Help thread for players, answer by 1800s.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

til Days of Blue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

If you are in the 1300s, it is rather obvious that even if you know everything, you are not playing them in depth yet. A huge part of going from 1300 to 1500+ is by improving mechanics that is well known by everyone. For example, since you are playing top lane, it is generally much better to lose 20 cs and get a kill, because the experience advantage is so important at top lane, making the small exchange of gold totally worth it. (Even if the gold gain from 20 cs will usually be more than one kill) However, the risk is there and you must be willing to take it.

For jungling, Your pick is fine, those champions really fit into every single team comp, however, be sure that you are ganking enough as maokai, or using your ultimate well enough with other junglers.

Nidalee bot support is not as good after 6, due to the fact that she lacks ability to peel for her carry. CV is also rarely needed, especially on Nidalee support, because you lack the ability to stop the enemy from doing damage (aka exhaust is good). Finally, Tear is just a bad item on Nidalee. Due to the fact that you are playing Nidalee as a support, you won't have enough time to spam the tear to 500 most of the time, even though you can charge it with the cougar form, and building a tear also make you extremely squishy.

***However, Nidalee support can be legit pick in some situation, especially when your carry has the ability to escape and make good use of your poke, Ez can work, but probably not Caitlyn.

****This doesn't work for most aggressive lane combo, such as a lane with Blitz or Leona. These guys will just go straight on you and kill you.

cF Tempest

11-17-2012

Ken,
I'm interested in maining Irelia as my top for solo queue (Jax, if they pick Irelia)

I have been practicing in normals. I play a utility playstyle.

Masteries - 9/21/0 (For AS Defensive/MS bonuses)
Runes - MS Quints, Flat AD Marks, Flat Armor Seals, MR/Lv Glyphs

About 60% of the time I lose my lane in a 1v1 setup. With a successful jungle gank I win/lose my lane depending on who got the kill. I can generally deny gold if I am winning or leech experience and not get gold if I am losing. 50% of the time I get tower dived successful when a jungle comes in for the kill. Its frustrating how I can be full HP, with a 2 second stun and still die without taking someone down with me.

I am a gold player from both S1 and S2 that wavers around the 1600 mark. Preseason 3 has pitted me against a lot of plat/diamond players and I feel this is both a blessing and a curse. a) it helps me get better at this game, b) it shows me how much I truly suck at this game

As mentioned above, I play a utility playstyle so I utilize teleport looking for objective control and possible ganks. This already puts me at a disadvantage in a 1v1 setting (except for the early tower return for more experience.) My combo rotation and last hitting is pretty legit. I typically walk up and Equilibrium Strike (E) followed with Hiten Style (W) and if they run I Bladesurge (Q) for the gap closer.

I understand Irelia is a lategame champion and is just to farm early so she can tear through the squishies. I actually win most of my games if the rest of my team is doing decent because the amount of pressure I put on enemies with little armor is insane. So winning the game isn't the issue.

I guess the advice I am looking for is in my itemization. Irelia can build tank since her DMG output is from Hiten Style. Which means she benefits from AS. For a time I was experimenting with AS marks but it just made last hitting harder.

Here's my standard build and justification:

Boots + 3 Potions
(( Situationally I sometimes build Cloth +5 but more often I do the boots to rush Phage))

Phage
(( Slow procurement make harassment easier with W))

Merc Treads / Recurve Bow
(( CC is a major factor in my death / Need more sustain in lane ))

Trinity Force
((Irelia's Bread and Butter))

Guardian Angel
((Icing on top of the cake))

By the time I get that far the game is usually over. I have faced all kinds of top laners from your AP dealers like Vladmir and Rumble, to your AD bruisers like Olaf and Riven.

I know this is just redundancy at its best, but even though I build armor or magic resist anytime I try and trade I always come out on bottom. I'm starting to think that Irelia was never meant to win 1v1's against bruisers. If you could recommend any streams on Irelia gameplay I would be much appreciated. The laning phase is the most frustrating part.
I am playing against platinum/diamond players so like you said in the earlier post its all about knowing the CDs on your opponents abilities.

Thanks in advance!

ScorpionKICK

11-17-2012

This thread seems really viable, so I might as well ask this.

So, I'm not necessarily a "newbie", but I feel like I play too aggressively. I like to top lane, playing mostly Wukong and/or Jayce. (Some time ago I started jungling with Rengar) I know the basics (Warding certain brushes, last hitting, etc.), but I die easily because I don't know when to quit chasing someone. I'm level 29, almost ready to start solo queue, but I'm worried that my first game will be horrible when I start playing against people on my level/better than me.

So this brings me to my question(s).

1) How do you play? (Passively, aggressively, etc.)
2) Do you have any tips for a new level 30 player about to start ranked?
3) What can I do to become an overall better player?
4) Which champions do you recommend for solo top and jungle?

Thanks for reading.

1Y 2M 20D

11-17-2012

How to become stronger? Watch stream?Read Guide?Find own style?Reading patch notes?

til Days of Blue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXe Faith View Post
Ken,
I'm interested in maining Irelia as my top for solo queue (Jax, if they pick Irelia)

I have been practicing in normals. I play a utility playstyle.

Masteries - 9/21/0 (For AS Defensive/MS bonuses)
Runes - MS Quints, Flat AD Marks, Flat Armor Seals, MR/Lv Glyphs

About 60% of the time I lose my lane in a 1v1 setup. With a successful jungle gank I win/lose my lane depending on who got the kill. I can generally deny gold if I am winning or leech experience and not get gold if I am losing. 50% of the time I get tower dived successful when a jungle comes in for the kill. Its frustrating how I can be full HP, with a 2 second stun and still die without taking someone down with me.

I am a gold player from both S1 and S2 that wavers around the 1600 mark. Preseason 3 has pitted me against a lot of plat/diamond players and I feel this is both a blessing and a curse. a) it helps me get better at this game, b) it shows me how much I truly suck at this game

As mentioned above, I play a utility playstyle so I utilize teleport looking for objective control and possible ganks. This already puts me at a disadvantage in a 1v1 setting (except for the early tower return for more experience.) My combo rotation and last hitting is pretty legit. I typically walk up and Equilibrium Strike (E) followed with Hiten Style (W) and if they run I Bladesurge (Q) for the gap closer.

I understand Irelia is a lategame champion and is just to farm early so she can tear through the squishies. I actually win most of my games if the rest of my team is doing decent because the amount of pressure I put on enemies with little armor is insane. So winning the game isn't the issue.

I guess the advice I am looking for is in my itemization. Irelia can build tank since her DMG output is from Hiten Style. Which means she benefits from AS. For a time I was experimenting with AS marks but it just made last hitting harder.

Here's my standard build and justification:

Boots + 3 Potions
(( Situationally I sometimes build Cloth +5 but more often I do the boots to rush Phage))

Phage
(( Slow procurement make harassment easier with W))

Merc Treads / Recurve Bow
(( CC is a major factor in my death / Need more sustain in lane ))

Trinity Force
((Irelia's Bread and Butter))

Guardian Angel
((Icing on top of the cake))

By the time I get that far the game is usually over. I have faced all kinds of top laners from your AP dealers like Vladmir and Rumble, to your AD bruisers like Olaf and Riven.

I know this is just redundancy at its best, but even though I build armor or magic resist anytime I try and trade I always come out on bottom. I'm starting to think that Irelia was never meant to win 1v1's against bruisers. If you could recommend any streams on Irelia gameplay I would be much appreciated. The laning phase is the most frustrating part.
I am playing against platinum/diamond players so like you said in the earlier post its all about knowing the CDs on your opponents abilities.

Thanks in advance!
As Irelia I prefer using AS mark much more than AD mark, due to her main damage output are from her W. However, AD mark is a legit pick for easier last hit and early aggression.

Irelia's true power, however, is her ability to do huge burst of true damage, and still have strong sustain damage if she has her W up. What this means is that even when she is low hp, there is a high chance she can turn the fight around if the enemy is at half health, simply because she burst hardcore.

As for building her, usually we look into two major factors.

1. Can the enemy burst you or poke you too hard to recover from

2. Do you have enough burst in your combo.

If the enemy have a champion such as Vlad or Rumble, it is advised to get MR right away, and most of the time building it into Wit's end even before Phage, this gives you trading power, and most often you can out sustain their poke with W's passive

If it is 2, you are asking yourself what item you need for that instant burst. Trinity force is usually the answer, while you build ninja tabi which can be sold later on, but as of this stage you want that extra movement speed.

Finally, Irelia can win against A LOT of the 1v1 match up, For example, if Jax's counterstrike is down, you will win against him at level 9. If Olaf isn't running away and fighting you, all you need to make sure is that he fail his throwing axe and you will also come ahead of him. AD Nid will just get shut down by you once you get that ninja tabi and phage.

***One of the biggest mistake I think you are making right now is walking to the enemy to E them. Smart players will poke you as they back off. Your best shot is to Q on a lower health minion while the enemy champion is around it, instantly going E on him and pop W, then use Q again because it proc on-hit effect.

til Days of Blue

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionKICK View Post
This thread seems really viable, so I might as well ask this.

So, I'm not necessarily a "newbie", but I feel like I play too aggressively. I like to top lane, playing mostly Wukong and/or Jayce. (Some time ago I started jungling with Rengar) I know the basics (Warding certain brushes, last hitting, etc.), but I die easily because I don't know when to quit chasing someone. I'm level 29, almost ready to start solo queue, but I'm worried that my first game will be horrible when I start playing against people on my level/better than me.

So this brings me to my question(s).

1) How do you play? (Passively, aggressively, etc.)
2) Do you have any tips for a new level 30 player about to start ranked?
3) What can I do to become an overall better player?
4) Which champions do you recommend for solo top and jungle?

Thanks for reading.
You are asking a lot of stuff that is experience base, but I will try my best to answer them

1. It is mostly depend on the champion and team comp. For example, if I have a Rumble, I know that I will most likely beat most solo top, so I might as well go all out aggressive and trade with the enemy, but if I am playing Vladimir, I can easily farm up and have more team fight presence compare to most solo top.

2. Don't start ranked until your normal W/L ratio pass 50%, they usually represent your ability to carry a game. For example, I was a diamond player at season 2 and my normal win ratio is 59%.

3. Pay attentions to a lot of the tiny details. For example, even if you call mid mia, often times there are traces for you to know where he went. If he is on purple side and he went up, he could have went to wraith or top lane, or even leash for enemy jungler. These tiny things eventually adds up and allow you to have the upper hand in the battle field.

4. Solo top: Vlad, Jax, Olaf. These 3 champions are strong early game and strong late game.
Jungle: Amumu, Skarner, Maokai, Lee Sin
These junglers pretty much sum up all the required fields.

til Days of Blue

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Return View Post
How to become stronger? Watch stream?Read Guide?Find own style?Reading patch notes?
Play more and find your own style. Guides are nice for an overview on builds or gameplay on a champion, but what fits for others don't necessary fit for you.

Drakojan

11-17-2012

This is just a generic question. Do you have any jungle tips? I used to hate jungling because I was so bad at it, but I just picked up Amumu and Zed, and I've been practicing, and I think I've gotten MUCH better. (0/12/1 to 5/1/5? I'm amazing. :P) When I jungle, if I gank, if I don't have CC on my team, it fails. They just run to their turret. Should I start ulting at single targets as Amumu? Do you have any tips for Jungle Zed? Also, how do I know when to dive? I'm extremely aggressive, so I've made it a habit not to dive unless they're below 150 HP at most.

til Days of Blue

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakojan View Post
This is just a generic question. Do you have any jungle tips? I used to hate jungling because I was so bad at it, but I just picked up Amumu and Zed, and I've been practicing, and I think I've gotten MUCH better. (0/12/1 to 5/1/5? I'm amazing. :P) When I jungle, if I gank, if I don't have CC on my team, it fails. They just run to their turret. Should I start ulting at single targets as Amumu? Do you have any tips for Jungle Zed? Also, how do I know when to dive? I'm extremely aggressive, so I've made it a habit not to dive unless they're below 150 HP at most.
You can ult single target as Amumu as long as it is a success gank, I don't know much about jungle Zed yet, but as for diving, even when the enemy have full hp, a dive is possible. The fact is that you must take account into the amount of cc the enemy have, as well as the damage on your team and how well can your team tank the turret. For example, Lee Sin is really good at turret diving due to his ability to go in and out, and change turret aggro to teammates.

iDpark

11-18-2012

Another question.

You said I needed to improve my mechanics.
Is there any specific way to do this?

I'd like to eventually go up in elo, but 1200 is where I am and probably where I belong.
Are there any specific tips that will help?