You cant be serious about this ban

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZeroKuno

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch Equals LAG View Post
I'm just trying to analyze what ppl said using a scientific approach instead of simply posting "jerk, u deserve the ban becuz of u got 900 reports in the last 100 gamse u played"
Analyze? I hope you are joking right? April 1st is so far off btw.

I Like Tanks

11-26-2012

This incident made me recall the time that Pendragon banned someone in the pregame lobby because he locked in jungle Gangplank.

Not relevant or anything, just food for thought.

Cuddlybearmewmew

11-26-2012

im sorry...the point of a TAUNT isnt to make somone upset? wow this is news to me.

General Quackers

11-26-2012

Sorry Wookiecookie, big fan here, but you're wrong.

I agree this guy was being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk, but in the context of the actual offense committed, a time ban was overkill. A simple warning should have been the first step, and then a time ban if this guy really is abusing the client to annoy him teammates in a way they cannot stop him.

However, I think a better solution, overall, to prevent what is a silly case being in the Tribunal, Riot should look to tweaking their game client. If players could disable hearing emotes, then emote spamming can't be considered unavoidable harassment.

tempnameA461

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Duck View Post
I agree this guy was being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk
I like how everyone keeps jumping to this conclusion.

PerkyDotair

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch Equals LAG View Post
again, back to the point
are u getting mad easily when someone is spamming emote?
go to see a doctor, u need
*Do you get mad easily when somebody spams emotes
*You need to go see a doctor.

And no, you're wrong. For the vast majority of people, insults and taunting is aggravating and something that is not easy to ignore. That's the reason why insults and swearing are considered socially unacceptable.

MathMage

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson62 View Post
Dyrus knows his enemies don't mind emote spamming before a game starts? i'm pretty sure no one knows who they're matched against
Actually, Dyrus in particular will generally have a pretty good idea who he's playing against--maybe not in a given match, but at least on a given day--because the top of the solo queue ladder is occupied by a small community that all know each other to some extent. But that's neither here nor there. The point is that Dyrus doesn't use emotes in a way that gets him reported or punished. If you reduce both cases to 'spamming emotes', then you miss out on all the context that explains why Dyrus isn't punished while the OP is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson62 View Post
yes they did, by agreeing with this ban
Riot established the general principle: don't be a jerk. Judges decided that principle applied to this specific case. Nowhere is there an intermediate principle saying all emote spam is jerkish.

Noobgrenade

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
Player Behavior & Justice.

Riot didn't decide spamming emotes in particular was bannable; the judges from the community decided this particular case of emote spam was bannable. A technical clampdown on emote spam would be a waste of resources, and would remove non-abusive cases.

Dyrus isn't playing with people who get annoyed that he spams emotes. He hasn't been asked to stop, and would stop if asked (probably). Same goes for Phreak. How is that the same context?

EDIT: Wait, never mind; given your most recent reply, I shouldn't even bother trying to have a serious discussion with you.
Good post, however trolls are immune to logic and will continue to attempt mental cartwheels to avoid the realization that they are not allowed to be jerks.
Fairly entertaining thread so far tho.
Also, lol @ the folks that respond with "X player should turn down their volume/mute because of someone being annoying." As with chat spam, if one has to ignore you, you already deserve the report.

tempnameA461

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkyDotair View Post
And no, you're wrong. For the vast majority of people, insults and taunting is aggravating and something that is not easy to ignore. That's the reason why insults and swearing are considered socially unacceptable.
Really?
I thought it was because we're weak.

MissButtahNips

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeCookie View Post
Don't be a jerk.

Players frequently write to my team full of excuses for their case, or fearful that they're going to get banned in the future.

They often want to debate the Summoner's Code down point by point.

Is it okay to do this? What about that? What if someone else does X, and I do Y to them in retaliation? Can I get banned for Z?

And our response can always be summed up with one simple phrase:

Don't be a jerk

Sometimes player's ask why isn't the Summoner's Code more specific? Why doesn't it specify each and every action I can or can't do? But they don't notice that we wrote the Code that way on purpose.

We don't want to run a game dictated by strict specific rules. Because every game is unique, and played by different standards.

How much fun would a rule be that says you can never say the F word in your matches?

How much fun would a rule be that says last pick must always be support?

How much fun would a rule say that you can never be Rammus support because he's not considered "optimal" by the community?

Every game should be judged by its own context. And that's why the core rule is always:

Don't be a jerk.

You can say the F word in a friendly context:

You can also say it in a very toxic context:

---The key difference? Don't be a jerk

Sometimes it makes sense for last pick to be something besides support:

Sometimes the situation can be very toxic:

Sometimes it makes sense to go with a real unusual support pick:

Sometimes an unusual pick can be really toxic:

I've seen this case emote spamming case before. And he fails the test. He was being a jerk.

You can see in his matches that other players ask him to stop. They even do so nicely at some points. But this player doesn't care. He doesn't care because he's being a jerk.

Is he using a feature of our game which has many legitimate purposes? Of course!

But is he abusing this legitimate feature to be a jerk? Yes. He is literally spamming the same phrase throughout the entire duration of the game.

Could other players fiddle with their sound settings to disable this? Sure.

Should we expect other players to adjust their player experience because a jerk is harassing them?

No. Never.

I even spent some extra time looking up this player's past harassment history. This is not an isolated 5 games this player has done this. He has repeatedly found ways to annoy and harass other players. That's the main reason he has a tribunal case in the first place.

Lyte has mentioned this in the past, but the Tribunal is really great at finding jerks in our game. But it's not always great at providing the full context of just how much of a jerk they are. But always keep in mind it takes many reports, in many games, by many people to even be considered for the Tribunal. The system may only pull 1 to 5 chat logs for a case, but make no doubt about it, the accused has been reported in many many more games than that.

The process is always being iterated on and improved though. And if the PB&J Team sees a need for the additional context to be shown, I'm confident in their abilities to make that happen.
THIS, my main account got perm banned cause I was a giant jerk. I'm not being a jerk anymore, and holy **** is it WAYYY more fun to just have fun, than get mad and be a jerk.