eCommerce Question of the Week

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Everspace

11-26-2012

Why do you still display runes that you have sets of in the store?

Can't they be removed when you have the play-set? It already prevents you from buying them.

TB Once

11-26-2012

Hey Hippalus! First off, you're great at your job, and as a devoted LoL gamer, I appreciate what you've done in such a short amount of time so far.

That said, what's the likelihood the 2k upvote stipulation on skin trades will be amended? There are several threads regarding this already, and where players have volunteered to trade the desired skins, but 2k votes is a huge longshot. What are the chances we can get some of these trades done or have an official form or system put in place to make these trades happen? =)

Indestry

11-26-2012

Hey Hippalus, I was wondering if this was on your end, but would it be possible to get those hoodies/irl appearal added to j!nx's catalog or open your own store for it? I'd honestly love to have the chance to get that Malzahar hoodie.

Thanks in advance.

Qsario

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Can't do it, because when we originally sold those skins, we promised the players that they wouldn't come back into the store. The limited quantities of those skins is one of the things that makes them special.

The good news is we are working on a trading system that will allow players to buy old limited edition skins from one another. I can't predict yet how many months it will be til that's ready, or how much RP it will take to buy them (depends on how many buyers and sellers are interested), but it is one of the things I definitely want to make happen for players.
What do you have in mind, some sort of auction system? Also, will all skins be available (e.g. season reward skins, legacy skins) or only limited edition skins?

Ohwhynot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
From page 22...

No. I'm fairly certain there is not a single company in the world that does that, because it doesn't make any sense. If a company charges $5 for a virtual item, or a computer game, or a book, or a hamburger, and then decides to lower the price to $4 at some point, they don't give $1 to everyone that ever purchased it. Because then they might as well have priced it at $4 all along and avoided the hassle of massive numbers of refunds.

Video games are probably the simplest example. We know when we buy them that they will be cheaper in the future, but we buy them because we want to play them now and we'll get to enjoy them longer than the people who wait until the price comes down. That doesn't mean we feel ripped off and the game company should refund us all when the price is inevitably lowered.

At Riot, we sometimes make an exception for people who buy something right before the price is lowered or it goes on sale. That is more than most companies do.
Guh.

Just fyi, when IP prices change(something only related to in game currency, not RL currency), I DO feel ripped off. It's because getting IP in this game takes FOREVER. And when a quarter of the champs I already own get reduced in IP cost by a substantial amount, it feels like sliding downhill. Because if I had just waited, and not gotten that champ, I could have used the difference to buy a whole set of marks/seals/glyphs/quints. I don't have tons of time to play, so it frustrating to know that some kid can play 3/4 the time I did, much faster/easier, and get to/past the point I'm at in getting champs/runes.

It wouldn't be a big deal, except that the new champs have MASSIVE potential at changing the game. Jayce/Rengar/Zyra/Diana were all top picks or bans shortly after release. That's pretty substantial to need to get ~25k IP worth of champs. It takes casual gamers 3-4 weeks just to get enough for just one of those. To think that while I'm struggling to keep up competitively, some player is spending only 1-2 weeks of IP to get what I got for 3-4 weeks worth(Say, for MF or Galio) really makes the attempt to keep up at all futile.

The main problem stems from the MASSIVE amount of time investment required.

And don't say that's what RP is for...I've ALREADY bought tons of RP, and use it for every 6300 champ that goes on sale. It's STILL a huge burden to keep up.

If there was a $300 option to permanently unlock champs that I could have gotten, I would have. That's right, I would have paid $300 for a full version of lol(still minus runes/skins), whereas I didn't buy HoN. I would also have considered a subscription for a temporary full unlock, like what they have in lan centers.

Keeping up with champs alone is just too much of a chore. It quit being fun after the incredible amount of kit overlap became apparent(singed/volibear, akali/diana, Sejuani/Amumu, etc). I mean, some champs are just straight up better versions of older champs, while others are worse.

Anyway, there needs to be help for the people that have been here for a long time and not just the newcomers. Retention is key, and the people who value time(ip) over money should be the targets, since they're most likely to spend more.

Really, just a small break would be nice. I don't care about RP prices, that's fine...but seeing how much IP i've 'lost' really feels like a punch in the stomach. It's literally months of my time evaporated.

Krimson62

11-26-2012

expected hip to keep his word and answer most upvoted post, but the dragon trainer lulu question goes ignored.

But, i guess the only thing we should expect from reds is disappointment. That way we can only be impressed

Solari Brigadier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohwhynot View Post
Guh.

Just fyi, when IP prices change(something only related to in game currency, not RL currency), I DO feel ripped off. It's because getting IP in this game takes FOREVER. And when a quarter of the champs I already own get reduced in IP cost by a substantial amount, it feels like sliding downhill. Because if I had just waited, and not gotten that champ, I could have used the difference to buy a whole set of marks/seals/glyphs/quints. I don't have tons of time to play, so it frustrating to know that some kid can play 3/4 the time I did, much faster/easier, and get to/past the point I'm at in getting champs/runes.
But this is the same thing that happens with most items in real life (well, non-perishables at least). I bought a 3DS at full price, a PS3 when it first came out, I have a $2000 computer that's 2 years old, and any number of other electronics and luxury items. Should I feel upset and ripped off that now, if I bought the exact same items I have I could have saved hundreds of dollars? No, because that's how the economy works. I don't feel upset that the specs of my computer today would cost almost $400 less than when I paid for it. I don't feel ripped off because the same size flat-screen TV I have is almost half the price I bought it at.

This is what happens all the time in the real world, and if you don't realize it or accept it, I don't know what to say. You can't blame anyone for the fact that you bought something before waiting for it to get a price reduction, either. It would be like me saying, "I bought a PS3 on release day, but if I had waited a year I could have bought a PS3, a game AND a controller for the same price!" Yes, obviously I could have, but that doesn't make it a legitimate complaint.

There's a reason that people got so upset over the infamous "iPhone price cut" back in 2007 (yes, the original iPhone), which went from being $599 to $399 in just 2 months. People were outraged, because it seemed like they were "tricked" into paying so much more for the item. There wasn't enough time between the phone's release and the price cut to warrant such a drastic change. But for the most part it takes a year or more for prices on electronics (and LoL champs) to get reduced. You're right that a new player is going to pay less and spend less time getting the same champs as you have now, but I want you to look around your video game collection and think about how much you spent on them, and how much it would cost for someone else to get the same collection - it's a lot less than what you paid, but does that really seem so unfair?

Quote:
It wouldn't be a big deal, except that the new champs have MASSIVE potential at changing the game. Jayce/Rengar/Zyra/Diana were all top picks or bans shortly after release. That's pretty substantial to need to get ~25k IP worth of champs. It takes casual gamers 3-4 weeks just to get enough for just one of those. To think that while I'm struggling to keep up competitively, some player is spending only 1-2 weeks of IP to get what I got for 3-4 weeks worth(Say, for MF or Galio) really makes the attempt to keep up at all futile.
Let's give a hypothetical here, and pretend that out of 100 champs, 50 of them have had their prices reduced by half. That means that 100 champs cost a total of 75 champs, or 75 months of casual play to get them all. Now let's say that you bought all of the price reduced champs at full price, or 100 months of casual play to get them all. Since you own those price-reduced champs, you have only 50 months of casual play left to collect them all. A brand new player would need to play an extra 25 months to catch up to you.

So if you keep playing at the same rate as the new player, he will never be able to catch up to you.

Quote:
The main problem stems from the MASSIVE amount of time investment required.
This is a terrible argument to make. If you're playing LoL in order to get champions, you're not playing the game. You're working. If you're buying champs just to buy them, then you're wasting IP. When you buy a champ, it should be because you really want to play that champion, and you should be using champions that you bought because you wanted to play them. You're being rewarded for having fun with the ability to unlock new content to have even more fun. It's not like working a boring office job 8 hours a day and then spending your earnings on a new game or toy every month, which is how you're making it sound.

Quote:
If there was a $300 option to permanently unlock champs that I could have gotten, I would have. That's right, I would have paid $300 for a full version of lol(still minus runes/skins), whereas I didn't buy HoN. I would also have considered a subscription for a temporary full unlock, like what they have in lan centers.
I think it would be awesome for Riot to implement a bundle option to get all champs from a given year (or really just more bundle options in general). Like a "2012 Champion Bundle" in which you could buy all 16 champions released this year (which would cost 15,600 RP or $105 individually) for $90.

In order to fully unlock every champion by buying them separately with RP (107 champs, 84,650 RP) would cost just short of $600 right now, by the way.

Quote:
Keeping up with champs alone is just too much of a chore. It quit being fun after the incredible amount of kit overlap became apparent(singed/volibear, akali/diana, Sejuani/Amumu, etc). I mean, some champs are just straight up better versions of older champs, while others are worse.
This is like saying "Keeping up with buying a new iPhone every year is too much of a chore, there's an incredible amount of overlap and some iPhones are just better versions of older iPhones, while others are worse." But just because they seem similar because they have a similar move or kit, doesn't mean they are at all. Take a look at Leona and Nautilus, who have a TON of overlap between their kits. AA modifier with stun (Naut passive, Leona Q), self shield/defensive buff (Naut W, Leona W), skillshot gap closer (Naut Q, Leona E), long range CC (Naut R, Leona R), around-champ AoE damage (Naut E, Leona W). But even with all those similarities, the two champions are extremely different. Leona is a powerful kill-lane support, while Nautilus is a jungler with deadly ganks.

And again, if League of Legends has turned into "work" or a "chore" for you, instead of a fun game you play that rewards you with new champions and unlockable content, then the problem isn't the champion prices - it's how you're perceiving the game.

Quote:
Anyway, there needs to be help for the people that have been here for a long time and not just the newcomers. Retention is key, and the people who value time(ip) over money should be the targets, since they're most likely to spend more.
I agree that there should be more rewards for players who have been around a long time, and Riot is already working on some kind of rewards (summoner icons) that we know of, and others we certainly don't.

Quote:
Really, just a small break would be nice. I don't care about RP prices, that's fine...but seeing how much IP i've 'lost' really feels like a punch in the stomach. It's literally months of my time evaporated.
If you consider the price reductions "lost" money, then how do you justify still buying champs today? If every champ will, in time, go on sale, why would you still buy a champ new when it's just going to have its price reduced in a year?

Hige

11-30-2012

Hippalus! I was wondering when will there be another champion price reduction? I was hoping brand to come down in price...

And it was K

11-30-2012

Will we ever get more refunds? As it is, I'm afraid to use mine. Although I guess that's intended.

SpecTactics

12-03-2012

Are 1350 rp skins like Dragon Trainer Lulu and Mecha Kha'zik eligible for sale?