Hi, I'm Griftrix, Let me explain my job title

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

11-29-2012
4 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas Ice View Post
Ima just treat this as an AMA thread even if it isnt
Why'd you pick that name?
Grifter was filtered by Everquest name filter as being an -er word (verb). I had made a noam mage and thought Griftrix sounded magey. When the Sullon Zek pvp server started I made an ogre shadowknight there and killed literally thousands of people. Then I found out the name is never taken, so it worked for me.

Footlights

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ancell View Post
But are you as cool as Phreak?

Griftrix

11-29-2012
5 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToAoX View Post
Thank you Griftrix. You have the power to facilitate meaningful discussion too just because your name is red. Sadly at the same time people tend to misunderstand that your opinions are yours and not that of the company unless stated! Thanks again!
Don't worry, I have forum armor. I can take the missplaced rage.

Dig Dux

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squippit View Post
..So... you design stuff....

FOR the animators to use in animating? =D
I think he creates the technology and interface tools that allow the actual designers to create the animations since you cannot just take an animation and put it in the game engine.
Could I ask what software you use so I could get a better idea of exactly what you do?
Kind of interested

Griftrix

11-29-2012
6 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ancell View Post
But are you as cool as Phreak?
Is this a real question? Of course I'm not.

Seeker0fTruth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-29-2012

But Griftrix, if you're not a designer, can you give your opinions on giving your opinions on design? This seems disingenuous and makes it seem like it's riot's official stance that giving your opinions on giving your opinions is that it's okay, when obviously, sometimes it's not.

Welcome to the forums! Don't get frustrated by us forum goers. I, for one, love the fact that a) rioters love the game and b) they want to share that love. Lots of times we get a new rioter posting a ton on the forums . . . and then they get discouraged by the deliberate obtuseness and stop doing it. (@Vesh: where are you?)

Keep on keeping on. If you want to play normals with my girlfriend and myself some friday night, let me know if I can add you to my friends list.

Griftrix

11-29-2012
7 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Dux View Post
I think he creates the technology and interface tools that allow the actual designers to create the animations since you cannot just take an animation and put it in the game engine.
Could I ask what software you use so I could get a better idea of exactly what you do?
Kind of interested
The animators use Maya. I use visual studio. You are totally correct in what I do, but MOST of the animation tech we have was already in place before I started.

Damiya

Technical Analyst

11-29-2012
8 of 96 Riot Posts

Griftrix once designed a function.

Griftrix

11-29-2012
9 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker0fTruth View Post
But Griftrix, if you're not a designer, can you give your opinions on giving your opinions on design? This seems disingenuous and makes it seem like it's riot's official stance that giving your opinions on giving your opinions is that it's okay, when obviously, sometimes it's not.

Welcome to the forums! Don't get frustrated by us forum goers. I, for one, love the fact that a) rioters love the game and b) they want to share that love. Lots of times we get a new rioter posting a ton on the forums . . . and then they get discouraged by the deliberate obtuseness and stop doing it. (@Vesh: where are you?)

Keep on keeping on. If you want to play normals with my girlfriend and myself some friday night, let me know if I can add you to my friends list.
Thanks for the warning! I don't get frustrated by forum posts unless they're inappropriate. Tone never comes through in text, but be assured I'm always in a smiling good mood and appreciate healthy discussion.

Claw of Time

11-29-2012

I use to design apples.