What to say to incompetent team mates

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

baleofvale

11-18-2012

If you feel like you have to beat up on your own teammates instead of the enemy, you and your team are gonna lose. Your negativity is affecting your game, as well as your teammate's game. Negatively tearing down a teammate is essentially taking the team # down from 5 to 4 or 3; its an auto win for the other side unless they have a dc. Ragers and Haters are a cancer and are everything that is bad about the game.

tldr; Say nothing.

bierfaust

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphane View Post
If you can't phrase your criticism in a way that isn't constructive, as in "Hey, can you just play safe and defend tower until we can come help", just ping or stay silent. You could have also tried to get a lane swap to occur like "If bot lane isn't working for you, can someone else (or you!) take over bot?"

What you can do gameplay is ping, gank bottom, and instantly leave for top once you've ganked. People in Dominion have a tendency to follow whoever they think has some sort of idea what they're doing - in the case of ganking bot sometimes that helps and sometimes it doesn't. Liberal use of pings can hopefully help with that.
Which would be fine if the people were actually receptive of criticism and advice. But sadly most people, especially gold SR players refuse to listen out of some misguided sense of "Im gold you're not, so I know what Im doing" even when the advice is logical and they are in fact getting smashed.

I can recall a game for the other week where our Jayce bot was losing to Pantheon quite a bit. When I looked at his items and saw Tri-Force, but no sanguine, I simply said "Jayce, you need a sanguine" To which I received the reply "I really don't care" then he proceeded to die another 4 times and lose the tower twice before actually building one towards the end of the game when he realised I was right.
And yes, we did gank Pantheon, made him blow his revive, and back off a few times but you can't babysit someone all game when they refuse to listen or co-operate. And no, by that stage in the game we had nobody that was able to swap lanes with Jayce, he was our best chance, and was doing fine for the most part, if only he had a sanguine.

Long story short, people don't listen. We lost, and in turn after a while you give up being nice and just get frustrated.

SuperQuackDuck

11-18-2012

If your teammate isnt receptive to your advice, theres not much you can do. I usually start cracking jokes abt how great their itemization is. At least that way they cant say "no i didnt buy triforce on jayce" because its sitting there in his inv.

Tasao

11-18-2012

You can't say ANYTHING. No matter how helpful. Giving any sort of criticism or feedback is liable to get your warned or suspended. Doesn't matter how polite you are or how nicely you put it. Not only will the vast majority of players react with hostility, but again, you're liable for disciplinary action in the tribunal.

AlphaFerric

11-18-2012

So, a simple solution is to note where someone is making mistakes and directly state the solution to that mistake. Case and point, I remember a game where a Nunu was losing bot to a lee sin. Every time I would mouse over to bot I would see that nunu was using his iceball on lee, and only autoattacking lee instead of minions, who was clearing waves faster due to aoe (outpushing nunu essentially).

The point here is to know what the actual problem is. On the surface, yes, Nunu was losing bot to lee sin. But I can not state a direct solution to this problem (ex: stop losing bot? thats a useless statement).

The big problem was Nunu was getting outpushed and wasting snowballs on a champ with decent sustain. So from there the solution is pretty obvious, push the lane harder than he is pushing.
I told Nunu to only aa minions and use his iceblast on miniions as well, and to essentially ignore lee sin. This equalized the lane and made ganking lee sin a profitable venture.

TLDR: Its not that long so ****ing read it.

Orphane

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierfaust View Post
Which would be fine if the people were actually receptive of criticism and advice. But sadly most people, especially gold SR players refuse to listen out of some misguided sense of "Im gold you're not, so I know what Im doing" even when the advice is logical and they are in fact getting smashed.

I can recall a game for the other week where our Jayce bot was losing to Pantheon quite a bit. When I looked at his items and saw Tri-Force, but no sanguine, I simply said "Jayce, you need a sanguine" To which I received the reply "I really don't care" then he proceeded to die another 4 times and lose the tower twice before actually building one towards the end of the game when he realised I was right.
And yes, we did gank Pantheon, made him blow his revive, and back off a few times but you can't babysit someone all game when they refuse to listen or co-operate. And no, by that stage in the game we had nobody that was able to swap lanes with Jayce, he was our best chance, and was doing fine for the most part, if only he had a sanguine.

Long story short, people don't listen. We lost, and in turn after a while you give up being nice and just get frustrated.
You act like this doesn't happen to everyone. If you've tried to be constructive and the other side isn't receptive, then you shut your mouth and stop typing. They were going to be incompetent and narrow-minded to begin with and if asking nicely doesn't help raging won't either. If you can't be nice be silent.

NavyGothic

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasao View Post
You can't say ANYTHING. No matter how helpful. Giving any sort of criticism or feedback is liable to get your warned or suspended. Doesn't matter how polite you are or how nicely you put it. Not only will the vast majority of players react with hostility, but again, you're liable for disciplinary action in the tribunal.
This is, in my experience, completely and utterly untrue. If I'm friendly and genuinely trying to be helpful, general advice is usually well received.

As with so many things, tact and respect for your teammates is critical. Giving advice is good but no one wants to follow directions blindly; and if you press the issue, that's when people start to react poorly. You need to trust your teammates; if they take the advice, great - if they don't take the advice, maybe they have a good reason for it.

Don't forget that sometimes your advice can be wrong.

And, at the end of the day, if you're right and they're wrong and they're not listening... oh well. Maybe you lose a game. It's not the end of the world, and it's not worth being rude about it.

Tasao

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGothic View Post
This is, in my experience, completely and utterly untrue. If I'm friendly and genuinely trying to be helpful, general advice is usually well received.

As with so many things, tact and respect for your teammates is critical. Giving advice is good but no one wants to follow directions blindly; and if you press the issue, that's when people start to react poorly. You need to trust your teammates; if they take the advice, great - if they don't take the advice, maybe they have a good reason for it.

Don't forget that sometimes your advice can be wrong.

And, at the end of the day, if you're right and they're wrong and they're not listening... oh well. Maybe you lose a game. It's not the end of the world, and it's not worth being rude about it.
My recent warning for such harassing lines as "let's stop pushing top if they're just gonna jump out and ace us every time we try to siege their point. we need to try something different" after getting wiped 4 or 5 times begs to differ.

You can't get away with advice. You can't get away with silence. All you can do is say "going top" or "ganking". Any more or less falls under harassment or refusal to communicate for somebody.

Sauron

11-18-2012

Nekrogen, I blame you.

McZwick

11-18-2012

Me too