@Ironstylus: has anyone ever rejected your concept art ideas and told you to redo em?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LouisLeGros

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveris View Post
So, are we talking Sona-size here? Or Elise? Maybe smaller like Miss Fortune? Because it's pretty apparent why she's getting a visual rework when she looks perfectly fine, especially her Sun Goddess skin.
Don't worry if the number of complaints about female's appearances in the last weeks haven't been enough, they're gonna skyrocket once this visual rework is released.
Don't say you won't be massively increasing her chest size. It was done when Kayle had her visual rework. Went from Samus ( Is Kayle a boy or girl?) to "Wow look at the size of that breast armour"

(Seriously, why is she even getting a visual rework? She doesn't look bad, and compared to older champs such as Yi, she's absolutely fine and this time could've been better spent on improving those champs.)

They are probably dedicating a lot of visual resources into her with the remake so they feel that since they are already doing so much work on her they might as well get a new model as well.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

11-18-2012
12 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisLeGros View Post
They are probably dedicating a lot of visual resources into her with the remake so they feel that since they are already doing so much work on her they might as well get a new model as well.
Pretty much.

Bastilico

11-18-2012

How much of a concept for a champion is conveyed in their facial expression?

Do you find yourself going through many iterations of a champion's face frequently?

AntiSkillshot

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
We've got you covered in short-haired females in future patches.
Anyone tell you that the first concept of Diana looks similar to Fiora?

SoresuMakashi

11-18-2012

IronStylus, I trust that this remake won't undermine her core themes. It's for these themes that a faithful, albeit small fanbase exists for Karma at all.

ploki122

11-18-2012

Hello Sir Parrot, I stumbled upon that thread and I wondered as a concept artist, what do you think about her (or maybe his, not sure and don't really care) art. I read the comment a bit in the thread and they are pretty much split... So yeah, good or not, and what part is good/not?

ErrorMaster

11-18-2012

Quote:
I'll see what I can throw up, be warned, it's really really bad =/

I'm not sure what constitues a good idea. It's not really an equation. It's more of a feeling when all the pieces put together. We sort of measure it simply in fun and if the champion feels like a character that tells a story, that stands out from other characters in similar media.

Specifically in how I work, how I judge whether the community or the player is going to like it is by doing a lot of what I do now, solicit feedback and learn from the input I recieve. I judge my work mainly by, in the words of Morello, does it sell the fantasy? Again, in the case of Diana, we're trying to sell emotionally detached killer heretic who is imbued with the celestial might of the moon. I think in the visuals we communicated that in the sharp crescents designed into her. We made her gameplay feel self-immolating and vicious, we made her story one of tragedy. I think so long as we hit on those points and reflected the fantasy in all three areas, we're going to hit the right note.

In terms of Syndra, I think that's more of an opportunity thing, something again, that we've learned from. We made a cool evil floating lady with a head dress and giant black... spheres. It ended up as more of a costume change in it's overall design rather than an extremely unique character. Sometimes that happens. I think all we do is learn from that and make sure we take bigger leaps in experimentation rather than playing it conservative with "hot chick in tight costume" thing.

Karma will get a visual rework, but it's going to be a but different. I can't elaborate on that but it will be something I think will be very welcome. I've worked on her visual rework in a bunch of capacities.

I saw a riot concept art of syndra and it looked amazing. but her splash and ingame model are not as good as the concept for some reason. the spheres are a little boring too. She should spawn something more terrifying than little purple balls.

I also feel like your second Diana concept art looks better than the splash. It is like she has so much make-up on her face in the splash art

Fongletto

11-18-2012

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nyIrkzcCvM...oc+-+Final.jpg

THIS NEEDS A WALLPAPER. Why doesn't Diana look like this in game! so good. If this was her splash art and she actually looked like this in game she would probably go from my least favorite to my most favorite.

p.s. Don't feel bad stylus Leona is like my 3rd favourite.

Warrensby

11-18-2012

Quote:
Graves for example started by looking a lot like Gene from Outlaw Star actually. I know, odd angle to come at it from, but hey, that's where it started.
This makes me sad that this didn't happen. Lurv me some Outlaw Star.

Emailsúpport

11-19-2012

Quote:
I'll see what I can throw up, be warned, it's really really bad =/

I'm not sure what constitues a good idea. It's not really an equation. It's more of a feeling when all the pieces put together. We sort of measure it simply in fun and if the champion feels like a character that tells a story, that stands out from other characters in similar media.

Specifically in how I work, how I judge whether the community or the player is going to like it is by doing a lot of what I do now, solicit feedback and learn from the input I recieve. I judge my work mainly by, in the words of Morello, does it sell the fantasy? Again, in the case of Diana, we're trying to sell emotionally detached killer heretic who is imbued with the celestial might of the moon. I think in the visuals we communicated that in the sharp crescents designed into her. We made her gameplay feel self-immolating and vicious, we made her story one of tragedy. I think so long as we hit on those points and reflected the fantasy in all three areas, we're going to hit the right note.

In terms of Syndra, I think that's more of an opportunity thing, something again, that we've learned from. We made a cool evil floating lady with a head dress and giant black... spheres. It ended up as more of a costume change in it's overall design rather than an extremely unique character. Sometimes that happens. I think all we do is learn from that and make sure we take bigger leaps in experimentation rather than playing it conservative with "hot chick in tight costume" thing.

Karma will get a visual rework, but it's going to be a but different. I can't elaborate on that but it will be something I think will be very welcome. I've worked on her visual rework in a bunch of capacities.
Ironstylus, I think Syndra is one of the coolest champions released in a long time. Her kit is really cool and I really like her physical appearance even though she has big boobs.

Please don't change her kit or her appearance, i think she's really really cool and how she floats!!