ARE YOU OF THE FEMALE SPECIES

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. 438 20.03%
I'm a manly man. 1,749 79.97%
Voters: 2187. You may not vote on this poll

How many of you are girls?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hotfemaleplayer

12-02-2012

im not a girl im a Hotfemaleplayer

Statscowski

12-02-2012

Not to burst any bubbles or anything, but they say statistics are made up of lies.

If I may ask, how were the data collected about the gender % of players?

ZettaFlower

12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
This is correct! The specific % varies a bit from region to region. I haven't checked recently to see if the forum over/under represents, so it's entirely possible that the forum poster population is higher or lower than that.
You should check!

Pantazi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by And it was K View Post
I'm a girl. However, we're on the internet. Real life doesn't matter. On here, everyone is an obese, socially awkward, basement-dwelling, unemployed, 12 year old white guy, who is scrawny and dropped out of college to play video games. Regardless of what they are in real life. This is equality.

On a more serious note, I don't care if people assume I'm a dude in games. They have no way of knowing, and I see no reason to correct them for the half hour we're going to be spending together.

This right here. I actually get mad when my friends announce that I am a girl. To be honest, I dont want them to know because I know there is a high chance of being flamed. I also dont want to seem like an attention seeker...or get creepy attention

davin

Senior User Researcher

12-02-2012
2 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saikaici View Post
How many of the users on the forums are actually girls though?

Because assuming the sample space is the players of league(where approx 10% are female), we also have to look at the cases where the player goes on the forums, right?

So this poll gauges P[User == Female |User is on the forums]. Also, trolls that aren't honest. -.-

It's kind of interesting if the gender of players visiting the forums are ~20%(Accounting for trolls selecting female). Of course this makes multiple assumptions...
Correct. Forum polls in general tend to be rather inaccurate gauges, since self-selection happens pretty hard. It's entirely possible that forum posting skews to representing more female than the general playerbase does! I am going to check my data when I get in to work tomorrow Interest piqued!

Saikaici

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statscowski View Post
If I may ask, how were the data collected about the gender % of players?
Sampling of the player databases, and probably analysis watching trends with known genders of players.

Not to be sexist, but the females that I do know that play often tend to play female champs. When I see the match history of a female player, it seems like they have an ~80% or greater percentage of female champs they play.

Edit: Removed for redundancy, late night inattention kicking in.

Morphine

12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
Correct. Forum polls in general tend to be rather inaccurate gauges, since self-selection happens pretty hard. It's entirely possible that forum posting skews to representing more female than the general playerbase does! I am going to check my data when I get in to work tomorrow Interest piqued!
Seems somewhat likely that females would participate in the poll (in a way to say "hey, I exist!") and would be more drawn in to responding on seeing the DevTracker post about girls than dudes would. You also get people trolling the poll. Seems really unlikely that the poll stats would be accurate. Would be cool to see newer data on gender stats (and other demographics) - maybe by region? Might be a pain, I dunno.

Quote:
Sampling of the player databases, and probably analysis watching trends with known genders of players.

Not to be sexist, but the females that I do know that play often tend to play female champs. When I see the match history of a female player, it seems like they have an ~80% or greater percentage of female champs they play.

In general, girls play female champs more often than most. If you take that and look at the people who mostly play female champs... well. You get a good idea. Also, other trends I'm sure help give a good estimate.
I can't even deny this, I only play 3 male champs.

Statscowski

12-02-2012

Quote:

In general, girls play female champs more often than most. If you take that and look at the people who mostly play female champs... well. You get a good idea. Also, other trends I'm sure help give a good estimate.
That is true. I myself use mostly male champions (Ezreal and Twisted Fate being my 2 most used), but my best happens to be a female champion.

Vampy1337

12-02-2012

Quote:

This is really interesting. Not trying to contradict anything by saying that I'm a female and play almost zero female champions. I suppose I am not only in the minority for being a female but also for this reason as well. One of a kind

And for the record, I can last hit like a boss and I rarely support.

Senario

12-02-2012

Quote:

Edit: Removed for redundancy, late night inattention kicking in.
Do they also play with skins? You know, women love skins. (oh more references, how I love thee).

Jokes obviously. I mean, I'm a guy and I play with a skin if I get to play a favorite champ of mine. (Pink taric, Bloodlord Vlad, Shogun Shen, maybe Astronautilus soon).