Looking for some advice.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust NA View Post
I've played games with 1900 rated players and beaten them/been told I should be queued up with them, so it's disheartening to constantly play with the people I play with.
Look, the elo system tends to work if you put in huge amount of games in. If you can't reach to the elo that you think you deserve in 200-300 ranked games, chances are, you don't have the skill to get to there.

What a 1900 player tell you about your performance can be hugely affected due to their existence in the game. Which means that without them, your performance will probably not be as good.

Finally, to break the lower elo bracket, you need strong individual skill into carrying the entire team. If you are just playing passively and have no intention to make any big plays, you will most likely lose because other lanes will lose, or get carried simply because other lanes won.

Owl Be Back

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-24-2012

You sound like you defeat yourself before you even Q up.

No game is ever lost 30 seconds in, that's just ridiculous. It's in your attitude.

FedToTheForest

11-27-2012

It's just that when I play with these higher ranked players, everything runs smoothly because we all work together and play to win. We don't even HAVE to communicate because we're already on our way to the next objective or lane. We can rely on each other to make the right play at the right time, but where I am now...it's like pulling teeth just to see them buy a ward or land a skillshot, lol.

I do appreciate all the advice from everyone though.

iDpark

11-27-2012

When yo uget that many kills, try and feed them to your team.

acosn

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExecutionerKen View Post
Look, the elo system tends to work if you put in huge amount of games in. If you can't reach to the elo that you think you deserve in 200-300 ranked games, chances are, you don't have the skill to get to there.

What a 1900 player tell you about your performance can be hugely affected due to their existence in the game. Which means that without them, your performance will probably not be as good.

Finally, to break the lower elo bracket, you need strong individual skill into carrying the entire team. If you are just playing passively and have no intention to make any big plays, you will most likely lose because other lanes will lose, or get carried simply because other lanes won.
League is a team game- an extremely hard built team game. You can carry one or two "bad" players (or just characters not intended to be damage dealers- most support bots, what have you) but you can't carry a team. In about 1000 games played I've seen it done once or twice. Usually it involved an enemy team with a glaring problem like having no hard CC, doing something really stupid like doing baron when they have half health when there's an almost bought out Ezrael still alive.

This isn't DOTA.

And unfortunately you can have those big plays blow up in your face because your team's got their thumbs up their asses.

If you're good enough, advancing in ELO is actually a matter of statistics. Because you will eventually get a game where someone leaves, disconnects, lags, or simply helps the enemy team. And you can get them back to back to back. And because of how elo weighing works, those four games that were decided before the game started because someone left and never came back are as much as five times more valuable than that game where you basically carried half the team on your back.

I'm not saying the elo system doesn't work, I'm saying Riot's interpretation of it is just awful. With what competitors offer like vote kicks, shared control, and sharing inventory, I don't get why Riot's, "we can't think of anything to improve on the game's model than what Blizzard did with starcraft over a decade ago" style still works in their eyes. They have to have metrics on what happens to games where someone leaves.