Hi, I'm Griftrix, Let me explain my job title

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bynaar

12-02-2012

Hello Griftrix. I am an aspiring comp sci major who has an interest in both robotics and game design (programming side, for the most part, I would love to do art, but I suck at drawing hehe). I am currently a freshman and I am learning Java at the moment.

1. When should I learn C++? I'm not sure when my classes are going to get into C++, certainly not next semester and I know C++ is used widely by game developers. Should I self-teach myself C++ as soon as possible?

2. How much experimenting should I do with code to progress my skills? As much as possible? I'm currently seeing how far I can get into making a small mini game using my limited knowledge and so far it's going alright.

3. What exactly do I want to submit as a resume to game developers such as Riot Games? I guess it depends on the area I apply to, but say I'm submitting to the position you currently have, what should I submit?

RiotSchmick

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Software Engineer

Follow RiotSchmick on Twitter

12-02-2012
94 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianmc View Post
Are Rioters allowed to play games at work?
I'll refer you to this thread. : P

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2842737

IMTOOJUICY

12-02-2012

Wait, Griftrix, so you're a designer?

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

12-02-2012
95 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynaar View Post
Hello Griftrix. I am an aspiring comp sci major who has an interest in both robotics and game design (programming side, for the most part, I would love to do art, but I suck at drawing hehe). I am currently a freshman and I am learning Java at the moment.

1. When should I learn C++? I'm not sure when my classes are going to get into C++, certainly not next semester and I know C++ is used widely by game developers. Should I self-teach myself C++ as soon as possible?

2. How much experimenting should I do with code to progress my skills? As much as possible? I'm currently seeing how far I can get into making a small mini game using my limited knowledge and so far it's going alright.

3. What exactly do I want to submit as a resume to game developers such as Riot Games? I guess it depends on the area I apply to, but say I'm submitting to the position you currently have, what should I submit?
1) Yes, start C++ as soon as you can

2) If you spend all your free time programming, you will probably get really good, and it will pay off later in life. That's awesome that you're working on your own projects. When you have the game working, you should try rewriting it. I bet the code will be much better the second time around, since you have a better idea of the end requirements.

3) Work experience, skills, and personal projects. Keep deleting the least impressive stuff from your resume and replace it with better stuff. Your college faculty will be a big help with resume formatting.

Bynaar

12-02-2012

Thanks a lot!

BlackTalonMC

12-03-2012

Griftrix,

I am currently in my last year of high school and I'm taking a class on Java (the only programming course available in my school which is actually a really good high school). My problem? I find myself getting too frustrated because I can't easily come up with an efficient way to code the programs we are assigned. I look at my peers and see that they use a single loop (we pretty much started from the beginning and are now starting work on methods) to get a program done and I look at mine and see that I have three or more loops to get the same thing accomplished.

I guess my question is: is there any advice you could give me to not get so discouraged so that I can keep my dream of going to college for Computer Science and/or Computer Engineering alive?

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

12-03-2012
96 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalonMC View Post
Griftrix,

I am currently in my last year of high school and I'm taking a class on Java (the only programming course available in my school which is actually a really good high school). My problem? I find myself getting too frustrated because I can't easily come up with an efficient way to code the programs we are assigned. I look at my peers and see that they use a single loop (we pretty much started from the beginning and are now starting work on methods) to get a program done and I look at mine and see that I have three or more loops to get the same thing accomplished.

I guess my question is: is there any advice you could give me to not get so discouraged so that I can keep my dream of going to college for Computer Science and/or Computer Engineering alive?
Think about the data you are operating on, and try to find ways to operate on as much of it as you can at once. To tighten up code takes practice and experience. When operating on a bunch of data think, you have to at least look at each element once to operate on it, that means you will need at least 1 loop. Then convince yourself that there is a way to do it with only one. I am still improving my code and making it more efficient and maintainable. Just stick with it and you should improve.

Freykin

12-03-2012

Hang in there BlackTalon, it can be frustrating at times, but it's definitely worth the payoff. Working my first programming job at the moment, and I'm learning so much and it's the most fun I have ever had with a job, to the point of where I'll find myself clocking in extra time randomly at night (working remotely FTW!) as the solution to something pops into my head.

BlackTalonMC

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Think about the data you are operating on, and try to find ways to operate on as much of it as you can at once. To tighten up code takes practice and experience. When operating on a bunch of data think, you have to at least look at each element once to operate on it, that means you will need at least 1 loop. Then convince yourself that there is a way to do it with only one. I am still improving my code and making it more efficient and maintainable. Just stick with it and you should improve.
Okay. Another problem I have is that a lot of times when I actually do get it to be efficient it ends up looking like one of my peers code (purely by chance, I would never cheat on this as I'm interested in learning not just getting by). I've already been warned about copying others code and was told that if it happens again (although it never happened in the first place -.-) that I could be kicked out of the class :/ it's just extremely frustrating :/