@Lyte Job Questions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ms LadyDelicious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-30-2012

Hey Lyte,

I have a few questions about what you do at Riot. I know you are the "Lead Designer of Social Systems" which in turn do you manage the Tribunal, bans, and honor system? But how did you come to work for Riot and per say what is your average day like? If you don't mind me asking. If you have shared this before forgive me for asking it again, I tried searching for such topic.

And what did your schooling entail in college? As in degree focus. I myself am immensely interested and studying Social Psychology along with interpersonal social interactions focus.

Btw I just want to let you know that I have defiantly found that the honor system actually is helping the league community in game. I'm quite sure you guys are aware of that but I just wanted to let you know, my games have been much more enjoyable. And I would like to thank you all for that and the players :P

One last question, do you ever play league on your own spare time just for fun? if so who is your favorite champion? Mine is Lux, I love her bubbly personality.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post,
Ms LadyDelicious


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Duke Br0heimer

Senior Member

11-30-2012

The real question is: what does Professor Doktor CEO National Interactions Executive International Accountability Director Global Creative Orchestrator Senior Tactics Technician Lyte not do?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ms LadyDelicious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Br0heimer View Post
The real question is: what does Professor Doktor CEO National Interactions Executive International Accountability Director Global Creative Orchestrator Senior Tactics Technician Lyte not do?
^ Touché


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

11-30-2012
1 of 9 Riot Posts

At Riot, we've been wondering if there is an interest for some of our scientists and researchers to do a career AMA. We're always interested in scientists for potential internships or jobs and this really is a dream job for any scientist who is interested in big sets of data and the potential to do experiments in a 'living' game.

Although my college background was in Cognitive Psychology, my PhD was in Cognitive Neuroscience and I specialized in cognition and perception. At a high-level we investigated questions like: how is vision represented in the brain and consequently, how does visual perception influence human behaviors? One of the most fascinating things about vision and cognition is that we actually process a lot of visual information that can directly influence our behaviors and actions without us even realizing it. statuskwoh, RiotSeb and myself lead the player behavior team at Riot and we do manage systems like the Tribunal, Honor and LeaverBuster. I hope it's been obvious that we aren't done with player behavior yet and are brainstorming new experiments to do after Honor.

I play League quite a bit. Majority of my games are Ranked and I locked in just over 500 Ranked games in Season 2. My favorite champions vary from season to season but I have been playing Kayle a lot lately.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pleasant

Senior Member

11-30-2012

Good guy Lyte


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AlexDnD2

Senior Member

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
? One of the most fascinating things about vision and cognition is that we actually process a lot of information that can directly influence our behaviors and actions without us even realizing it.
Marketing majors learn the same thing without all the boring blah blah science.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Claw of Time

Member

11-30-2012

@Lyte


where is the book?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

theDreamer

Senior Member

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Although my college background was in Cognitive Psychology, my PhD was in Cognitive Neuroscience and I specialized in cognition and perception. At a high-level we investigated questions like: how is vision represented in the brain and consequently, how does visual perception influence human behaviors? One of the most fascinating things about vision and cognition is that we actually process a lot of visual information that can directly influence our behaviors and actions without us even realizing it. .
That is so freaking cool.

I love psychology. Why am I in computer science again?

..Oh yeah...I hate papers.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spiritside

Senior Member

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
At Riot, we've been wondering if there is an interest for some of our scientists and researchers to do a career AMA. We're always interested in scientists for potential internships or jobs and this really is a dream job for any scientist who is interested in big sets of data and the potential to do experiments in a 'living' game.

Although my college background was in Cognitive Psychology, my PhD was in Cognitive Neuroscience and I specialized in cognition and perception. At a high-level we investigated questions like: how is vision represented in the brain and consequently, how does visual perception influence human behaviors? One of the most fascinating things about vision and cognition is that we actually process a lot of visual information that can directly influence our behaviors and actions without us even realizing it. statuskwoh, RiotSeb and myself lead the player behavior team at Riot and we do manage systems like the Tribunal, Honor and LeaverBuster. I hope it's been obvious that we aren't done with player behavior yet and are brainstorming new experiments to do after Honor.

I play League quite a bit. Majority of my games are Ranked and I locked in just over 500 Ranked games in Season 2. My favorite champions vary from season to season but I have been playing Kayle a lot lately.
I wish I could do the exact same thing as you, Lyte. Same interest in the field =p. I'm just a Biology major at my university, although I later realized I'm more interested in the intersection of biology and psychology than either of them alone =/.

Maybe one day I can be a part of the Riot team!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ms LadyDelicious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
At Riot, we've been wondering if there is an interest for some of our scientists and researchers to do a career AMA. We're always interested in scientists for potential internships or jobs and this really is a dream job for any scientist who is interested in big sets of data and the potential to do experiments in a 'living' game.
I really appreciate that you took time out of your schedule to reply back to my forum post. I am very much interested in Psych. Statistics but more so with 'random' social interactions through the usage of online video games and of course with such a large community Riot is a great place to study that. I lean more so in a sense to study interpersonal relationships and why players choose such a game to play and continue to play. How friendships affect the ability to play a game and so forth. Personally I am very much interested in the Honor System that was just installed and how well this actually will improve matchmaking and social interactions. Your statistics have shown changes, but how much/how long will it climb?

In the near future, when I am farther along in my studies, if I was to be looking for an internship at Riot how would I go about doing so? If you don't mind me asking.

Quote:
I hope it's been obvious that we aren't done with player behavior yet and are brainstorming new experiments to do after Honor.
To answer this statement most defiantly. You have mentioned numerous times in your posts that there is much to come

Btw good luck in your ranked games, hopefully maybe I can do a game with you! If not that's totally fine as well. ^.^ Thanks again.