Help thread for players, answer by 1800s.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chopinator

11-27-2012

-Is playing Mundo as a tank a bad play when your team does not have one? (People wait till the last second to select and dont talk about who\where they are going)
--I played a tanky Mundo last night in a blind PVP. I went 4-12-21 and died in most of our all out team fights but we also won most of our engagements.
---Am I playing badly by being fodder while allowing my teammates to get the kills? I havent tanked very much so I am unsure if they usually die in teamfights.

-How can I improve my CS in early game? I usually have 40-60 CS in first 10 mins(mid or bot), but that seems low compare to what most people have.
--Should I make more use of ~ to zone opponent out? Then try for CS?
---If I am holding ~ then I release it will my champ AA the closed creep? If so then I think this might solve my problem, my timing on AA is horrible.

-When running mid is it bad to try a gank (top or bot) at levels 3-4-5 when you force your opponent to recall?

-I really struggle with CS (and in general) melee's who dont have an AoE or some sort of ranged ability in the early game, are there any tips for these types of characters?

-Top seems to be my worst spot right now (I havent really even attempted jungle yet) are there any general tips for it?

-I mostly play bots (beg and inter) and blind pick, Should I start running normal draft to get a better crop of players who have a little more concept of the game? There is nothing more frustrating then running a blind pick game with a group of people who auto pick, dont talk or just dont pick till there is 5 seconds left so you have no idea what you are going to need.

-Is Trinity Force good to get as your first item (after boots) on Nasus?

-When I run Morgana I dont usually get E until 7, is that bad? I usually go Q,W,W,W,Q,R
--I also start her out with Rod of Ages but I dont see that item in any of solomid or mobafire guides, should I not get that item on her?

-Are Doran items a must to start? I NEVER get them to start as they dont scale, I usually start with boots and potion, then I head back when I have enough for my next scaling item (or I am getting my butt kicked and I need health).

- This is my current pool of champions, with this list will I be able to compete effectively in ranked?
Alistar, Amumu, Annie, Ashe, Cho, Mundo, Evelynn, Fiddle, Garen, Janna, Jax, Kayle, Malphite, Yi, Morgana, NAsus, Nunu, Rammus, Ryze, Shen, Sivir, Soraka, Taric, Teemo, Tristana, Tryndamere, TF, Veigar, WW, Zilean.
--Is there anyone who I MUST add?

I am sure there are other things but they are eluding me, Thanks in advance for the help.

til Days of Blue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-27-2012

1. Depend on the team comp, tank mundo is legit, but often you cannot go full tank or the enemy will just ignore you.

2. There is something wrong if you die 14 times as mundo

3. Make good use of your skill, if your autoattack is on cooldown, use skills to pick them up. Don't spam skills randomly if not needed

4. If you are using attack move, it will attack the nearest creep, but that is stupid and is not a good laning method

5. Depend on your champion and whether you have a gap closer or not (Example: Diana before 6 is really bad at ganking)

6. Practice in a custom game, use AD mark and AD quints, get AD and butcher mastery

7. You seem to be having problem with the general gameplay, not just top. Just keep playing

8. No, start playing normal blind then move onto draft, Bots suck and playing draft will just make your teammates rage.

9. No, Trinity rush on Nasus often make him too squishy, standard build should be tanky + cdr, aka FH

10. Bad. if you get ganked spell shield is your best friend, aside from flash, but flash's cooldown is 4 minutes.

11. Why RoA? You won't stay alive with RoA, Zhonya is a core, and abyssal is strong as well.

12. No, Doran is not a must have to start, however, some (very few) champions can use doran item depend on the lane matchup.

13. Rather than talking about champions, I think you should expand your rune page and gameplay, as for now I can clearly see you fall into the 800 elo bracket.

Chopinator

11-27-2012

Any chance you can add me and we can run a game or 2?

turrdfergason

11-27-2012

Hey Ken I really appreciate this thread. I have been reading for a while and it is great to see people like you doing what they can to help the community, and having a good attitude about it.

I am about to hit 30. I have a few champs in each lane that I play well but I probably wont start ranked for a while. I would like to increase my champ knowledge in order to be able to counter effectivley. While my skill level has gone up dramatically I still need help in a few areas.

- If I am jungle I find my cs drops dramatically after I start to gank. I really need gp10s to be viable late game. How long do you continue to farm your jungle while still ganking?

- Same farming problem with top and bot lanes, difference is I tend to lose cs once team fights start. I have had team fights start as early as 6 or 7 minutes. When I have a very item dependent champ I will beg my team to not start team fights until 15 minutes so I can get a decent build. Do you see this in 1500+ games? or will team fights generally start towards the 20 minute mark?

-Lastly when I am playing the tank, When is the best time to initiate? I seem to have trouble knowing when my team is ready. Either im too early or we get poked and backed to our turret and someone ends up recalling. I try to type and tell my team I will initiate after I ping, but that doesnt work well right before a fight?

til Days of Blue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopinator View Post
Any chance you can add me and we can run a game or 2?
My fd list is full and I am really busy with the recent ranked team stuff.

til Days of Blue

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrdfergason View Post
Hey Ken I really appreciate this thread. I have been reading for a while and it is great to see people like you doing what they can to help the community, and having a good attitude about it.

I am about to hit 30. I have a few champs in each lane that I play well but I probably wont start ranked for a while. I would like to increase my champ knowledge in order to be able to counter effectivley. While my skill level has gone up dramatically I still need help in a few areas.

- If I am jungle I find my cs drops dramatically after I start to gank. I really need gp10s to be viable late game. How long do you continue to farm your jungle while still ganking?

- Same farming problem with top and bot lanes, difference is I tend to lose cs once team fights start. I have had team fights start as early as 6 or 7 minutes. When I have a very item dependent champ I will beg my team to not start team fights until 15 minutes so I can get a decent build. Do you see this in 1500+ games? or will team fights generally start towards the 20 minute mark?

-Lastly when I am playing the tank, When is the best time to initiate? I seem to have trouble knowing when my team is ready. Either im too early or we get poked and backed to our turret and someone ends up recalling. I try to type and tell my team I will initiate after I ping, but that doesnt work well right before a fight?
1. Ask for laners and take their cs when they are away. There are some situations that you can always take cs

a. Minions getting into turret range, you should take it or the turret going to take them
b. Minions almost reaching enemy turret but not there yet, you should push it so the enemy lose minions to the turret
c. When the laners died, then you should last hit and pick up the cs that would have been lost
Usually I farm the fast camps (wolves and wraith) and gank without taking golems

2. Team fight can start whenever one team has a strong team fight than the other team. Begging for farm time will rarely work unless you are playing hyper carry such as Vayne or Kog. Majority of the time you will be forced to join the team fight, or your team will lose in team fight and fall further behind.
Note: 6-7 minutes is enough for a 4v4 fight to start, by level 3 Vayne already got decent damage, and even Kog can do really good damage in a fight as well. Don't go too passive.

3. This part hugely depend on the champions on both team. Some teams are really good at starting a fight, while some teams are really good at counter engaging. This is more of an experience problem that I must know the team comp of both team to give you a specific advice.

Malfotores

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExecutionerKen View Post
Jump > Q > W > E > back off

Make good use of your W passive heal, and be sure that you reset autoattack timer with Q.
Rengar is strong at poking the enemy, and burst the enemy down with his 5 stack (double proc Q)

In team fight you should be aimming for the enemy carries. In most cases you will be able to burst them down, and if the enemy isn't careful with peeling for the carry, you will eve get out alive, and most likely win the team fight because the enemy lack carries.

the combo of Rengar varies, but usually you will want to use your ult to catch people and gain vision, follow up by autoattack (jump), and then double proc Q or use the snare so the team can catch up, finally kill him in one full rotation of spells.
Thanks for the answer!
One other question, if I'm playing as an Olaf, what skill should I max first? What skill should I take first? What runes does he need?
I really like the playstyle of Olaf but because I seem to not be able to do good with him, I tend not to play using him that much. Does his damage only come from his E? Or his Q?

General Sassycat

11-28-2012

Recently I've had my experience with jungle (specifically Skarner) take a flip as i gained a small amount of elo. One day i was going 5/0 by the 10 minute mark, getting myself up to around the 1400s. Take a break and come back the next day and suddenly I'm finding it hard to scrape up even 1 or 2 kills or assists before 20 minutes.

Is it because I have reached a point where I am not good enough to carry?

If not, are there any general signs to look for to know when is a good time to gank/ counterjungle/ farm my own jungle? I usually counter jungle or do my own jungle when i decide i can't gank, and i gank when a lane is pushed out enough for me to lock down my kills before they reach the tower. Maybe there is more to it than that?

til Days of Blue

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfotores View Post
Thanks for the answer!
One other question, if I'm playing as an Olaf, what skill should I max first? What skill should I take first? What runes does he need?
I really like the playstyle of Olaf but because I seem to not be able to do good with him, I tend not to play using him that much. Does his damage only come from his E? Or his Q?
There is two route of skills that is commonly agreed by Olaf players. Maxing Q or maxing E

Personally I prefer CDR build with maxing Q. That way I push my cooldown on my Q to 0.8 seconds if I can constantly pick it back up, then maxing E second.

His damage comes from both Q and E, so what you want to do is to build decent amount of health and cdr from shurelya and zeke, then GA for resistance.

til Days of Blue

11-28-2012

You probably got to the elo where your skill level is not making as much changes to the game as you did in the 1300s. Usually true elo is between + or - 200, so it will not be rare for you to be stuck around this elo for a while.

One thing I had noticed in 1400s is that people often not reacting fast to counter jungling. This means that you can probably put even more time onto counter jungling, such as stealing the enemy big wraith and more, to annoy both the laner and jungler, because they will rage at each other

Skarner ganks are actually really strong, and against certain team comp it might be fine for you to take one or two turret shots to gank the enemy. Personally I will gank around level 3 or 4 once, then try to hit 6 ASAP, and assist the teammates in between when it is needed.