A Theory on the Shadow Isles and it's Champions

First Riot Post
123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Overlord Forte

Senior Member

11-29-2012

Evelynn's theory is interesting, but conversely its entirely possible she's a forward agent for the ruling power of the Isles?

An assassin mustering influence would be very useful in getting ties with the ruling elite of different societies. Favors could be called in to strengthen the Isles, and or weaken prospective targets before an invasion.


As a whole I'm not terribly favored with the whole 'rule the world' plot the Shadow Isles could possibly be involved with. A global war would weaken the world, even if the Shadow Isles won and all were undead, enough the Void could pierce the veil and win soundly. Perhaps the Isles is getting ready for the Void's incursion? They have plenty of forward scouts on the Runeterra plane now.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrHarz

Senior Member

11-29-2012

Where does the Ruined King fit into your theory?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HerbaNoctis

Senior Member

12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord Forte View Post
Evelynn's theory is interesting, but conversely its entirely possible she's a forward agent for the ruling power of the Isles?

An assassin mustering influence would be very useful in getting ties with the ruling elite of different societies. Favors could be called in to strengthen the Isles, and or weaken prospective targets before an invasion.


As a whole I'm not terribly favored with the whole 'rule the world' plot the Shadow Isles could possibly be involved with. A global war would weaken the world, even if the Shadow Isles won and all were undead, enough the Void could pierce the veil and win soundly. Perhaps the Isles is getting ready for the Void's incursion? They have plenty of forward scouts on the Runeterra plane now.
Or, if you would just put on your tinfoil hat for a second, you would see the truth.
That truth being that those working towards the rise of the Void and those working towards the rise of the Shadow Isles are working for the same, mysterious power.
Really, do you think it's a coincidence that both Icathia and the King disappeared during the Rune Wars? The creatures of the Void are the King's experiments, as are the undead of the Shadow Isles. When the two experiments are reconciled, there will be an army of undead monsters that are designed to be perfect in every way. Strong, fast, smart, stealthy, and adaptable.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

port5

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-02-2012

Karthus is death. Mordekaiser is Pestilence. Hecarim is War. We have yet to see Famine. Yorick is Conquest or the harbinger of the four of them.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask Tyrant Swain

Member

12-05-2012

Listen to the way the spirits talk to Yorick. The wife is ironic to him (''Alas, poor Yorick'') while the husband pushes him around. It's pretty clear that he is just the gravedigger to them, and was probably a punching bag in life. The only reason that he is worthy enough to be a SI champion is probably because he can create ghouls, which might be some rare necromantic gift on the SI, but it doesn't make him any less of a pushover.

Morde was probably the general of the Ruined King (confirmed by a red on reddit that the Ruined King is the ruler of SI) while they were conquering the Isles. As his gift he received part of the Ruined King's power (enslaving souls) and was bound to the armor to eternally serve his king. Yet, for the suffering that the Ruined King has put on him he plans to overthrow him. But he is still the right hand of the Ruined King, and is thus some kind of lord himself, which is how the husband spirit regards him.

The wife and husband spirit were probably the mages that led the resistance against the Ruined King's necromancy policy. He killed them and as punishment he enslaved them on the altars, close enough to sense each other's presence, yet too far to talk or see each other. When he enslaved their souls they became his eternal slaves, forced to be loyal, even if they don't want to. My theory is that the wife fought the Ruined King's power much harder than her husband that embraced it eventually, and even though she is loyal most of the time she tries to fight it. This is where her two interactions with Hecarim come into play. Her loyal side wants to warn Hecarim of Morde's plans, while her free side is trying to free him of the Ruined King's grasp by making him remember his past life.

Hecarim was a centaur, the greatest of all centaurs. And when their race was conquered by the Ruined King in his campaign he became his second general, next to Morde. His fellow horsemen that decided to join the Ruined King were gifted with becoming undead, while those that resisted had their souls sucked out and enslaved to Hecarim to serve as his personal army, which he can summon at any time he wishes to.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Creepy4

Senior Member

12-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by port5 View Post
Karthus is death. Mordekaiser is Pestilence. Hecarim is War. We have yet to see Famine. Yorick is Conquest or the harbinger of the four of them.
Interesting... Wasn't a champion based on drought hinted at being in progress? If so, that would be your famine right there.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morec0

Senior Member

12-10-2012

Holy Hecarim! A RED? This got a RED?? Awesome!

Okay, back to lore:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Kassad View Post
I want Evelynn to get her new bio so bad! Where is the LORE? T_T

And what about Maokai? His story doesn't make sense anymore. I'm guessing that he is now going to be older, in that he was one of the trees on the Shadow Isles from before it became the Shadow Isles? But his in-game VO implies that he has became conscious relatively recently... which is an aspect about him that I like. I'm kind of upset that his lore will have to be changed, because it is excellent now. I dont want him to be a casualty of the Twisted Treeline rework, but I can't imagine that his lore isn't going to become convoluted.
Yes, Maokai's lore IS somewhat problematic - and that, along with the fact that he is not tied to the Altars of the new Twisted Treeline (as in: he does not give off the special Shadow Isles quotes but instead the generic ones), is why I decided to exclude him.

IF I had to try and tie him to the undeath of the Shadow Isles, however, I'd look at his Haunted Maokai skin and claim that he is sort of construct powered by multiple souls (the dominant Maokai soul, the sapling soul(s), and a soul that inhabits his larger arm (hence the laughing from it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord Forte View Post
Evelynn's theory is interesting, but conversely its entirely possible she's a forward agent for the ruling power of the Isles?

An assassin mustering influence would be very useful in getting ties with the ruling elite of different societies. Favors could be called in to strengthen the Isles, and or weaken prospective targets before an invasion.


As a whole I'm not terribly favored with the whole 'rule the world' plot the Shadow Isles could possibly be involved with. A global war would weaken the world, even if the Shadow Isles won and all were undead, enough the Void could pierce the veil and win soundly. Perhaps the Isles is getting ready for the Void's incursion? They have plenty of forward scouts on the Runeterra plane now.
I actually had a theory on this recently:

During on the Journals of Justice Karthus was found dead near a battle between Kassadin and Malzahar outside of the Institute and Fields. After his ressurection (simple, due to that he was already dead) his only response to being asked why he was there was "protecting the inhibitor."

Now, what do the Inhibitors do? In fact, what is the basic definition of them? The root word inhibit means to "hold something in check", so, naturally, that is what inhibitors do. Now, WHICH of those two champions - Malzahar and Kassadin - could be considered inhibitors?

I'll give you a hint: Kassadin. Kassadin is an inhibitor against the void, holding it incheck and making sure it does not spill into Runeterra. This seems to imply that Karthus had been aiding Kassadin in the fight. But why?

Now, the lore for Karthus has changed since then, but with it comes a possibility: he was doing it to make sure that the Void doesn't get in (duh) SO that the SHADOW ISLES would be the force to overtake Runeterra!

Because the two have VERY different goals: The Void wants to devour the planet while the Shadow Isles, from the looks of their abilities and lore, merely want to enslave the planet in undeath. So what we're looking at is an unofficial alliance between the Shadow Isles and Kassadin's deffenders to ensure that the Void Does not reach the world (Kassadin's goal) so that they wont be a threat to the Shadow Isles (Karthus/Hec/Morde/ect. goal)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbaNoctis View Post
Or, if you would just put on your tinfoil hat for a second, you would see the truth.
That truth being that those working towards the rise of the Void and those working towards the rise of the Shadow Isles are working for the same, mysterious power.
Really, do you think it's a coincidence that both Icathia and the King disappeared during the Rune Wars? The creatures of the Void are the King's experiments, as are the undead of the Shadow Isles. When the two experiments are reconciled, there will be an army of undead monsters that are designed to be perfect in every way. Strong, fast, smart, stealthy, and adaptable.
I once had a similar idea, but I ended up scrapping it in favor of the above theory (the Shadow Isles aiding the morals against the Void for the benefit of the Isles). Too much tinfoil not enough concrete for me in the "Void-Isles Alliance" theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarz View Post
Where does the Ruined King fit into your theory?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Tyrant Swain View Post
Listen to the way the spirits talk to Yorick. The wife is ironic to him (''Alas, poor Yorick'') while the husband pushes him around. It's pretty clear that he is just the gravedigger to them, and was probably a punching bag in life. The only reason that he is worthy enough to be a SI champion is probably because he can create ghouls, which might be some rare necromantic gift on the SI, but it doesn't make him any less of a pushover.

Morde was probably the general of the Ruined King (confirmed by a red on reddit that the Ruined King is the ruler of SI) while they were conquering the Isles. As his gift he received part of the Ruined King's power (enslaving souls) and was bound to the armor to eternally serve his king. Yet, for the suffering that the Ruined King has put on him he plans to overthrow him. But he is still the right hand of the Ruined King, and is thus some kind of lord himself, which is how the husband spirit regards him.

The wife and husband spirit were probably the mages that led the resistance against the Ruined King's necromancy policy. He killed them and as punishment he enslaved them on the altars, close enough to sense each other's presence, yet too far to talk or see each other. When he enslaved their souls they became his eternal slaves, forced to be loyal, even if they don't want to. My theory is that the wife fought the Ruined King's power much harder than her husband that embraced it eventually, and even though she is loyal most of the time she tries to fight it. This is where her two interactions with Hecarim come into play. Her loyal side wants to warn Hecarim of Morde's plans, while her free side is trying to free him of the Ruined King's grasp by making him remember his past life.

Hecarim was a centaur, the greatest of all centaurs. And when their race was conquered by the Ruined King in his campaign he became his second general, next to Morde. His fellow horsemen that decided to join the Ruined King were gifted with becoming undead, while those that resisted had their souls sucked out and enslaved to Hecarim to serve as his personal army, which he can summon at any time he wishes to.
This is ACTUALLY the first I've heard of this "Ruined King," so my theory doesn't hold anything with him in it - UNLESS one wants to take in the possibility that the Lord Altar IS the Ruined King (Keyword here being "Ruined" as in some manner of failure), and the Ruined portion refers to his kingdom being ruined by Mordekaiser's uprising.

The rest follows the OP.

Not to say, though, that your theory isn't very intelligent as well. In fact, in some ways it's better - incorporating items into the story in a way that I had overlooked.

My only complaint would have to be the centaur: your theory holds that they were apparently there the entire time. It may simply be due to lack of background information given by Riot, but there has been narry a mention of centaurs before his appearence; this leads ME to believe he is from another continent or island outside of Valoran (as I said in the OP).

Good to see so many people are taking interest in this, though. I'm looking forward to any other ideas you all may have.

I'll see you on the Fields of Justice!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Baron Bodacious

Senior Member

12-12-2012

I really like a lot of this and it's very well thought out. But I never really saw Hecarim as working for Mordekaiser. It just never seemed in his character to actually serve someone (or even partner up).

I always thought he was more of a rival to Morde, trying to beat him at his own game and become the dominant force in Runeterra rather than actually share the power. I always got this vibe the way he literally walks up to the Institute and demands entry into the League. He just seems so showy.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HerbaNoctis

Senior Member

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morec0 View Post
Holy Hecarim! A RED? This got a RED?? Awesome!

Okay, back to lore:



Yes, Maokai's lore IS somewhat problematic - and that, along with the fact that he is not tied to the Altars of the new Twisted Treeline (as in: he does not give off the special Shadow Isles quotes but instead the generic ones), is why I decided to exclude him.

IF I had to try and tie him to the undeath of the Shadow Isles, however, I'd look at his Haunted Maokai skin and claim that he is sort of construct powered by multiple souls (the dominant Maokai soul, the sapling soul(s), and a soul that inhabits his larger arm (hence the laughing from it).



I actually had a theory on this recently:

During on the Journals of Justice Karthus was found dead near a battle between Kassadin and Malzahar outside of the Institute and Fields. After his ressurection (simple, due to that he was already dead) his only response to being asked why he was there was "protecting the inhibitor."

Now, what do the Inhibitors do? In fact, what is the basic definition of them? The root word inhibit means to "hold something in check", so, naturally, that is what inhibitors do. Now, WHICH of those two champions - Malzahar and Kassadin - could be considered inhibitors?

I'll give you a hint: Kassadin. Kassadin is an inhibitor against the void, holding it incheck and making sure it does not spill into Runeterra. This seems to imply that Karthus had been aiding Kassadin in the fight. But why?

Now, the lore for Karthus has changed since then, but with it comes a possibility: he was doing it to make sure that the Void doesn't get in (duh) SO that the SHADOW ISLES would be the force to overtake Runeterra!

Because the two have VERY different goals: The Void wants to devour the planet while the Shadow Isles, from the looks of their abilities and lore, merely want to enslave the planet in undeath. So what we're looking at is an unofficial alliance between the Shadow Isles and Kassadin's deffenders to ensure that the Void Does not reach the world (Kassadin's goal) so that they wont be a threat to the Shadow Isles (Karthus/Hec/Morde/ect. goal)!



I once had a similar idea, but I ended up scrapping it in favor of the above theory (the Shadow Isles aiding the morals against the Void for the benefit of the Isles). Too much tinfoil not enough concrete for me in the "Void-Isles Alliance" theory.




This is ACTUALLY the first I've heard of this "Ruined King," so my theory doesn't hold anything with him in it - UNLESS one wants to take in the possibility that the Lord Altar IS the Ruined King (Keyword here being "Ruined" as in some manner of failure), and the Ruined portion refers to his kingdom being ruined by Mordekaiser's uprising.

The rest follows the OP.

Not to say, though, that your theory isn't very intelligent as well. In fact, in some ways it's better - incorporating items into the story in a way that I had overlooked.

My only complaint would have to be the centaur: your theory holds that they were apparently there the entire time. It may simply be due to lack of background information given by Riot, but there has been narry a mention of centaurs before his appearence; this leads ME to believe he is from another continent or island outside of Valoran (as I said in the OP).

Good to see so many people are taking interest in this, though. I'm looking forward to any other ideas you all may have.

I'll see you on the Fields of Justice!
The Void+Shadow Isles theory actually works in concert with your basic premise (SI holding Void back) if you make it so the forces of the Shadow Isles don't want the time to come yet and can't really control what doesn't come through specifically without saying nothing comes through, but they can summon specific things if they make it all open for travel.

The Ruined King is more or less established here by Kitae. And the alter lord/lady seem to be pretty separated so her saying "For the King!" doesn't make a ton of sense if the lord is the King.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morec0

Senior Member

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbaNoctis View Post
The Void+Shadow Isles theory actually works in concert with your basic premise (SI holding Void back) if you make it so the forces of the Shadow Isles don't want the time to come yet and can't really control what doesn't come through specifically without saying nothing comes through, but they can summon specific things if they make it all open for travel.

The Ruined King is more or less established here by Kitae. And the alter lord/lady seem to be pretty separated so her saying "For the King!" doesn't make a ton of sense if the lord is the King.
huh... Well, looks like I'll need to pay a little more attention next time I try something like this...

Okay, I'll be editing this into my OP later on, but for now here's what I'm thinking:

The Ruined King (his title after the events that I'm about to describe) takes Mordekaiser's place as the primary antagonist, and Evelynn becomes his daughter (as do the expirament/or whatever that make her what she became). The RK - sometime before/around/after the Runewars - starts off expiramenting with undeath, seeing its effects on the corpses of the dead and then, eventually, on the already-living.

The Lord and Lady - still powerful magi - wage civil war against the Ruined King and his top General(s): Lord Mordekaiser Van Damm (or Van Damm Mordekaiser, I like the former better) and (potentially) Hecarim (brought to the Isles in the same way, only earlier and by the RK).

The war between necromancy and arcane magic quickly has the same effects as the Rune Wars did on all of Valoran, but with a twist; while the arcane magic would simply tear the Isles apart as it soaked into the world, it mixes with the necromantic magic before it does so, resulting in the Curse of the Shadow Isles (aka; their current state). Eventually, the RK and Morde, his right-hand-man and his apprentice/best student (hence his own necromantic power) overtake the forces of the Lord and Lady and entrap their souls in the altar.

It is now that Mordekaiser stabs the RK in the back (metaphorically, since Morde seems to favor maces) in order to take control of the Isles for himself. However, the RK manages to curse Morde and locks him in his suit of armor. The alliance between the two is formed - starting off with only Morde going to the Institute, but eventually Hecarim gets tired of the slow pace with his the Master of Metal is proceeding and going there himself (hence his appearence and demanding of admittance). It's a tedious alliance between the two, and Morde still fully intends to stab Hec in the back, but when world domination and global genocide is involved any smart leader would set their pride aside for an alliance.

Everyone else backstory remains the same, except for Eve's lineage.

---

As for the Void and SI idea you put out there: I'm still not to keen or sure on it. I'm just not seeing any connection between the two; they have no interactions in-game, nor do their powers seems to mesh in any manner that would align them with your theory (by which I mean: I don't see the SI having the power of summoning and dismissal over them).


123