I'm RiotGypsy. AMAA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bananas de Fire

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
Hi,
-LOVE Fire Emblem
YOU ARE NOW MY FAVORlTE RIOTER!!!

oddish33

11-17-2012

Quote:
50 and 51

2 supports a year is a BASELINE. That means at a minimum we will MAKE SURE to have 2 supports every year so our support players aren't left out in the cold. That doesn't mean we won't make more if we have great ideas for support champs.

Gotta say, as a support main I am VERY HAPPY with what's coming up over the next few months. SEASON 3 ITEMS OMGWTFADSFDASFADS.
Does that mean another support is in development besides Nami? Or are their support buffs in store? Or both? Overall this quote sounds positive to me

IceFire360

11-17-2012

Quote:
48 and 49:

SO MANY BUGS. She's good though. People like her, she's fun to play, and her feel/flow seem pretty solid.

Not a support. Classick made Nami.
Getting pretty excited for this mysterious champion. Hmm any update on a time frame which we could expect her to be release?

A bouncy Furret

11-17-2012

Will there ever be a more direct way to communicate issues with champions to Rioters that we know wont fall on deaf ears?

I'm the Volibear guy you replied to earlier in this thread Gypsy (thank you btw) but it's so frustrating that I have to contact Morello and Volty through twitter to get a 140 maximum character reply which is basically "yeah he has issues but he also has more issues". There's no intellectual exchange and they refuse to post in my Volibear thread (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2182697) and if people think just ignoring these problems is going to make them go away then something is wrong.

Not to mention Season 3 is going to kick Volibear's ass. Literally. He is losing some of his favorite items. The jungle is being made harder, he can barely clear it as is (woo you guys buffed his minion fear by one second!!!!!)

Here's just a few things in Volibear's kit that are (very very) awful design.

1. Health scaling physical damage execute. Health scaling damage is bad enough, making it an execute was an awful decision. Because it is health scaling you can forgo building proper damage and just stack health. But because he gets no other damage benefits from health and it's an execute he cannot properly fight another champion and exchange well because he doesn't have the damage outside of his W to get people low enough to hit them for heavy damage with his W. A Jax could 1v1 a Volibear at level 6 without pressing any buttons except right click, while Volibear could have exhaust and ignite and still lose.

2. Activation on his W is extremely frustrating (hell the entire ability is frustrating). You cannot exchange quickly with an enemy. Especially in top lane where mobility is insane, unless you have 3 stacks on W from last hitting / auto attacking then it is highly unlikely you will even come close to winning an exchange, people can jump in on you, knock off 200 HP and hop away after you auto attack them once. Not to mention you can just as easily be kited for the duration of the stacks, completely nullifying your main damage ability.

3. Casting his ultimate makes Volibear pause for .5+ seconds. His ultimate is a time sensitive ability, if you cast it before you engage then it's very likely you could just be kited until it wears off or most of the duration is gone. If you cast it in battle then you've just stunned yourself long enough for people to escape or mess up your positioning. Pretty much the only time to cast it is just after you land a Q on someone, as they're flying over your head you get a brief moment to use it. But if that champion you hit has any form of mobility (like Graves' E) you will never catch back up to them because you don't have your Q.

4. His passive is lane sustain and hardly anything else. During a fight people will ignite when your passive procs. If you're jungling or top laning then you can pretty easily get a full passive heal off, which is frustrating for both the enemy laner (free sustain after you outplay them) and Volibear (no defenses to fall back on, even though you just healed up it's still likely you will have to go b). As far as passives go Volibear's is the horrid polarity of "almost worthless" to "brokenly OP".

I could keep going on and on about Volibear's issues but I'll end with this.

He is in an awful place where he pubstomps hard but is worthless to top players (imagine old Xin Zhao except much much much worse, Xin was still a strong assassiny bruiser to high elo players and he had his weaknesses in low level play).

But whatever, I'll just keep bumping my thread everyday, waiting for a legitimate red post on the issue that I can engage in intellectual conversation with, someone who can hopefully work with us Volibear players (we've gathered a small following in my thread) to work out what changes he needs to be a viable champion.

Riyshn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Quote:
Do you mean something like Tiny toss? EG, a moveblock you can use on allies? If so I'd say they're risky but not out of the picture. The key is to make and ally targeted moveblock that they can choose not to accept. Then you don't run into the trolling problems where Tiny throws Sniper into the enemy team.
Channeled teleport with a nice big glowy area marked around the champion, any allies (and enemies?) in the area when the channel ends get teleported. Could something like that work?

swan2swan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Behind Caitlyn (who uses it to supply her traps) and Pantheon (he interns there), who is Morgana's most frequent customer at Sinful Succulence?

The One Soraka

11-17-2012

Quote:
-I main supports (Raka, Janna, Lulu, Sona, Taric, Zyra). Also play a TON of Tristana (bot) and Teemo (top). Noct, Shaco, and WW are my go-to junglers. If you force me to play mid (I suck at it) I'll try to grab Kass (provided the matchup wouldn't screw me).

1: As a support/raka main, how do you feel when Soraka is repeatedly nerfed, and when given things to compensate for the nerf (Like increasing infuse ratio from 60% to 75%), they are 'accidentally forgotten' until several months later, when a player does some math and discovers it was 60% all along?
1a: Followup on your feelings regarding them 'correcting the issue' not by changing her ratio to 75%, but just changing the tooltip numbers back down to 60%?

2: Also, what are your opinions on supports carrying? I like to play soraka mid, but so often my allies scream and whine and boohoo and troll and say there's NO WAY a support will be going mid...... and then they lock in morgana or oriana to go mid.

3: Do _YOU_ feel the proper role of a support is a bushbot/wardb!tch/healmachine? Or are you happy with support branded champs who can fill out a caster role if they want to?

A Master Shaco

11-17-2012

@Gypsy, Syndra is actually overpowered, I do so well with her whenever I play her, I've already gotten a penta and she's quickly become my most played, She has great opportunities to use her stun-poke to catch someone out of position and just 100-0 them. Elise however is weak, Her kit has very obvious design flaws and just about everything eats her up, because her base stats and scaling are so terrible.

I'd like it if you'd add me to play with me a few times while I play her so I can change your opinion of her

Iron Solari

11-17-2012

Gyspy, what is your opinion on pop tarts?

gypsylord

Champion Designer

11-18-2012
45 of 65 Riot Posts

52 and 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froghl View Post
hi Gypsylord... I was thinking of a support that instead of mana he absorb energy and stack it...
That's interesting...would be a good way to make a healer imo. Go agro to get energy from opponents, then spend that energy to heal yourself and allies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus Rajnish View Post
Hey! Congrats on the job! I hope you have a wonderful time working for Riot. My question would be, how exactly did you get hired? Did you intern or anything?
Just cold applied on the website during my senior fall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalrix View Post
Hey gypsy I was wondering if you could look at a champion I made. I think its a really unique and fun concept. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...9#post31106069
I'm sorry but I'm having a reallllll hard time reading the post. Could you add some spaces?

Seems like this dude would be an insane pusher. Get Aegis, buff minion waves, take towers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempestphile View Post
Do you approve Qeemo?

Attachment 553956
かわいい!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn0wY View Post
nice, how did you manage that job title? wat do you do that has to do with economics lol
I applied and they just gave it to me. Stuck me right on champ team .
Don't do much with my econ degree now. Mainly reference motivational frameworks in my head if anything. EG why do people do what they do? MAX UTILITY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omendaos View Post
Not sure if you've already answered:
Whats the average time it takes to design a champion after you've thought of they're abilities?

How long does it take to design and finish a new skin for a champion?
I can get a kit made up and implemented over two weekends. The hard part is iteration. You have to test the kit and see what works/what doesn't. What's fun to play and what needs to be improved? Then you have to tweak abilities or sometimes make completely new ones. Iterate, test, iterate, test.

Example: I've made and trashed approximately 10 abilities on my champion. Only one ability from her initial kit made it into her final design and it feels vastly from different from what it originally was.

Skins are for skins team. Not sure really. Depends on how many extra things the skin needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedricChampion View Post
how do you feel about the rat bast... i mean teemo being deleted
Would not be cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellerkrunch View Post
Do you like Udyr?
Why or why not?

P.S. I expect an essay.
Yes. He's elegant, fun, and easy to play/understand. At the same time he has a degree of depth that rewards those who choose to truly master him.

Each stance feels different and each button press has impact and gameplay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarionette View Post
Hey, it's good to meet you. Hopefully we'll see more of you on the forums. I had a question and it's mostly on the overall design so pardon if it's out of your hands, but with design concepts I've heard things like depending where the original character idea stems from can determine how a character is made, like if the main idea is a mechanic than the design will built around the mechanic and vise versa. Does that change the design order, or would it follow the same process as the other characters, and if it does does this impact which side has greater control in it's creation?
Making a character is a team effort. Art informs design and design informs art. While a character can originate from one place or the other, in the end art and design have to synergize and play off each other for the character to feel right.

If I come up with a cool ability I can't just jam it on my champ, it has to make sense on him. I'll talk to artists and ask "how can we make this work?" If we can't make it work I'll try to come up with something else.

Can't answer second question Should ask the art team, they're more informed on the matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred212 View Post
@gypsyord: i hate you ... XD i just spent 3 hours in this topic
anyways so hows your champ coming up? from the looks of it im seeing a champ that: can fit more than one role, is female, she isnt the hot boobs female type(guessing here from comments), she can cc (i think) and by the time you started the post its around 3-4 months so should we be expecting the champ to be one of the first champs for s3 (zed is first i believe so she cant be the first one)
Man i wish I could tell you more about her. She's really cool...hmmmmm, maybe I'm biased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSummoner View Post
1. Somebody already asked it, but I have to ask again, as "reflexes" doesn't really explain it for me. Why do you type Wrengar instead of Rengar?

2. Working at Riot would be awesome, I understand you cannot answer questions about salary and what not, I don't understand why people are asking, but you say you are often there 8-12+ hours a day. I am curious, if you can answer, are people in your line of work typically on a salary or paid hourly?

3. Is there a place where I can see who made what champions?

4. Why did you choose Teemo as your avatar? Of all the awesome champions in the league.. You chose Teemo.. I don't want to just outright say I don't like you.. But it's like.. Teemo..

5. Do you know who Wheel Gator is, and why there isn't a Wheel Gator / Mecha Renekton? Or why Metal Rammus didn't look more like Armored Armadillo?

6. Does following you guys on Twitter / Facebook actually support you in some way? I don't have a.. Twitter..

7. Why aren't there more skins with actual guns? I'm a gun nut and wish Cait, Trist, and Vayne had actual guns.

8. Do you / have you heard The Yordles? They have a few videos on YouTube that a pretty beast, "Insta lock Tryndamere", "The Legend", "Duo queue", and uhh.. Surprised I actually have these memorized.. One about Riven, something like "Broken Wings" or something. You should check them out if you haven't already.
1. Wreflexes. Wrengar was his working name while he was in production.
2. Depends on the job and seniority of position. Some people are salaried and some are hourly.
3. Try the LoL wiki
4. I really enjoy playing character that don't involve me directly interacting with the enemy team. A solo top PvE situation where it's just me, the creeps, and some guy that I kill whenever he gets back to lane is my ideal situation. CS'ing is fun! Super fun to just chill up there, plant shrooms, and then run away when their team tries to 4-man gank me. Also enjoy passive supports for similar reasons. Don't have to interact with enemies, just buff teammates.
5. Don't know wheel gator.
6. It boosts our egos.
7. It's an IP thing. We don't have real guns because our Runterra is about magic, not technology. The few guns we do have are all very steampunk or hextech in nature.
8. They make great songs.