Hey LoL Feminists, Take a seat

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rachel

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloriforus View Post
Im not sure what you mean, It wouldnt make sense for people who have experienced inequality to be Anti-Feminist.

Getting upset that women have an unequal footing in managerial postions throughout the workplace, completely understandable.

Getting upset that women look sexy in a video game, which you choose to play, stating that it objectifies women into sexual objects, how does this make sense to you? If the nature of the women on LoL are that condescending to you, dont play it.

(I realize you stated you dont care, you in this case is the people who do.)
People don't agree with murder and larceny yet play GTA as well?
Maybe that's not the best example.

Just because someone is against "sexualization" doesn't mean they should refuse to play. It's still a fun game. And like suns song says, it's not just about how these characters look, it's the deeply rooted problem behind how they look, and how it's being perpetuated.

I can't really speak on the subject because I'm not a real extremist in this argument, I think it'd be awesome if someone did explain why they don't just up and leave if they're offended (not saying they should)

DebosBike

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louvier View Post
wait birds and children have boobs?
im sorry but giving 4 valid examples does not excuse the 30+ that outweigh it
So its only attractive women with breasts that you have a problem with when they are attractive and have breasts then?

Quote:
a strapless dress is not practical in a battle environment
given how low it is it would either have to be tight as all hell to stay on (restricting breathing and flexibility) or it would slip off as soon as she raises her arms to aim for the kill
Can you name even one champion aside from panthion that has an effectively used set of armor?
Brand is shirtless.. Ezreal is wearing a flight suit from the 1940's..
Olaf is wearing a leotard with shoulder pads in an arctic environment!!!!!

Quote:
lets not forget the fact that a sheriff is supposed to be a respected authority in their town, not dressed like a halloween costumer (also i heard somewhere her dressed was based on a saloon girl's attire? which is silly because a) saloon dresses even cover more than that and b) saloon dresses wouldn't necessary be battle appropriate too)
If we are going for realism, then in the time setting that cait's skin is based on women were not even allowed to be a sheriff! That might have even been far enough back into time that women were treated like property and were legally owned by their father or husband...

Quote:
i dont care if she has a skin with a minidress
i care that her "canon" look is oversexualised despite this being a game that supposedly focuses on heroes and villains fighting for their lives. i highly doubt looking good is higher on their list than protecting their bodies.
Again, none of the armor seen on the champions in this game is conductive to survival on the battlefield.
Morde is probably the closest be he IS a suit of armor rather then someone wearing armor. Everything in regards to the designs of the champions is intended to make them look more appealing man or woman.
How is pentakill olaf related to a rock star or a barbarian? He's wearing jeans and a cowboy hat! He looks more like a country singer then either of the first two things.

Well Hungarian

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by suns song View Post
i'm just going to say one last thing, i think

aside from a few whiteknights and a few radical feminists, i don't think it's LoL's portrayal of female characters that is anyone's chief concern. it's the underlying problem behind it that is a concern. i acknowledge that a lot of people have trouble getting that point across, but there are just as many people stamping their feet and refusing to see farther than 'feminist! feminist! alert! must discount at all costs!'

there is a reason that most portrayals of female characters, not just in LoL, but in most media, are of the scantily clad vixen we see. it could be simplified to '*** sells', sure, but it's deeper than that, and it affects a lot of women on a daily basis.

almost every female character we see in the media is big bosomed, thin, and often vapid. if she isn't vapid, then she has to be attractive. if you are not attractive, then you have no worth. attractiveness is everything. in many cases, women and female characters are brought down to simply being objects. and that's not cool.

there's a reason anorexia is rampant in young girls. there's a reason so many women have no self esteem. there's a reason so many men - and even women, as shown by responses to LoL threads - hold extremely misogynistic views and think it's ok to hold them.

it's not the way LoL champions look. it's the reason why they look that way that is the problem.
Best post so far. Well said!

Louvier, pay attention and read this post. This is how you make points that are valid and have meaning. This is the way that you present your thoughts in a way that will motivate people to question their views and the general accepted view around them.

As far as responding to your post suns song, I can totally understand the points you are making here. It is truly an injustice that there are women out there that feel this way and go to such extremes to try and fit the desired mold sold by media around the world. For this, I am sympathetic. Very well said.

HOWEVER, as I have stated from the get go here...the point I am trying to get across...this is not the place to start to raise awareness. A video game, while being a form of media...is not the best media to make people aware of this. All people do is detract from the fun experience of the game with these subjects. I don't know about everyone else, but I play video games to get away from real life so I do not have to worry about real life problems for a short time.

This is the hurdle that people face trying to use GD as their soapbox. At least that is how I see it.

GrimPhenom

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
I think this is the most healthy approach to the topic. People are going to talk about champions (and the depictions that champions are) because they are important to them. That's a good thing. Making up straw men (or straw feminists) isn't exactly treating the people or the subject matter with respect. Civility!
Well Said

(w00t red post!)

Wise Squirrel

11-17-2012

Quote:
I think this is the most healthy approach to the topic. People are going to talk about champions (and the depictions that champions are) because they are important to them. That's a good thing. Making up straw men (or straw feminists) isn't exactly treating the people or the subject matter with respect. Civility!
Oh, so wise.

Word of the Day: Civility! Better look that up in the dictionary.

Garnet

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimPhenom View Post
I haven't seen this much recently, but then again I don't watch TV, I'm gonna need some examples plz
um... just look around? magazines? posters? advertisements? video games? movies? everything... ?

i find it hard to believe that you haven't seen this lately, because it's everywhere... then again, it doesn't affect you, so perhaps you don't notice it. but when you're in a world where everyone expects you to look like angelina jolie, and places more importance on the size of your breasts and whether or not your crotch is shaved than your intellect or talents, it's hard to ignore.

Rachel

11-17-2012

Quote:
THANK YOU for this video

Garnet

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Hungarian View Post
Best post so far. Well said!

Louvier, pay attention and read this post. This is how you make points that are valid and have meaning. This is the way that you present your thoughts in a way that will motivate people to question their views and the general accepted view around them.

As far as responding to your post suns song, I can totally understand the points you are making here. It is truly an injustice that there are women out there that feel this way and go to such extremes to try and fit the desired mold sold by media around the world. For this, I am sympathetic. Very well said.

HOWEVER, as I have stated from the get go here...the point I am trying to get across...this is not the place to start to raise awareness. A video game, while being a form of media...is not the best media to make people aware of this. All people do is detract from the fun experience of the game with these subjects. I don't know about everyone else, but I play video games to get away from real life so I do not have to worry about real life problems for a short time.

This is the hurdle that people face trying to use GD as their soapbox. At least that is how I see it.
oh, i agree with you here. i think all of these posts are silly and unnecessary. i'm just working a 10 hour shift sitting at a desk, so i don't have much else to do. :P

all i know is when i get home i'm probably going to play a couple games with my beloved MF

cheers

Alessandra

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantash View Post
Over sexualized males in LoL:

Taric
Xin Zhao
Gangplank
Twisted Fate
Singed (Crazy mad scientists can be sexy)
Ryze
Sion for his muscles
Dr mundo for his muscles
Master YI
Olaf
Tryndamere
Vladimir
Pantheon
Gragas (teddy bear kinda sexy)
Mordekaiser (for strength)
Ezreal
udyr
Shen
Malzahar
Garen
Swain (Old sexy mysterious guy)
Jarvan
Lee Sin
Talon
Graves
Viktor (technology is sexy)
Varus
Darius
Draven
Jayce
Zed

Over Sexualized Women:
Janna
Evelynn
Sivir
Soraka
Morgana
ashe
Miss Fortune
Sona
Nidalee
Katarina
Lux
Akali
Riven
Leblanc
Irelia
Caitlyn
Cass
Leona
Vayne
Shyvanna
Ahri
Sejuani
Fiora
Zyra
Syndra
Elise
Dianna

Are we even now?
the Womens are sexy the males are sexy can we all hug and then kill each other over and over in matches. PLEAAAAASEEEEEE!!!

none of your male examples are shirtless or posing for a magazine in their splash art or in game, in fact, most of them are covered within layers and layers of clothing and intricate armor, taric and zed...reeallly?

even in your female examples you listed diana, her dark valkyrie skin could be considered as a bit sexualized but her default and intended look most certainly breaks the mold that teenage boys so desire. I think you dont understand what oversexualization of a character means

all in all if you think about it actual grown heterosexual/bisexual men and lesians dont get off on the pixel **** anyway. It's only the teenage boys who actually like that kind of unrealistic nonsense and will buy it up, which is ultimately the largest demographic in gaming- that is immature boys-.

evelastina

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebosBike View Post
I seriously doubt that the artists sit down and think, ok.. how can I catch the attention of some pervert to make them buy this champion?
No.. they are thinking, I'm going to draw a really badass chic that is cool, and being attractive is a trait that strongly falls in line with this for both men and women.
They accentuate the gender based traits that all champions have in this game, it isn't just the women.

Both men AND WOMEN prefer aesthetically pleasing models, this is a fact of life.. Even babies that are less then a month old will spend more time looking at someone that is attractive (male or female) then someone that is not.

You aren't perverted for noticing it, you are perverted for focusing entirely on it and nothing else.

They could put an old fat women in there if they wanted to but they won't because no one would buy it. You don't see any men asking for a skinny nerdy looking champion with thick glasses for the same reasons.

Old women are thought of as kind and gentle, not conductive to a battlefield or making them look badass. Fat people are thought of as lazy, slow, and weak... Gragas is a rare exception since he's a raging drunk, and urgot is an aberration so it doesn't quite apply to him.

What exactly do you think of when you think of a deadly woman?
judging by all the "economics majors" we seem to have here they must have conferences on *** sells because apparently if you make a non-sexy champ no one will buy her
you dont have to be the epitome of attractiveness to be badass
and there are many different attractive body types than the barbies we keep seeing

something can be aesthetically pleasing without being sexual! its hard to grasp i know
you dont have to have your cleavage showing or wear a catsuit to be attractive

if they were confident in their abilities to make fun-to-play champions, they wouldnt have to rely on *** appeal to sell their characters

people still play zilean and gragas and they're old/overweight

and i dont even mean so far as gragas sized
but there arent any women in the league that a plus sized in the least
think of nani from lilo and stitch
she's not model thin but she's still attractive

when i think of a deadly woman, i think her appearance should mirror that
when i look at these champs, its clear that their main purpose is to be attractive before they are strong