love to play a game where it does!)

But rather your efficiency at Core skill areas causes your ELO to rise.

Ergo ELO is a measurement of your ability to perform well in key skill areas as they arise per game, and the measurement of efficiency as a ratio between consistency and mastery, sub-sequentially leading to the greater statement that ELO is an indicator of likelihood of Success. (i.e it stands reasonable to believe that if you play well you are more likely to succeed -- so ELO shows both how consistently successful you are and how good you are at the core skill areas.) and in fact can not independently represent either and must represent both simultaneously because of it.

Defined

Efficiency: [Read observed Proficiency to implement the Core Skill Area concepts (i.e you must do it well, not just understand how) and Consistency in implementing the Core Skill Area concepts (i.e it is not enough to do it right once, you must learn how to do the steps consistently game to game)]

Skill: 1. the ability to do something well; expertise: difficult work, taking great skill 2. a particular ability: the basic skills of cooking

E.G 1 (Miigi has demonstrated great skill in reasoning) E.G 2 (Miigi has learned the Skill HM01, but cut isn't very successful)

With this in mind consider the following:
----------------------------------------------------------------

"Teach a Man to fish..."

Core Skill Areas In order of importance:

1. Map Awareness
2. Ability to gauge an opponents power level vs your own (Also not falling behind in your farm -- your power level wont increase unless you buy the items to increase your power. Champion levels are not enough and I fall off quickly after level 6 for most Champions.)
3. Analyzing your Environment before properly motioning to engage in a fight. (How to properly start a team fight, how to make the environment work for you, how to not put yourself out of position, how to cut people off)
4. Global Utility vs Champion utility
.
.
.
5. Actual Combat (Lane, Gank, Teamfight, and 1 v 1) [Note: Special case - 5 is considered a Core Skill area;however, it is also the least needed to be TAUGHT for becoming Efficient at playing the game. Playing a champion and getting better with the champion comes naturally with practice and observation; it is easily identifiable by the novice as something they understand that they need to get better with to play well, but for the purposes of this thread we are only considering 1 - 4 being the underrepresented of the 5. They should truly be taught in order 1 - 5. Otherwise the Status Quo occurs, misunderstandings of what the proverbial "being good" means. This in no way indicates 5 is unimportant. It's just not the most important to come to understand because it so readily apparent.

Note: Sometimes sitting down and pounding a way different strategies for heroes helps you grow finding the best play style for your particular personal strengths. I can't last hit to save my life because of the types of heroes I play who don't rely on that ability, but I have a ridiculous sense of map awareness playing Evelynn which gives me great insight into typical player movements

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is the Breakdown

First and foremost quiet your mind I can already feel 40% of you saying no in your heads. You literally just wrote off my assertions before even hearing my support.

If you're doing this already then don't bother reading because you'll read it under an unfair lens, know I'm trying to help it can't HURT you to try it.

1. Map Awareness

1. Imagine if you will that the entire map was revealed (iseedeadpeople), including stealth units. Ask yourself: "Why would I ever die from a gank again if this was true?" If you can not avoid being ganked for an entire game then inherently you are doing something wrong, because it stands that the only reason ganks are successful is because of the element of surprise. Eliminate the element of surprise and then there is nothing else preventing you from knowing someone is about to gank you. This can be done by taking in other sensory stimulus (auditory and visual) to determine where people are, or more importantly where they AREN'T, it's almost impossible to know the exact location of where someone is at all times, but it is more than feasible to understand where they aren't.

If you have low map-awareness it's probably do to the fact you don't play a diverse amount of roles that require you to be more aware of the map. Stealth Units, Champions with traps, Junglers, and Supports all learn a degree of map awareness that can aid you in determining where the other players are on the map. These roles will give you greater insight into player behavior and movement and help you better judge when enemy champions are coming or where they are jungling.

I can honestly say if you're playing Evelynn and you don't have at least 1 successful kill on the enemy jungle you're doing something very wrong! One of your primary objectives should be stalking the jungle as a counter if applicable to your team composition, that is to say your team can do dual solo lanes while you roam.

In addition you must be aware of where people are on the map at all time including yourself! A lot of people forget that the minimap gives the location of every player indiscriminately if they're in viewing range of an enemy minion. If you show to the enemy team that your entire team is top they're going to take advantage of teh time it will take for you to go to dragon or bottom to secure a tower kill or dragon kill, or any number of tactical advantage type moves.

Never, EVER indicate your presence to the other team you're hurting yourself by doing this! Go the long way if it means you'll stay in the shadows, avoid common warding areas. Out think the enemy, give them a false sense of security. Don't kill of their sight wards immediately lul them in to a false sense of security, and take advantage of their ignorance to create the correct situation for yourself and your team.

Watch your characters auto-movements to destinations, set-up ganks along the common walking paths etc.

The concept is boundless wards are non-essential for having a greater sense of map awareness and if you fail to develop the greater sense of map awareness you become crutched on wards.

If you're only using wards to watch baron and dragon, or to watch for river ganks; you're doing it inefficiently. You can maximize your wards potential by proactively warding areas you want to start fights in, and other techniques that are hard to discuss at length.

It IS possible to accurately locate people even if you don't know where they are by looking for the visual cues (red, blue, dragon respawn) that sense you have when you know the enemy team is at baron is a sense you can hone for knowing where they are/are not throughout the entire game.

Back to the lane:

If you die more than once to a gank from the bushes per game then you are doing something wrong and need to correct it, or you will lose your lane causing stress on the rest of your team. Ward the bush avoid the bush, be ready to escape, keep track of the Jungler, call out to each other different palyer behaviors. Examine when people are intentionally backing off because it could be a signal they're trying to get you to push for a successful gank.

After you've developed map awareness you'll become more confident in committing to taking towers since you'll be able to anticipate their movements better, and you'll never have to worry about the bushes again. So we've already eliminated one thing that holds players back, and you should be happy that it CAN be done! You can be better, but you must actively force yourself to keep track WATCH YOUR MINIMAP!

Inverse this concept in order to Gank more effectively as well. Create the illusion that you aren't there and you can literally gank your own lane. It's a technique I developed where you run in and out of bushes repeatedly making sure to harass the enemy hero, eventually they'll become complacent with that as your "lane strategy" and wont think anything of it if you don't pop out again, they'll just assume you'll likely be there. You can use this time of a bout 10-15 second window to go gank middle or any other lane or to go counter jungle or any number of things.

There are variations of the above technique to overcome others knowledge of its use.

2. Ability to gauge an opponents power level vs your own

2. Never start a fight you're not sure you can't win, if you're saying to yourself as you read this you can never be 100% sure. You're very wrong. This game is a numbers game with practice you can learn a few tricks for checking your opponents power level without the help of a scouter. Here are a few techniques I use while I'm playing that I've since learned to do in my head but you can do on paper, but you really shouldn't....

2a. Rapid Poke test: Test your opponents resistance by poking them with whatever poke spell you have, or basic attack. If there lifebar moves 1/10 with your poke, and that life amount doesn't refill in under 8 seconds it's a safe bet to assume that under the right conditions you will at least be able to damage them in a highly consistent manner, even against their resistances (Health/Health Regen/Defense) if your poke doesn't pass the test then stay the **** away and farm until it works! Always test your damage before engaging

If the odds are stacked against your favor (lower on life etc), and both players have equitable damage dealing classes, then the only difference (assuming all things consistent) comes down to is a players maneuvering ability and to the ability to mitigate damage on themselves -- Summoner spells, support buffs, etc.

These are the things by design that tip the scales of a fight to avoid the deadlock or from having one hero become unbearably overpowered in every fight because of their particular skill set. Exhaust and Heal and Cleanse are perfect examples of defensive damage mitigation abilities -- while Ghost and Flash make great maneuverability advantages. (avoiding skill shots creating distance). They can be also be used as temporary life supports so use them to get away even if you know you'll be caught that extra second you're alive could be the difference of a reverse kill or not (as discussed in the upcoming section 4).

Be extra weary of tank type characters and supports. They by design are capable of mitigating damage inherently and can trick you into a false sense of secured victory (Zilean) Watch for their utility type spells and summoner spells, when palyed correctly Supports are the MOST difficult to kill, don't be tricked into focusing them first (even if they are the squishiest) if their Champion skill level is greater than you ability to overcome it! Create the correct situation for yourself before engaging.

Side Note: Dota achieves a similar process through itemization -- aye all Mobas have these particular core-skill sets.

2b. Defense Check intentionally get hit by the enemies attack compare your own resistance opposite of 2A and make upgrades that will allow you to go in with the resistance advantage, don't just stack straight attack items. It can be in your favor to get health early if you're finding yourself in messy 2 vs 2. At the same time sacrificing defense if you can avoid the enemy players damage while increasing your attack power can help you overcome an enemy who's stacking health, but hitting weak. It's a beautiful balance really.

Apparently I have to mention that if you're not going to be able to 1 v 1 a hero then don't ever do it. Not every hero is suited for direct combat. I really didn't think I had to type this, but I do apparently...

As an Avid Evelynn player I can't stress how many games I've turned around by instinctively leading against the AP burst with exhaust at the start of a fight to render them useless for a window (FU ORIANA), simultaneously saving my team from being bursted down in AOE, while reciprocating with my own equally powerful burst. Massive psychological advantage.

Who you go after is just as important as who you don't go after.

Analyze the opposing teams strategy and prepare to counter!

Which is the perfect Segue into the next topic:


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

phatcat09

Senior Member

12-03-2012

3. Analyzing your Environment before properly motioning to engage in a fight.

3. This one would seem rudimentary and it's the most obvious of the ones out of the list, but I'm sure you all have scratched your heads about why someone would run along the same path as a champion they're chasing instead of trying to cut them off. Or when you're chasing someone through the jungle and instead of using their aoe's to check bushes they run face first and die almost instantly to a counter gank.

The first thing you need to be aware of when starting a fight is Everything.

These are common questions to consider before engaging in a fight.

1. What Summoner Spells do they have up?
2. When was the last time they used their ultimate?
3. Do they have escape abilities and if so how should I prepare to overcome their evasive maneuvers?
4. Where is their Jungler**?
5. What walls can be used to get away and how can I cut them off and would going the long way be better albeit seemingly the wrong decision.?
6. Where are the other enemy team members?
7. Do we have a tower to fall back on?
8. How soon until my team mates can get here and can I start the fight before they get here to bait the enemy team into chasing me to kill me at the point of their arrival?
9. Is Dragon up and can I get it?
10. Do I really need to push them now or can I have them push back to set-up a proper gank?

These are ways of assuring you aren't overextending without a backup plan or inefficiently using your hero abilities (your champions kit), that increase your chances of winning a fight or coming out 0-sum.

1. Checking bushes with AOE attacks to get a lead on or potentially prevent a counter gank when chasing through the jungle.

2. Monitor your in game clock for time in order to keep track of Jungler activities A jungler looks for the most deprived lane to gank (low life, low mana, summoner spells on cool down, ultimates blown, etc) so be aware of the image you're presenting while pushing down on the enemy, you may feel comfortable upholding a push, but the enemy team see's it as over-extension and will commit to a kill if they see you as an easily executed threat, challenging your skill with a champion in getting "tactfully-retreating" or counter-attacking, avoid this by simply not putting yourself in the situation in the first place. Your death is far more valuable than the few extra cs you may pick up with your heavy push.

3. Provide cover fire while tactfully-retreating with a mortally wounded ally. Don't just run away if you have a mobile-poke (one that won't cause your character to stop for to long). IF you're providing no cover fire your ally your just as responsible for their death as the enemy is. Throwing micro damage at an opponent may deter them from pursuing you both, or at the very least the extra damage your poke provides might be just what your ally needs to launch a big burst spell that was on CD as you ran away turning this hot pursuit into a reverse murder, and reverse murders are the all the rage ---- like planking or listening to Electronic Dance Music. In other words Every little bit helps. The fight doesn't stop when you run away!

4. Combo your hits. This one confuses a lot of people, but players have a way of perceiving how much damage they're taking verses how much they're doing verses how much more they can handle --- during any type of fight; However, what they have trouble understanding is readjusting their perceptions to account for simultaneous damage burst. That is to say using spells at the same time to out-burst someones ability to perceive and counter a threat properly. Using Evelynn's Ultimate in combination with Karthus, can create a devastating visual affect and damage output that over burdens the enemy with information causing them to improperly act with decisions to stay, flee, or any number of decisions that occur when your entire team has just been hit for 30-45% of their life 700 to 1000+ damage At the same time.

5. Combo your stuns and other support spells. To many times do people all use their stuns at the same time instead of saving them to lock an enemy hero down, or counter channeled ultimate (FU KATARINA). Be aware of what types of combinations you can do to maximize your CCs usage. These types of maneuvers shouldn't happen only by coincidence and are easy to enact.

6. Fake-out the enemy team by feigning that your going to assist another lane, or draw the enemies attention in two directions to distract them from whatever their goal is, make yourself appear to be a more desirable target when in actuality you wer baiting their attention away, make them THINK they're in control when in reality you're creating the correct situation for yourself and having them fall "right into my trap!"

7. CHILL OUT AND WAIT Just like in basketball make the game move at your pace, you don't have to keep up a push, you can stand still and wait for your cooldowns or life to return to to a healthy level before engaging in combat again. Pretend to leave an area and instead stay in a bush nearby, if done properly you'll fool the enemy team into thinking you've left because you expected them to come for you, but in reality you're taking advantage of their inability to truely know and can return to your tower push after you've come to a safe conclusion that they're far enough away that they wont be able to come for you in time.

8. Place wards over the side of your Base walls, these can help you be more aware of the incoming skill shots coming over the wall that could cause serious initiation problems.

9. Stay behind your tank, to some this may seem obvious, but to others you must understand that outpacing your tank into the fog of war or in initiating team fights can result in your entire teams failure. If you're an ADC then you're making up a large majority of your teams damage in a team fight, If you Face-check bushes first then you're putting yourself in a high risk situation -- These are the things that destroy your chances of winning a game. You're not just killing yourself, your taking half your teams DPS with you. A wise Toad once told me "You can't do any DPS if your dead.". Don't be selfish let the tank do his job! Just because you can take a few hits doesn't mean your the best suited for it, and more importantly consider where you're failing your team at if you aren't doing damage.

10. Don't leave your base if all your towers are down and all your lanes are pushed It drives me insane to watch people throw games away by carelessly leaving their base unattended. If all your towers are down and your base is virtually unprotected Don't leave your base there is no possible benefit in doing so. The enemy team has near full visual of the map so they now can best make every decision because they know where you aren't at all times. The only defense you have is the fact the enemy is forced to enter your base from one of three entrances. Instead of waltzing out into the lanes where the enemy could attack you from all sides and without warning; force them to come form only one direction and with terrain obstacles (narrow base entrances) helping you. Push after you've minimized the threat to your base (number of enemy champions alive, lanes pushed at least mid way to river) or if you're certain they're tied up at dragon or baron and can counter gank them.

4. Global Utility vs Champion utility

4. This section is the most difficult for me to explain, but in a nut shell the concept I'm trying to convey here is that you aren't utterly without any ability to assist your teammates in some way. The simplest way may be getting off that last hit instead of just dying. Do whatever you can stay off your death for a couple seconds longer to keep someone occupied until your teammates arrive. It's a team game support doesn't fall to one person. Anyone who's low on life an imminently dead should see it as an opportunity to pull of distraction maneuvers if they're suited for it.

Quote:
Enchantment - Captain: Allied champions moving towards you gain a movement speed boost. Additionally, nearby allied minions gain a large movement speed bonus
I will say that there are inherent risk when doing these maneuvers as they force you into using your champion at the peek of proficiency, there's little room for error, but learning the skills for these maneuvers can result in more favorable outcomes in those crutch situations.

4a.

1. Strategically using Teemos blind to save the life of a team mate. Instead of Blowing it right away in a team fight.

2. Running in and out of bushes to trick the enemy team in thinking your in the bushes constantly giving them a false since of map awareness, which as we stated in Section one is vitally important for maintaining control.

3. Use cleanse to take take a stun or CC type move for your team without resulting in yourself being Ganked. (Works well with heroes who have shields and escape maneuvers..

4. Tactfully blocking a minion wave deep in the enemies lane as a Jungler or other high-escape hero so that your team can keep up a push on the enemy's tower creating stress on the enemy team.

5. Smite can feasibly work as an instant pathing opener for enemies who are using their minions to escape, or for getting off that spear through a line of minions.

6. intentionally swapping your entire damage set to defense in order to bait the enemy team into think you're squishy, but then they blow all their CDs on you expecting you to die, not realizing until it's too late that they were duped, losing the team fight.

Just remember you are not without the ability to help another person. This includes letting other Champions on your team get the kill as opposed to you taking it.

To take a related concept from sports "Get Open" find a way to make a situation better for an ally if you can don't just watch them die, you mere presence can deter the enemies from chasing if they think your entire team is coming, they don't know Shen, Soraka, and Karthus are at base.

Always Offer Cover Fire this means attacking to deter an opponent from chasing your injured teammate.

There are techniques you can use that not any one hero has that are as valuable as any hero skill if done properly, explore how your abilities can be used in other ways. Distraction techniques are by far the easiest to do yet I hardly ever see anyone make use of them.

5. Actual Combat (Lane, Gank, Teamfight, and 1 v 1)

5. Once you can master your Environment then actual skill with your hero comes into play.

This one is most spoken on, but I still see players cry OP and UP without even recognizing the counters available to them, or that certain champion combinations can be stronger than any Flavor of the month heroes slammed together on a team if played correctly. If anything I hope you keep in mind team diversity when selecting a champion.

Just because your Cass can get a penta against 1 team comp, doesn't mean she'll stand a chance against another.

Remember there are no SUPER MEGA OP OH MY GOD RAGEEEEEE heroes. They pop up, but that's why balance is a constant process. Any number of variables can make 1 hero become kryptonite to other characters, or set-up gameplay in such a way that new strategies can be viably abused to create an unintended set of advantages that make you win. These changes are made to keep the "sport" of the game fair. A caveat of non-dynamic Hero systems. The heroes don't by design change their skill sets, which would be ideal considering each new challenger would force previous heroes to improve their tactics to account for what new tactics they're using, so to make sure heroes don't become to weak or too strong changes are made to make them become functional within the system.

Dodge was removed because it was too volatile a variable to consider when analyzing Champion viability

Champions are designed to be Equitable to each other. Champion design considers how well do they contribute to a teams success more than it does about how much damage or how much something heals for.

Name any hero and I will counter it for you if you are having trouble message me in game!

If you notice that you're playing your hero well "killing, assisting, etc", but are still a low ELO reassess how you're playing the game in general. Not just how you're doing with your character. What are you doing to help other players?

I can spend the next year on this section, but it will end here. There are others who are already dedicated to explaining this to you.

I will be releasing a champion pairing list in the future to help people make decisions about team composition. Please look out for it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

phatcat09

Senior Member

12-03-2012

This is the conclusion

So with the above in mind. I make a plee.

Please no longer make the false assumption that ELO is a matter of simply having skill with a champion. You may be able to demonstrate flawless technical skill with your hero and be able to stay positive, but if you're missing the fundamentals of the other Core Skill Areas you're going to be outplayed and you'll be beaten without even being able to discern why because the opponents skill in these areas is greater than yours.

Yes there is a degree of luck in this game, but luck can be completely marginalized to a point where a degree of certainty can give you advantages over players who are unaware of the strategies.

If you are confused about how this couldn't "possibly" be affecting you.

Then do the following:

Make a Smurf and face roll through 30. Do you really think the peak of skill stops with you? No if you're low in ELO and failing behind instead of slowly progressing forward; it's because you don't have the proper fundamentals. You progressed with a higher degree of luck than your actual skill could carry you forward for.

Imagine what a player above you must feel like. It's about the same as how you feel destroying leveling players.

Also remember:

Low ELO doesn't necessarily mean you're bad at Champion Skill it means you haven't fully recognized how to achieve optimal knowledge that will help you beat the other players in Champion Skill (1 v 1, 2v2, 2v3,5v5) and propel you ahead enough so as to "Snowball" outside of a truly possible comeback.

Some of you are terrible at Champion Skill though so don't kid yourselves so consider practicing there more too, but for the really frustrated out there who just aren't able to get to their next level; double check my advice and see if you can improve on any of these areas. I guarantee if you heed my advice on Core Skill Areas1-4 you'll notice an improvement.

I went from being 30-90 in season to to 11X-12X something by the end of the season and was well on my way to climbing up in ELO.

It worked for me it can work to help you!

"But what about the game ruiners like leavers n stuff!"

Aye, those are there, but the majority of games statistically speaking aren't like this, and you know it, so as long as you play the right way statistically, even if it takes longer, you WILL go up in ELO consistently. There's no denying it.

And if you're going "NO" still then why are you even playing? These are the realities of the game learn to play the game don't try to force the game to become what you want.

ELO is NOT and assessment of Skill at playing a particular Champion or Class type. You may perform well with your champion in terms of being able to to pull off proper tactical maneuvers, but what is working against you is your lack of Skill with regards to other skill areas that have a compounding affect on your ability to play successfully through the game. (Falling behind/allowing the enemy to snowball)

In response to how this proof is a contextual example for why ELO is a measure of probability of success based on past performance I present the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDjinni View Post
Good performance is necessary but not sufficient for an increase in elo. Ergo it is an indirect measure of probability of victory.

What you say would be true necessarily in a game environment like Chess, which elo was originally designed for. Chess is not dependent on pseudo-random variables such as matchmaking, and does not involve a considerable amount of risk-taking over unknown information.

To elaborate, proper chess play does not require an educated guess as to what your opponent is going to do; the entire board is in front of you and all you need to deduce is what your opponent can do based on the information given in front of you, and the proper response to it. If your opponent is doing something radically different than what you figured they would do, it shouldn't matter, because you shouldn't be making decisions on what you think they might do, but rather what they can do. You should move to block or counter the most threatening of options because you know what their most threatening moves are, unless you assume that they are a much more novice player than you are and can safely assume they can't see it.

On the other hand, League of Legends involves a lot of educated guesses and risk-taking based on missing information. Had you perfect information on what your opponent is capable of doing or trying to do, you would probably make different decisions. Given that you don't have perfect information, you can only make educated guesses (which is one of the key messages contained in the OP) since you probably don't really know your opponents play-style that well. Guess-making, even educated ones, necessarily involves some amount of luck. Like a professional poker player, you hate luck, but have to deal with it anyways. Even if you make a good play given the information in front of you but lose to a lucky hand every time you make that kind of play, you should not play differently when the odds are in your favor.

Luck should average out, but it is not a constant like gravity; this by necessity converts the relationship between good performance and a rise in elo to an indirect relationship that is dependent on other factors.
ELO can also be described as an Assessment at being consistently successful with heroes because You've mitigated uncertainty that enables the odds of failure to be lowered to such a point you can manage to be more skillful with your champion than others are overall because of your advantage of knowledge -- they support each other they're not exclusive.

Lastly: If you're losing out in team fights learn to better understand how to set-up the situation for your FAVOR don't just start 5 v 5 after 5 v 5 and expect the same results (Insanity). Determine the correct out, communicate your damage mitigation plans. Become efficient at the Core Skills[/B], prepare to counter their strategies!

Don't be discouraged. Recognize the inconsistencies you're making and determine why your matches are resulting as a Loss even though you have an understanding of what to do.

Namaste

Addendum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenXylaphone View Post
so 1 v 1 shows true skill?
1 v 1 with heroes who are equitably balanced to the situation yes.

i.e 6 Death cap Evelynn vs Nasus isn't a fair fight since she can kill Nasus before he even hits her

But if Nasus can see her he can Exhaust heal and take her out in the half step between her % aoe nukes.|

CREATE THE CORRECT SITUATION FOR YOURSELF, there is balance in the seemingly unbalanced!

Additional Pylons:

It's about risk reduction really. If you can avoid the pitfalls of bad decision making then you will succeed if you play your hero correctly. Unfortunately even though people are playing there heroes "correctly" they're falling victim to being outplayed.

We're not disagreeing I'm explaining a concept in a more user friendly way than what you and others have that makes the concept less irksome to individuals who are finding trouble understanding where they're falling behind, but also explaining why.

It isn't enough to say "You need more team work" "You need to do this" yes there are specific actions in the game to take, but if an individual doesn't understand the factors working against them then how can we expect them to understand the things we tell them are good actions, or for them to understand that ELO isn't a measure of their worth or innate-ability to play a champion well enough, but rather a measurement of how well you play in general (Base on the Core Skill Areas), and] how to get there, and why it's important not just what to do.

This is what I have attempted to do.

"Teach a man to fish..."
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all..."
"Don't tell Show..."
"Don't just memorize understand..."


Post-Vitae

After playing on my alternate account I can say without a shadow of a doubt anyone skeptical of the statements made need only observe low level players behaviors.

Talking and teaching with low level players is actually much more enjoyable than playing with most of the players who think they know everything even when they're clearly demonstrating the wrong techniques. Low level players have a tendency to listen. The chided among you plug your ears and go "lalalala".

While everyone is focused on Pro-players there's no one who cares for the low-level players in any adequate since of the word. Saying you care and actually demonstrating a minutia of laudable care are very different things.

We teach Meta-meta-meta mechanics (How to point and click), We teach Meta mechanics (Current dominant strategies), but we don't teach the (meta-meta mechanics that help build the fundamental skills for understanding why certain actions work (I.E the 5 Core Skill Areas)

We say what and how instead of why and when.

I was in a game where a Teemo who albeit was farmed properly could not understand why we were losing when he would constantly initiate fights and he would be the first to die after being exhausted. Thus cutting half our dps (I was supporting as Janna). It literally did not dawn on him that the rest of the team wasn't ready for the types of (spank and tank) type team fights he was trying to start. He didn't strategize. Telling him to strategize wont help, you have to explain to him what the fundamentals are THEN explain a strategy. If he understands the Core skill areas then he will be able to accept the strategy having proper criteria for weighing it's validity in his head as opposed to the non-criteria he has now.


One More Thing:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinsworth View Post
ELO is a direct measure of probability of victory based on past performance. I also don't see how the term "skill" is any different from of the actions you just listed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDjinni View Post
Good performance is necessary but not sufficient for an increase in elo. Ergo it is an indirect measure of probability of victory.

What you say would be true necessarily in a game environment like Chess, which elo was originally designed for. Chess is not dependent on pseudo-random variables such as matchmaking, and does not involve a considerable amount of risk-taking over unknown information.

To elaborate, proper chess play does not require an educated guess as to what your opponent is going to do; the entire board is in front of you and all you need to deduce is what your opponent can do based on the information given in front of you, and the proper response to it. If your opponent is doing something radically different than what you figured they would do, it shouldn't matter, because you shouldn't be making decisions on what you think they might do, but rather what they can do. You should move to block or counter the most threatening of options because you know what their most threatening moves are, unless you assume that they are a much more novice player than you are and can safely assume they can't see it.

On the other hand, League of Legends involves a lot of educated guesses and risk-taking based on missing information. Had you perfect information on what your opponent is capable of doing or trying to do, you would probably make different decisions. Given that you don't have perfect information, you can only make educated guesses (which is one of the key messages contained in the OP) since you probably don't really know your opponents play-style that well. Guess-making, even educated ones, necessarily involves some amount of luck. Like a professional poker player, you hate luck, but have to deal with it anyways. Even if you make a good play given the information in front of you but lose to a lucky hand every time you make that kind of play, you should not play differently when the odds are in your favor.

Luck should average out, but it is not a constant like gravity; this by necessity converts the relationship between good performance and a rise in elo to an indirect relationship that is dependent on other factors.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

phatcat09

Senior Member

12-03-2012

You have no right to complain about bad player performance if you're doing nothing to help! End of a game? Link them here.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...php?p=32048125


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Felaedor

Senior Member

12-03-2012

Elo.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Subdue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-03-2012

Mechanical skill with a champion isn't the only thing necessary for winning in a team game.

Shocker...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mansa TChalla

Senior Member

12-03-2012

Elo is an indication of your chance of winning a game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StopTryingKid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-03-2012

tl;dr


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DomainSpecific

Senior Member

12-03-2012

"Upvoted/Downvoted because you what you wrote is longer than my attention span"

- GD

In all seriousness, those are good tips, but as people said above, Elo measures your chance to win, not your skill


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

phatcat09

Senior Member

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomainSpecific View Post
"Upvoted/Downvoted because you what you wrote is longer than my attention span"

- GD

In all seriousness, those are good tips, but as people said above, Elo measures your chance to win, not your skill
Please Check the very last section labeled "One More Thing" for an explanation of why I chose to present it this way.


1234511 ... 13