Teemo - surviving early game

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

An00bus2

11-27-2012

noob teemo

Samizul

Champion Designer

11-27-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I just took up Teemo a few week ago after some coaching from Gypsylord, but this has worked for me so far:

I try to take teemo top lane against bruisers that don't have a gapcloser and are susceptible to slows. So I wouldn't play him against Olaf, Jayce, or Wu-Kong, but he's a great counter to someone like Darius, Malphite, or Singed. I tend to build straight for Nashor's Tooth, getting the AP items first to make my last hitting easier. Then I'll usually go for Rabadon's, relying on cleverly placed shrooms and my speed boost to counter my squishiness.

I always max my E for harass and last hitting, but after that I look at my matchup to see if I should max W or Q. If they're an auto attack based champ like Jax, I'll max my Q first, but if it's someone who relies on spells like Garen or Riven I'll max W so I can safely escape when they try to engage.

I wouldn't recommend taking him bot (except maybe as an interesting support option) due to the issues you mentioned like his range and squishiness.

Killrazor

11-27-2012

teemo can also do well mid.

Lemonlce

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samizul View Post
I just took up Teemo a few week ago after some coaching from Gypsylord, but this has worked for me so far:

I try to take teemo top lane against bruisers that don't have a gapcloser and are susceptible to slows. So I wouldn't play him against Olaf, Jayce, or Wu-Kong, but he's a great counter to someone like Darius, Malphite, or Singed. I tend to build straight for Nashor's Tooth, getting the AP items first to make my last hitting easier. Then I'll usually go for Rabadon's, relying on cleverly placed shrooms and my speed boost to counter my squishiness.

I always max my E for harass and last hitting, but after that I look at my matchup to see if I should max W or Q. If they're an auto attack based champ like Jax, I'll max my Q first, but if it's someone who relies on spells like Garen or Riven I'll max W so I can safely escape when they try to engage.

I wouldn't recommend taking him bot (except maybe as an interesting support option) due to the issues you mentioned like his range and squishiness.
tht's one route. another is bruiser on hit teemo with whom i have more of a winrate with. you rush a phage and wits end, get defensive booots as necessary (i like mercs regardless just cuz it rounds out the defense you have later on) then finish off your frozen mallet, and try for a madred's bloodrazor (this should finish off your armor) and then a malady and then trade out your defense boots for sorc boots for extra damage and fill the last item slot with either a GA or a FoN depending on the enemy team (however since bloodrazor is leaving us replace that with it's replacement, and instead of FoN get a warmogs). masteries are 9/21/0 with focus on the mafic damage mastery, and hp regen mastery (your runes will be fun:hpregen quints, attack speed marks, and flat resist seals and glyphs)...i got a pentakill with this build in a 1500 elo ranked game :P

GenericallyNamed

11-27-2012

Regularly harass with auto attacks here and there. Don't harass or poke with Q. Only use Q when your lane opponent tries to fight you. If you just Q them from range they will then use their gap closer once the blind is over and you'll lose. But if you save your blind for any time after they engage then they can't auto attack you or effectively run away. People with gap closers and stuns like Irelia and Jax are a bit harder. They can jump on you then stun you and walk away, where people without CC have to commit when they engage. Still do the same thing but they have more chances to harass you. If the opponent isn't auto attack heavy, like Malph or Rumble or Vlad then you can Q to harass if you want.

Once you hit 6 shroom and ward up all ganking paths (River and tri) and push your opponent to his tower. Make sure to also leave some shrooms in the lane, generally on the corners of the river walls or the bushes, so you can run away if your opponent tries to hard engage on you for a kill. At this point blind them, W, and kite/run away. Ideally you want a shroom field and to keep harassing your opponent under his tower.

GG Crono

11-27-2012

When I top-lane Teemo, I like to rush an early Philosopher's Stone. The HP regen helps him stay in lane, and the mana regen helps him harass. By mid-game, when it doesn't matter anymore, sell it. By that time, it should have paid for itself.

Noblepeasant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt Tim View Post
How do you handle early levels in regards to build, harass, and sustain? I'm great in the late team fights with a mid-full build, but for the first 6-10 levels I'm incredibly squishy, and I have trouble harassing without dying. I end up bot a lot, and the range of other carries, especially Ashe, shuts me down.

I usually start with boots/potions, and I'm trying to build Phage early for the extra HP/chance of slow. Rushing to build Frozen Mallet seems to really slow down my damage, however, versus going straight for Malady and Nashor's Tooth in, say, this guide: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...of-doom-209977

How do you deal with the first levels?
Take MS Quints, put a few points in W. You should only be picking him against melee-champs, and the extra move speed will help you poke safely.

Ginga

11-27-2012

He's great against melee champions without gap closers. It's hilarious how well his poison counters Garen's Passive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samizul View Post

I hope you realize that Darius' pull range is higher than Teemo's AA. The best you can do is bait it.

But anyone whose played Darius can tell you, it's a lot easier to pull Teemo in than it is for Teemo to bait it. Waiting for Teemo's AA-animation to show you he's attacking you gives you a nigh 100% chance of pulling him in. The attack animation prevents Teemo from running away.

And Blinding Darius doesn't do a thing. He'll still apply bleed stacks, and his crippling strike will still cripple Teemo.

If you want to deal with Darius using a ranged champion, Kayle or some other ranged champion with similar AA-range is better.

Super Buu

11-27-2012

I agree with Nowitsfair, Teemo is a top laner. Although he does get pounded by the likes of Xin Zhao and other bursty top laners, he does put up a better fight than if he was placed at bot or mid.

Armageddal

11-27-2012

I like to play Teemo as an AP on-hit fighter. I find this build can work anywhere except the jungle, but bottom lane is a bit of an issue due to a lack of sustain, and Teemo's low range.

*denotes core item

-*Sorcerer's Shoes (not required, I just prefer them)
-*Malady
-*Rod of Ages (You could also go for Rylai's, but it lacks mana, costs more, and the slow is only really useful on his Q)
-*Deathcap
-Wit's End
-Madred's Bloodrazors
-(Nashor's Tooth)

This is my typical build, although it can vary for the last two items, depending on the game. He's a bit lacking in health with this build, but between your god-like kiting, blinding dart, and burst potential, you can fight most enemies very effectively.

Melee Bruisers are very easy to kite; AD Carry can be bursted with a Q + a couple auto-attacks while they're blinded; AP Carry can be an issue if you're fighting them one on one, since they may be able to burst you down, so avoid fighting them outside of team fights.

I'd expecting he will have some amazing builds in season 3, with the introduction of the upgraded Haunting Guise and the 5% max health burn item.