Item Shop and Game HUD Updates

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Amariithynar

11-18-2012

@Boourns @Riot in this thread in general;

"In all items, I don't think it's a big deal and I wouldn't want to devote that much space to consumables considering how tight we are on real estate already. It's not more or less clicks than the other categories. I'm gonna see if we can come up with some creative solutions for recommended items so you don't have to flip back and forth."

Stonewall008 made a pretty good assessment of this in his jungling videos on the PBE in that they should simply be always recommended as starting items (hunter's machete and pots, doran's and pots, boots and pots, etc) in short, that health pots should always be a 'recommended starter item'. Mana pots are much more subjective, especially in who would pick them up, but health pots are a very common buy for any lane early game. (early game recommended picks could also be a place to put pots)

Vzs

11-19-2012

Only if u can customize ur own "recommended items" so u can buy way faster :P

Tokiopopski

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

So how exactly do we set our own custom items?

Jade Essence

11-19-2012

RIOT plz make lord darius on sale this week. PLZ & TY!

BooleanCube

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

Thanks for your responses, I’ve had some time to fiddle around on the PBE, and here’s some thoughts:
1) The item icons feel small, I mean really small. Maybe the size of the icons is fine, but the shop doesn't feel like its about the items
A) The dimming, while effectively gating what can and can’t be bought, is really dim. Makes seeing what you want to buy next harder.
B) The borders are thick, and this thick-bordered icon is sitting in a cozy “Icon+GoldCost” slot that overall makes the item feel small and insignificant in its allotment of space. The proportions feel off.
C) In the HUD, the Hotkeys over the item slots really cover up a lot. Especially for stacks of items, you can’t see the whole item itself. This simply isn’t satisfying, I spend all this gold on buying big, fancy items, look down at the bar, and what did I get? “1 2 3 4 5 6” I had that before, but now I just have more stats. I would really appreciate a way to disable these hotkey notifiers.

In short, I’d really just like the item icons emphasized. This game should have really prominent, distinctive, and instantly-recognizable pictures that are the focal point of the item’s identity. This game is played in like a bazillion languages, and in referencing it only the picture will really be in common. Right now, the actual items are getting overrun by the UI.

2) The shop currently has two ‘presentation modes’, Recommended and All Items. These are fantastic, really well implemented for their purpose. For the sake of raising the bar and player convenience, I recommend a third ‘presentation mode’ that will basically look like Recommended mode, except it will have 3 sections.
A) Section A will include every basic item in the game that is built into other items; e.g. longsword, amp tome, boots1, ruby crystal, dagger… etc etc, all of them.
B) Section B will be comprised of all the consumables (exception: most appropriate place for SightStone+Flask)
C) Section C will include all items that do not fall into the other two categories: e.g. Doran’s Items, Prospector’s Items, Champion-specific (Bonetooth Necklace/Viktor’s Augments), etc etc

As this idea has already been thrown about, suggested, and simultaneously reinvented a thousand times for Riot to see it, I’m sure I've said nothing too original. Instead, what I would like to stress is that adding it will satisfy many players that have adapted to and grown fond of the "find-the-item-from-Trinity-Force's-parts!" buying strategy and enhance the experience of the new Shop UI without compromising the amazing work already invested into it (well, a third button might be a bit crowded, but I'm sure you could figure that out). It also follows a format hopefully easily adapted from the Recommended mode.
Also, the alternative is for individual players to be reliant on 3rd party programs to modify the Recommended Items for every single champion to put those 3 categories under “Starting/Essential” etc.. not ideal, but I guess that could work.

Thank you for your hard work, and have a good day.

Rejuvination

11-19-2012

people, myself included, have said that we aren't quite fans of the new shop on the PBE yet, but also agree that it might just be because we have been so used to knowing exactly where to click for our favorite items. just a bit ago, i had the worst trouble looking for Needlessly large rod, forgetting about the search function, and having to scroll halfway down a page to find it. it will take time to remember that there even is a search funtion, and I hope i get used to it by the time its actually released.

exe3

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
I was keen, just realistic about the amount of effort involved! It's been a long road to get here and getting a team together to work on this, but we're very close to letting you guys play with the new shop and HUD.
And it was a road worth traveling wouldn't you agree? Hopefully it's a road you continue to travel when needed with other parts of LoL.

So i've been looking up the Dota 2 huds etc and i'm confused. In what way is LoL's hud and other moba games huds/in-game store any way similar? I can't see it even slightly. Yes LoL brought on things like showing your mp/hp regen in the mana/health bar as well as the dots telling you the levels of your skills but so what? They're good and logical ideas, why wouldn't you? And those minor inclusions don't make the hud a carbon copy of DotA's hud.

Razeful

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
^^^
You'll be able to customize your build outside the game via an API, like what existed before. The titles of each of the categories are customizeable as well I believe, so you can easily do a grid view with a "Jungle Darius" build next to a "Attack Speed Darius" build or whatever. Full on integrated UI support for customizeable item lists would have delayed getting this out though, so we punted on it for now.
I pray to god (and to you ofc) that a guide for doing so is available with the new HUD/Shop patch.

Vekkz

11-19-2012

Designers, it may be a minor issue, but I think the hotkeys can get confused with the quantity indicators.

Kaoculus

11-19-2012

new HUD looks awesome!