Hey LoL Feminists, Take a seat

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phrosn

Senior Member

11-17-2012

First of all men have nothing to do with the subject at hand. Look up the meaning of a straw man argument when you have time.

Personally I don't have a problem with the stereotypical female figure. It looks wonderful, but their are also other beautiful women who don't fit society's stereotype.

I just want more diversity and creativity from Riot's artist. Frankly, it's like they are not even trying to make females different in their physical appearance. The continued disregard for the diversity of females, gender stereotyping, should be a concern of a modern society. Riot seems to be making a statement that only young beautiful 38-24-36 women exist in Runeterra. Yes, that may be the greatest fantasy ever, but every story has a meaning. Why would Riot create a fantastical world that gender stereotypes women? I don't know, but more diversity among female human champions would be a welcome change.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

King GrimPhenom

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louvier View Post
because you cant dress like a woman unless you're wearing a minidress
sorry for anyone out there with jeans on
you're butch
So a woman has no options?
Sorry for anyone with the option of wearing Jeans or a dress
You're over privileged


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DaMiTzNhan

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posioned Ruby View Post
Ragecomics aren't funny in the slightest.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rachel

Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by suns song View Post
i'm just going to say one last thing, i think

aside from a few whiteknights and a few radical feminists, i don't think it's LoL's portrayal of female characters that is anyone's chief concern. it's the underlying problem behind it that is a concern. i acknowledge that a lot of people have trouble getting that point across, but there are just as many people stamping their feet and refusing to see farther than 'feminist! feminist! alert! must discount at all costs!'

there is a reason that most portrayals of female characters, not just in LoL, but in most media, are of the scantily clad vixen we see. it could be simplified to '*** sells', sure, but it's deeper than that, and it affects a lot of women on a daily basis.

almost every female character we see in the media is big bosomed, thin, and often vapid. if she isn't vapid, then she has to be attractive. if you are not attractive, then you have no worth. attractiveness is everything. in many cases, women and female characters are brought down to simply being objects. and that's not cool.

there's a reason anorexia is rampant in young girls. there's a reason so many women have no self esteem. there's a reason so many men - and even women, as shown by responses to LoL threads - hold extremely misogynistic views and think it's ok to hold them.

it's not the way LoL champions look. it's the reason why they look that way that is the problem.

i apologize for not being very good with words, i never claimed i was articulate
Yes I really enjoyed this post
especially the sentence I bolded.

I don't have much to add except that I agree.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Valkymie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Hungarian View Post
Most women are not discouraged to play this game because of how the female champions appear. In fact, of the women who have posted in this thread all of them enjoy the female artwork.

They keep making champions directed towards males because that is what makes them money.

If you can make a cup of orange juice and a cup of apple juice for the same price...but sell the apple juice more frequently in higher volumes...which one would you make?

I am really starting to think there is no way to discuss anything with you. You just keep trying to pound that square peg into a round hole. If you really want to see things change, go start a female gaming community...contact Riot directly...do something other than repeating the same thing over and over.

You are the minority when it comes to this topic. It is not because you are a female. It is because of your point of view...your opinion. As such, it is up to you to make valid points that people can understand and relate with in a manner that will make them question things. Do this and you might get somewhere. Thanks for the conversation.
theres already plenty of women that play this game and if they made more female champs, more women would feel encouraged to play it too

like ive said before, appealing to more than one demographic is good
no one is saying stop appealing to the male demographic
just to start appealing to the females too

im only repeating things because no matter how clearly i try to put it no one is understanding the point im trying to make

its not an "or" scenario
im asking for them to sell both apple juice and orange juice, by your analogy
people that like aj arent going to ***** if they start selling oj too
but people that like oj will ***** if they know they CAN sell oj but only sell aj, you know?
and then every now and then they throw us a cup of oj and expect to be "satisfied with what we get"


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

talentednot

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Huh?
Actually I think it's more often people who havent experience inequality being the ones who are ANTI-feminist.

It's like people born into privilege are more likely to not understand what it's like to starve, or know the value of a dollar, etc etc.

Just because I am LUCKY to not experience inequality, doesn't mean others are. And I can see that.
Im not sure what you mean, It wouldnt make sense for people who have experienced inequality to be Anti-Feminist.

Getting upset that women have an unequal footing in managerial postions throughout the workplace, completely understandable.

Getting upset that women look sexy in a video game, which you choose to play, stating that it objectifies women into sexual objects, how does this make sense to you? If the nature of the women on LoL are that condescending to you, dont play it.

(I realize you stated you dont care, you in this case is the people who do.)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Valkymie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Plos View Post
Except most women seem to not only be neutral, but AGAINST what you're repeating over and over again.

No, they won't make the game to cater to you and maybe 2 others, deal with it.



And this is the right way to go, don't **** on someone else's fun, look for your own.

As I said in the very first post here, men don't give a **** if they add more (like EVERY single male character in the game) unrealistic male body types to the game. You want equality, learn from them.
again im not saying
cater to wimins we want to be more importantsss

im saying stop acting like young males are the only gamers out there with money

i AM looking for my own fun
by trying to get people to agree that variety is the spice of life

yes i will learn "equality" from the gender that has oppressed women since the dawn of time


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ExpandingEye

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloriforus View Post
Im not sure what you mean, It wouldnt make sense for people who have experienced inequality to be Anti-Feminist.

Getting upset that women have an unequal footing in managerial postions throughout the workplace, completely understandable.

Getting upset that women look sexy in a video game, which you choose to play, stating that it objectifies women into sexual objects, how does this make sense to you? If the nature of the women on LoL are that condescending to you, dont play it.

(I realize you stated you dont care, you in this case is the people who do.)
For many of us, it's not that we are upset that women look sexy in a video game. We in fact like (if not love that). However, we like and love other things, like lulu's and anivia's, and that there is becoming an increasing imbalance, whereas in the beginning, there was a lot more relative variety.

We complain in the forums because we want things to change, because we want to play. An analog: People participate, vote, and complain in society to transform society into something they would prefer primarily for themselves, and secondarily for their view of what society should be.

Additionally, it may not even be an issue of sexy, but the fact that their models are so similar.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

davin

Senior User Researcher

11-17-2012
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZankouHoshizora View Post
While I can't speak for anyone other than myself, I think about champion design and discuss the issue because I think it does matter.
I think this is the most healthy approach to the topic. People are going to talk about champions (and the depictions that champions are) because they are important to them. That's a good thing. Making up straw men (or straw feminists) isn't exactly treating the people or the subject matter with respect. Civility!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

King GrimPhenom

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by suns song View Post
i'm just going to say one last thing, i think

aside from a few whiteknights and a few radical feminists, i don't think it's LoL's portrayal of female characters that is anyone's chief concern. it's the underlying problem behind it that is a concern. i acknowledge that a lot of people have trouble getting that point across, but there are just as many people stamping their feet and refusing to see farther than 'feminist! feminist! alert! must discount at all costs!'

there is a reason that most portrayals of female characters, not just in LoL, but in most media, are of the scantily clad vixen we see. it could be simplified to '*** sells', sure, but it's deeper than that, and it affects a lot of women on a daily basis.

almost every female character we see in the media is big bosomed, thin, and often vapid. if she isn't vapid, then she has to be attractive. if you are not attractive, then you have no worth. attractiveness is everything. in many cases, women and female characters are brought down to simply being objects. and that's not cool.

there's a reason anorexia is rampant in young girls. there's a reason so many women have no self esteem. there's a reason so many men - and even women, as shown by responses to LoL threads - hold extremely misogynistic views and think it's ok to hold them.

it's not the way LoL champions look. it's the reason why they look that way that is the problem.

i apologize for not being very good with words, i never claimed i was articulate
I haven't seen this much recently, but then again I don't watch TV, I'm gonna need some examples plz