Hi, I'm Griftrix, Let me explain my job title

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sayath

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
I'm sorry to say I don't have any info about your 1) 2) and 3). It's just not the areas I touch at all.

4) That's cool! No, I don't use those coupling things. I have 2 mice and keyboards.
Well, then I need to find somebody who does.
Do you know by chance what WhattayaBrian does? Or do you know anybody who works on Platform / Hadoop? Else I think I'm gonna ask Lyte. He should at least know where his data comes from.

@4: Eyefinity / the nvidia alternative couples the monitors themselves together. That way you can have a 5760x1080 screen (three 1920x1080 screens).
A picture of it for you: Here
It does not couple the pcs themselves.
(Or maybe I just misread and you did understand afterall. - Sorry if that's the case!)

theDreamer

11-30-2012

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. I have never heard a bad math joke. You get a +1.
A), The dude you're responding to: it's sad I had to write that out. I actually forgot basic calculus :< I bring shame to my faculty.

B) Oh god Griftrix, if you've never heard a bad math joke, don't come to UWaterloo. And certainly don't check out MathSoc, where we sell terrible shirts (My personal favourite is the one with "|ABS|" printed in large typeface just above the bottom hem...or where they should be). Or read mathNEWS where we write terrible, terrible puns.

Solari Brigadier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortferngatr View Post
Hi Griftrix!

If what RiotDamiya says is true, then as a high school student coder I must ask you:

Was your function f(x)'s general antiderivative F(x)=(not^2)/2+(a^2)/2-d*cos(r)+C, where "not," "a," and "r" are variables and "d" and "C" are constants?

Please don't take this like the range (over the real numbers) of y=-(x^2)-1. I really like Riot and want to work there someday!

Ok, silly Creative Writing major here...

wut.

Trazier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

Can you do anything about a third soraka skin? I'm only asking you because everyone who's job it is to actually do that stuff stopped caring over 2 years ago...

Jarzelia

11-30-2012

Hey Grift,

Have you seen the League of Extraordinary Dancers (LXD)? It's a series of shorts and pretty interesting. The series starts up kinda slowly, but their moves are crazy. You seem to be interested in movement and stuff and it seems right up your alley.

Bromoflexual

12-01-2012

Quote:
Ok cool. Do you have any reference pics so I can get a better idea of your vision?
I have no reference pictures to an incubus in action, nor do I have the qualifications to adequately illustrate these actions either. I can however attempt to explain simply what I imagine. Goat horns with translucent bat wings and ashy skin with a long skinny pointed tail.
Other than those features I would think them much like a human male with a semi-muscular build. The attacks against high health targets would be more a flick of the wrist (playful) where as the attacks against injured enemies would have a far more aggressive full body lunge. I'm curious as to which of these animations would be possible with current tech and which you would need inspiration to develop. (Variable animations based on distance and health)

Artania

12-01-2012

Thanks for this thread Griftrix, it was quite interesting learning about your job, and you helped put into words something about myself that is quite similar to how you think.

"I solve much of my math visually. If I can picture it, I can solve it. For me, animations is the immersion in games. I love games like Soul Calibur and Prince of Persia that had nice flowing animations. I like 3rd person games more than first person because I can see what my avatar's body is doing, which makes me feel more real (in real life, I know where my feet are without looking, in a game, I do not)."

I took out that thing about visualizing easily because I actually have some issues visualizing things. at least in great detail anyways, unless it's in 2D. I can now explain to people(and understand myself completely as well) as to why I generally don't like first person games, thank you.

P.S. Your skin idea with Leona and dragons is awesome. I love dragons too.

Overlord Hades

12-01-2012

hi again, i doubt you remember me but you gave me advise on how to play nocturne yesterday. i just wanted to thank you for it again because im having fun and doing pretty well with him now and the advise helped a lot so thanks. ( Your now my favorite riot employee <3 )

RiotSchmick

Software Engineer

Follow RiotSchmick on Twitter

12-02-2012
90 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venaccio View Post
Griftrix, even though your job is really technical and stuff, do you still play League a lot? I'm under the impression that the technical peoples are not really that into the game, I'm hoping I'm wrong though.
Oh that's definitely not true. I and all the technical folks that sit around me *love* the game and play regularly. I have over 3000 games played.

Thomyas

12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSchmick View Post
Oh that's definitely not true. I and all the technical folks that sit around me *love* the game and play regularly. I have over 3000 games played.
I carry Griftrix all the time =]