I'm being stressed out over my elo.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Neal the eel

11-18-2012

Hi guys, first time posting on forums. I had some issue lately, and it's been getting to the point I'm being depressed.

I was extremely excited about the soft elo reset, and I have been getting ready for S3 for such a long time, about 6 months of playing at the minimum of 3-4 Draft normal matches per day, so I could get a better feel of more serious play.

After months I comfortably can play support, jungle, top, mid, and adc. I start my first few ranked matches of this season, tell everyone I'm fine with any role, and I end up going mid as talon to counter pick veigar.

We tell this one guy to go support, and he locks in Akali, his friend, a Karma, goes bot with him as well, and they end up 0/10, and 0/6. Our tristana was sent solo top, and our Shen that was supposed to top lane prior, was sent jungle.

Into the match I'm beating my lane in CS and 1 kill ahead, top lane is managing to beat a Xin Zhao as Tristana solo top, Shen is ganking well, but bot was just feeding. We tried helping as much as we could, they wouldn't cooperate.
When teamfights started and their fed Ashe came in, we had to surrender.

I really feel bad about this, it's not a 1 time thing, this is just the one I'm mentioning. I'm not pointing fingers and saying I'm good, but literally every match I've been in, 1 or 2 people fed to their heart's content, while I remained positive & had a influence in team fights both in score, and team help wise. How.. how do I get to play with players who realize Akali & Karma bot isn't a good combo? What elo would you say people start caring to learn the Ins & outs of the game?

Bosnianmafia

11-18-2012

Posting your elo might help, I just dropped from 1500 to high 1300s due to similar stuff

MustafaFeeds

11-18-2012

Elo is Elo, worrying about it won't help it at all but just put more pressure and make you more frustrated. Focus on the actual game rather than the statics of winning,losing and constant feeding in games. Also even if your bottom lane feeds you can still win just by being more cooperative with your team and having an overall team comp or simply just having a far overall larger CS.

Id say 1300-1400 people start having a general concept, although elo is pretty busted right now. It will take a few weeks to calm down.

Deoreus

11-18-2012

If you have a team that fails to listen during the pick and does something like that,dodge. I usually don't recommend that and won't dodge even if someone wants to try a different top choice or go double adc or kill lane bot (as long as they communicate). The bad duos always make me nervous because they artificially inflate your team's elo for match making.

Amatzikahni

11-18-2012

If someone is feeding that much in your games, then it should also be statistically probable that you can get just as fed in some of your games (maybe ~5 kills by 10 mins). By improving your own play, you can definitely start to counteract these seemingly hopeless games and start gaining Elo at a fast pace.

Most people sub-1400 really don't have much of a concept of harass and trading; they just farm and farm until they feel like running off to gank, buy, or something random that doesn't help them much. You can easily use strong mechanics to win trades every time your CD's are up, and freefarm CS while zoning them. I just played a 1v1 against a ~1370 person and was up on CS something like 50-22 when I grabbed my first kill by level 6. I would imagine snowballing in that game would have been easy; grab blues, push lane, and gank constantly.

Basically, some very rough math regarding lane phase would be this:
For every lane you win hard, count that as +1
For every lane that's nearly even, count that as 0
For every lane you feed, count that as -1
Add together your total for 10 games. If you're an even 0, you should have a 50% win ratio, and for every point, add/subtract 5%. If you can't win your lane consistently, then you have some improving to do before you can gain Elo. Before the downvotes come in, let me clarify that this is strictly for lane phase against a single opponent, potentially with ganks included or not (however you want to factor that in).

More accurately would be how well you can do against certain matchups and in-game variables. For example, farming evenly against a hard counter could be considered a win, or only being behind by ~15 CS by 10 minutes while getting camped by their jungler could also be considered a win. In addition, there are millions of decisions you can make regarding ganks, going back, harassing vs farming, stealing their jungle, what route to take while ganking, how well you can organize your team, how mechanically sound your ganks are, etc. The midgame and lategame are also included in your overall skill, so make sure that you're not lacking in any area after you win your lane and you should maintain your fed status throughout the game. Some people have terrible lategames even though they win lane easily, and some people struggle in lane but know how to win the lategame, so weak areas will keep you down and strong areas will boost you up. The fastest way to gain skill/Elo is to improve on your weakest areas first.

Etherimp

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatzikahni View Post
If someone is feeding that much in your games, then it should also be statistically probable that you can get just as fed in some of your games (maybe ~5 kills by 10 mins). By improving your own play, you can definitely start to counteract these seemingly hopeless games and start gaining Elo at a fast pace.

Most people sub-1400 really don't have much of a concept of harass and trading; they just farm and farm until they feel like running off to gank, buy, or something random that doesn't help them much. You can easily use strong mechanics to win trades every time your CD's are up, and freefarm CS while zoning them. I just played a 1v1 against a ~1370 person and was up on CS something like 50-22 when I grabbed my first kill by level 6. I would imagine snowballing in that game would have been easy; grab blues, push lane, and gank constantly.

Basically, some very rough math regarding lane phase would be this:
For every lane you win hard, count that as +1
For every lane that's nearly even, count that as 0
For every lane you feed, count that as -1
Add together your total for 10 games. If you're an even 0, you should have a 50% win ratio, and for every point, add/subtract 5%. If you can't win your lane consistently, then you have some improving to do before you can gain Elo. Before the downvotes come in, let me clarify that this is strictly for lane phase against a single opponent, potentially with ganks included or not (however you want to factor that in).

More accurately would be how well you can do against certain matchups and in-game variables. For example, farming evenly against a hard counter could be considered a win, or only being behind by ~15 CS by 10 minutes while getting camped by their jungler could also be considered a win. In addition, there are millions of decisions you can make regarding ganks, going back, harassing vs farming, stealing their jungle, what route to take while ganking, how well you can organize your team, how mechanically sound your ganks are, etc. The midgame and lategame are also included in your overall skill, so make sure that you're not lacking in any area after you win your lane and you should maintain your fed status throughout the game. Some people have terrible lategames even though they win lane easily, and some people struggle in lane but know how to win the lategame, so weak areas will keep you down and strong areas will boost you up. The fastest way to gain skill/Elo is to improve on your weakest areas first.

Last season I was 1500 rated, and mostly jungled.. I went 12/4 easily. 3 of those losses were due to obvious trolls/noobs. IE - Bot lane Cho'gath Support.. Top lane Nocturne who played like he had never played Nocturne before, etc.

This season, I was 1380 when stats got reset, and I queued up with a friend who was 900 rated last season.

We lost 3 games. This put me in the 1200 bracket.

Most of the games lost seem to be due to lack of direction. In inability to stay together, organized, and compete over objectives. Instead, people tend to roam around a lot more and generally get caught out of position.

They don't understand that when it's 5v4 in your favor ,that you should rush a Dragon, Baron, or steal enemy buffs.

They don't understand that after Baron is up, it should be constantly warded and Bot lane should generally be avoided.. IE - your team should stay near mid/top.

They don't understand who the focus goes to in team fights.

They don't know how to peel.

They chase kills across the map, just to get ambushed and killed by overwhelming forces.

This kind of tactical knowledge is a team wide issue. It doesn't matter if people feed early game or if your team gets fed early game. I can win my lane incredibly hard and still lose thanks to a team who is overall disorganized.

You could argue that this applies to both teams so you should still have 50% win/loss. And sure, it does.. But if you're at 50% win loss at 1200 Elo, you stay at 1200 Elo.

Tha Dynamite

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

I hate to break it to you, but it doesn't look like its anyone's fault but your own.

In season 2, you got to 1500 by playing 20 games. That doesn't really show that you earned it.

And in this season, your scores are pretty bad. I'm not saying that you deserve to be 1200, but it kinda looks that way.

Just stop fretting over ELO. If you stop caring about it, you'll play the game better.

Etherimp

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboRal View Post
I hate to break it to you, but it doesn't look like its anyone's fault but your own.

In season 2, you got to 1500 by playing 20 games. That doesn't really show that you earned it.

And in this season, your scores are pretty bad. I'm not saying that you deserve to be 1200, but it kinda looks that way.

Just stop fretting over ELO. If you stop caring about it, you'll play the game better.

20 games, 75% of which I won. Most of which I did quite well in. If I'm REALLY 1200 rated, there would be no way I would win 75% of my matches and make it to 1500 in 20 games.

Furthermore, I wasn't "blaming" anyone. I was pointing out the problems with lower Elo. I was the one who chose to duo-queue with a lower rated person.

Also, my match history means nothing. If you judge people based on that you're oblivious.

acosn

11-18-2012

I started at 1450 ELO in season 2. I ended at 1250 for a variety of reasons.

Season three had 4 of my 5 placement games come down to things outside my control (two AFK games, a mid that fed Lee Sin and Ahri, and simply didn't know how to react to the game going poorly, and a game where half my team was over 200 ping the entire game) and now I'm below 1000 elo.

Now I get games where a LB *****es the whole game about how broken Kassadin is when LB isn't gearing HP at all to outlast his burst, but he had the presence of mind to do that exact thing.

You can't actually tell me I'm supposed to be here.

Still, I wouldn't sweat your ELO. It's a bad system that's designed to keep you exactly where you are (because match making is considered "working" when your win / loss ratio hangs around 50%) that is only in place because every alternative is worse.

It's a game. Enjoy the ride, and cross your fingers that Riot wont throw you under the bus for things outside your control.

Etherimp

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by acosn View Post
I started at 1450 ELO in season 2. I ended at 1250 for a variety of reasons.

Season three had 4 of my 5 placement games come down to things outside my control (two AFK games, a mid that fed Lee Sin and Ahri, and simply didn't know how to react to the game going poorly, and a game where half my team was over 200 ping the entire game) and now I'm below 1000 elo.

Now I get games where a LB *****es the whole game about how broken Kassadin is when LB isn't gearing HP at all to outlast his burst, but he had the presence of mind to do that exact thing.

You can't actually tell me I'm supposed to be here.

Still, I wouldn't sweat your ELO. It's a bad system that's designed to keep you exactly where you are (because match making is considered "working" when your win / loss ratio hangs around 50%) that is only in place because every alternative is worse.

It's a game. Enjoy the ride, and cross your fingers that Riot wont throw you under the bus for things outside your control.

The reality is, in a few weeks most of the really truly bad bad bad players will be down in the 7th layer of Elo Hell, and the misplaced Silvers and Golds will start to slowly pull themselves out of the 1200 range, while the players who started out Season 3 without a single ranked game under their belt come to realize that they aren't ready for it yet.. Things will even out. The beginning of the season seems particularly random.

At 1400+ Elo, if you start out a game 7/0, odds are you're going to win.

At 1100 elo, if you start a game out 7/0, odd are your team will find a way to throw that lead out the window.