Creative Design AMA - Syndra, the Dark Sovereign

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZodiarkSavior

Senior Member

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracorya View Post
Thank god, a reasonable voice in here. I'm really tired of these people who think they need to be spoon fed EVERY SINGLE LITTLE detail about a champion's lore just to figure out something. (That or just find any reason to rage against Riot).

I mean really? With what we know about Syndra's lore its not freaking hard to figure out why she would join the League.
From what I understand about the League of Legends, Syndra could of offered her services in exchange for power/influence within Ionia (Like Kayle) or to further her Arcane Knowledge.

And considering how much of a threat the League of Legends/Institute of War are, as well as their obvious secret agenda, Syndra could actually become a protagonist/anti-hero type of character....

Think about it. If the League attempts anything to fully control Syndra, **** will fly.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZapMyHeart

Senior Member

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracorya View Post
Thank god, a reasonable voice in here. I'm really tired of these people who think they need to be spoon fed EVERY SINGLE LITTLE detail about a champion's lore just to figure out something. (That or just find any reason to rage against Riot).

I mean really? With what we know about Syndra's lore its not freaking hard to figure out why she would join the League.
I disagree. The thing about Syndra's lore is that it doesn't make sense, which is why readers want clarification.

It's actually pretty hard to figure out why Syndra wanted to join the League. She got her freedom, so why did she want to shackle herself to an institution that would limit her freedom and power? If she wanted to join the League to gain power/influence in Ionia to destroy the leaders, based on her personality described, being shackled and restricted is highly uncomfortable for her and most likely, she would not join even for a second due to this. To explain my point, Syndra's personality is painted as a highly neurotic individual. Anything that clashes with her beliefs is likely to send her into hysteria, therefore, having her powers and freedom limited is a no-go, despite what the League (presumably) has to offer.

Which is why Syndra has no reason for joining the League.

Original Lore:
[Though she had won her freedom, she refused to return to the society that had tried to steal her gift. Instead, Syndra decided to claim her former prison as a stronghold. Pushing the boundaries of her magic, she tore the structure from its foundations and raised it into the sky. Free to delve further into her art, Syndra now aims to grow powerful enough to destroy the weak, foolish leaders of Ionia -- and anyone else who would dare shackle her greatness.]

1. There's no reason why she doesn't want to return to the society that had tried to steal her gift. Yes, she won her freedom. But it's already implied that she won it when she blasted her mentor to bits. Stating it is redundant.

2. She has a floating castle and that she was now free to do what she wants with her powers. So why on Earth does she need the League when she's much more free to learn her powers without restriction? Besides, if she's able to lift up a castle that easily, she doesn't need the League for power to squish the leaders of Ionia.

3. Weak, foolish, leaders of Ionia. Really? Saturday morning cartoon villian Viktor wasn't enough?

4. Too much freedom/prison talk. Not enough passion (see: Kat's lore).

5. Personality portrayed at the end is inconsistent with her ambitious nature described in the beginning/in-game quotes.

My take:
[Excited by her newly acquired powers, she refused to return to the society that had tried to seal her gift. Instead, Syndra decided to claim her former prison as a stronghold. With years of pent up anger and frustration, she was able to momentarily push through the boundaries of her magic and tear the structure from its foundations; raising it into the sky as a symbol of her independence and magnitude. Convinced that limitless power is within her grasp, Syndra seeks to untap the full potential of her magic and one day, use it to exact vengeance on the leaders of Ionia-- along with anyone else who would dare block her path to greatness.]


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dorryza

Senior Member

09-23-2012

What I don't get about Syndra is why she would allow herself into the League in the first place- after all, the process of summoning (as well as the concept of leveling) puts more control on her, and she wouldn't be able to harness her full magical potential. Why would she even join?

*and this is why we need Judgements back =_=*


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShadowNinetails

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogle890 View Post
Does Syndra ever get lonely in her castle? I'm sure she'd want someone to be with her eventually. Either friends or lovers.
Mundo goes where he pleases. Awwwwwwwwwwww yeah.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CorDeLumine

Senior Member

11-23-2012

IDEA:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2826136
TL;DR
are Syndra and Varus in any way connected, and could they become allies, despite the fact that Irelia hates Ionia and Varus hates Noxus.
Sorta like Frenemies
ALSO, Syndra and varus have the same necklace


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Outreach214

Junior Member

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thCenturyFaux View Post
All summoning her cats, throwing them at you instead of the orbs of magical power...
when i read that i was thinking more of Syndra in a cat outfit (think kitty katarina) but instead with floating balls of yarn circling around her


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ansaa

Member

11-24-2012

Has Syndra met any champions currently in the league, like Varus, also from Ionia?

Is her power connected in any way to the corruption Varus once guarded?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cerulean Laser

Senior Member

01-01-2013

bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Overlord Forte

Senior Member

01-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansaa View Post
Has Syndra met any champions currently in the league, like Varus, also from Ionia?

Is her power connected in any way to the corruption Varus once guarded?
There's no relation?

Her power is literally her own magical potential, similar to how Annie has great potential but has yet to realize how far it can go.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xulsigae

Senior Member

01-03-2013

If Syndra was to try and do anything to the Elders now, the League would most likely stop her immediately (as has been stated before). They've done 'interventions' quite a few time, notably with Kassadin and Malzahar.