@IronStylus: I am very disappointed in you and the art team.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

thiefaturtle

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
50 pages.. no way I can read every one of these posts. To sum up though, despite what you may think, I am not the single point of failure in a scenario where a busty lady makes it through our pipeline. I'm here to be one of many voices that chimes in when appropriate. Can I flip a table or two? Absolutely, if I deem it unnecessary. I really wasn't too terribly concerned about Nami because, well, I think she's a cool design.

Did I notice the ruffles revealing some fish flesh? Yeah, I saw it months ago. Did I think it was particularly a good idea to poo-poo the design when it was on its way, when it was gathering momentum, and when it was being passionately worked on by the artist? Hell no. This will be this particular artist's first champion ever in the game. It's her show in that regard. I didn't find the cleavage to be a monumental red flag.

When I saw the concept I was like.. look at this stuff, isn't it neat? Wouldn't you think this concept's complete? Wouldn't you think she's the girl, the girl that has, everything? Look at those frills, how they unfold. How many wonders can one mermaid hold? Looking around here you think, sure, she's got everything. She's got flippers and scepters a plenty. She's got dashes and splashes galore. You want complementary curves? She's got twenty. But who cares, no big deal, she wants more.

She wants to be where the players are, she wants to see, wants to see them fighting, thinking inside of those, what do you call them? Oh, brains! Flipping to mid you don't get to far. Supports are required for healing, casting, strolling along on that.. what's that word again? Lane! Up where they toss, up where they stun, up where they lane all day in the sun, wandering free, wished she could be, part of that role.

What would she pay, if she could play, out of those waters? What sort of gift, would let her lift, up to the game? Betcha in the rift, they get the drift, that they appreciate their healers. Crowd controllers, supporting rollers, ready to sustain, and ready to help with Carry's job. Lock up the gankers and get some assists. What's a Baron, and how does it, what's the word? Buff! When's it enough? Wouldn't they love, love to play some support up above?

Out of the sea.

Wished she could be.

Part of that roll.

..tune in next time when I explain our champion creation process akin to how the mice put together Cinderella's dress.

Ignore the haters. I love the new champion and the art work.

Besides. Everyone close your eyes. When someone says mermaid what comes to your mind?

Little mermaid? beauty of the sea? Sirens (a mythical creature that seduces men to die in the sea)? Also half of the google images of mermaids are females and topless.

The art is decent enough to put clothes on the champion.

A question to to @IronStylus, was the name Nami in any way affected by the anime One Piece? I find it hard not to connect the two.

Lv 99 Rl0TEN

11-17-2012

Why is GD down?

Kelgore

11-17-2012

id just like to point out that.....without breats, its hard to tell the tiny characters models are women, if it dosnt have breast, has a female voice, must be a child, or a megling....im pretty sure those have breasts too....not that i scrutinize my champs model in the middle OF A FREAKING 10 MAN TEAM FIGHT

Redeemed In Fire

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
cool stuff
This all is fine. You can even make Nami sexually appealing if it makes sense for the character. But it gets frustrating when a good 80% of the "designed to be physically attractive" female champions are all look at my booooobzzzzz!!! There's other things that define femininity than the chest; maybe a face or extra detail is put on legs to make them look good, etc. just something other than DD+ cups on every single champ. This is what we want, and this is all we want. =/

I did a simple/hacky paintover here (which I'm sure will net me downvotes): http://i.imgur.com/nuSJW.png You can easily make Nami look good and appealing without looking like someone attacked her dress.

A side note is that Nami's voice acting sounds like a 14-16 year old which really doesn't jive with the body type IMO.

Morello

Lead Designer

11-17-2012
7 of 23 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
A side note is that Nami's voice acting sounds like a 14-16 year old which really doesn't jive with the body type IMO.
We're working on this now - I definitely agree.

hollowlite

11-18-2012

Quote:
When you first revealed Nami you referred to her as a regal mermaid, so I was surprised when I got in-game and found out she was a spunky teenager. Not that I have any problem with that - I love her personality, I'm just curious what you find regal about her.

Level1Pentakill

11-18-2012

Quote:
Teemo too please, doesn't Jive with being so Toxic and over-bearingly annoying all game.

It's like you take a poisonous snake and you make it sound cute and friendly from a distance.

Rustles my Jimmies somewhat.

TheEnygma

11-18-2012

well if we might be changing the VA, might I suggest a sophisticated sounding british voice? has nothing to do with personal turn-ons or and I'm saying too much, aren't I?

Męw

11-18-2012

Morello, pls don't change Nami's voice, I think it's adorable :c

Auryx

11-18-2012

Quote:
For context, did you know Miss Fortune is the most popular character among female League players? Sona is #2 - something that is appealing to the eye is more aspirational and has a higher "cool quotient" than things that are not - even without hormones in the equation (unless their cool is based on an opposing feature (Kog'Maw, for example)).
Just cutting this bit out because I already wondered how it was determined that 90% of the League population was male and now I'm wondering how it's determined that these two are most popular among females?
I don't remember giving my gender anywhere so I guess these stats seem strange to me.