Xerath

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mid Is A Feeder

11-17-2012

He seems pretty unique, and the games i've seen against him (1 ._.) he did pretty well. I might consider buying him, but is he viable? Im asking because there really isnt any xerath players i've seen.

Norlannan

11-17-2012

I DON"T know why people don't play him, underpowered or maybe people don't know how to build him idk. He's got the best range for his spells with his 'W' Staying in the back being the artillery is fun.

Mid Is A Feeder

11-17-2012

Bump. Seriously considering him a next buy p_o

OneSixthIrish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

I like him a lot, but pros don't play him because other pros will dodge his skill shots too easily.
Xerath does well against mids without a lot of mobility, but suffers hard against mids with gap close. You have to enjoy risk reward skill shot game play to enjoy Xerath. Just remember that if you get a poor match up in a blind game, it's not your fault you can't dominate your lane, it's just rock paper scissors at that point, and it doesn't make him worthless in every situation.
If you were thinking of bringing Xerath to the ranked scene I would recommend against it, just due to the nature of higher level players dodging Xerath skill shots.
Coming from a guy who doesn't really do ranked but owns all the champs, I would recommend the floating lighting balls artillery that is Xerath.

Mid Is A Feeder

11-17-2012

Question:

Hows his survivability, compared to other carries like teemo? Does xerath give a lot of damage output to be very effective for his squishy-ness?

LessHerpMoreDerp

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchDragon97 View Post
Question:

Hows his survivability, compared to other carries like teemo? Does xerath give a lot of damage output to be very effective for his squishy-ness?
his passive gives him armour according to how much AP he has... so build rylais and ROA and you got HP + the defense from all the AP you build...

above is all theoratical tho, never played him

Best Furry NA

11-17-2012

I would actually recommend Xerath for ranked play, but only AFTER you have had tons of practice.

Xerath requires a TON of practice, and is a high skill cap champion. Maybe not the highest, but he's definitely up there.

He has one of the highest bursts in game, and even Riot has said after -decently- fed he can basically choose to kill whoever he wants ever 60 seconds (less with Blue buff).

If you can't land all 3 of your ulti's then you need more practice; do more than just one bot match after getting him.

Gap closers provide problems with him. Currently Katarina is common, and she is hard. I have beaten good Katarina's, but, the problem is it requires in a situation where both of you use ignite, that you stun her right as she uses her ult (or about 1 second after), and that you can get your full combo off before she finishes you. It's literally a split-second thing. I've won it multiple times, but god that's hard...

LeBlanc is also hard, but, actually manageable. She can burst you to high hell, but if you capitalize on your range, you can harass her a ton.

High mobility? Let's look at Fizz. You can toss out your E, wait for his pole vault thingy to be finished, stun him with q, and run back. Repeatedly. A good fizz will give you a hard time though.

Some say maximize W>E. It is a preference thing, but I suggest never doing this. Q always first, but E gives you more damage. W's range stays the same (get it at 2 or 4; I usually get it at 4), but gives you more magic pen. You don't really need that pen that early in the game as opposed to raw damage that can be more reliable (two low-health champs; E one Q the other, versus and underpowered E).

Xerath is a mid game champion. He will fall off late game unless fed, so in mid game, try to kill as much as possible. You are Xerath. They should fear you. That being said, rush Rabadon's after a Dorans x3. Here's the funny thing. Double Doran's sucks on him. Single Doran's sucks too. Triple works wonders. Just the right amount of health, mana regen, and ap. Also, until you get your first Doran's (usually start with Boots+HP x3), you will be mana hungry. Harass often, but beware. The only time I'd advise skipping Dorans x3 is if you can get a Needless. I go for Doran's x3 and will sell 1 for a Needless, and will never give up my last for the full Rabadon's.

You don't want survivability on Xerath. Why? You have no means of escape and you are far range. You can do your full combo with no one seeing you, from the jungle, with W up (it's pretty damn funny getting a double kill when they have no clue where you are). If they get to you, however.. You're likely dead. Try to stun if possible, you can live, but in all likelyness... Bye. Nice knowing you. Instead, build all the sheer raw power you can. Your full build will give you crazy amounts of damage (over 1500 damage after all 3 launches of R? AoE? Yes please.)

Blue buff is amazing; ask your jungler. So is Blue elixir, but I'd save this for late game really.

Build should look like:

Boots+3
Doransx3
Needless (selling up to 1 Doran's, or foregoing)
Rabadon's or Sorc Shoes, then the other (having at least one Doran's left)
Rylai's (the slow is amazing for landing your skill shots against skilled opponents)
Zhonya's/Anthene's/Void. Zhon for crazy AP and resistance to a fed AD carry in team fights. I said no survivability, but you still want this. Nice use too for after your combo, though I really never find myself using it due to my range. Anthene's not so much for the mana regen as just really good CDR and AP. Fiendish Codex first, not the Chalice. Void Staff just gives you so much more damage at this point, they'll all cry.

Hope this helps~

Mid Is A Feeder

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacialwrath View Post
I would actually recommend Xerath for ranked play, but only AFTER you have had tons of practice.

Xerath requires a TON of practice, and is a high skill cap champion. Maybe not the highest, but he's definitely up there.

He has one of the highest bursts in game, and even Riot has said after -decently- fed he can basically choose to kill whoever he wants ever 60 seconds (less with Blue buff).

If you can't land all 3 of your ulti's then you need more practice; do more than just one bot match after getting him.

Gap closers provide problems with him. Currently Katarina is common, and she is hard. I have beaten good Katarina's, but, the problem is it requires in a situation where both of you use ignite, that you stun her right as she uses her ult (or about 1 second after), and that you can get your full combo off before she finishes you. It's literally a split-second thing. I've won it multiple times, but god that's hard...

LeBlanc is also hard, but, actually manageable. She can burst you to high hell, but if you capitalize on your range, you can harass her a ton.

High mobility? Let's look at Fizz. You can toss out your E, wait for his pole vault thingy to be finished, stun him with q, and run back. Repeatedly. A good fizz will give you a hard time though.

Some say maximize W>E. It is a preference thing, but I suggest never doing this. Q always first, but E gives you more damage. W's range stays the same (get it at 2 or 4; I usually get it at 4), but gives you more magic pen. You don't really need that pen that early in the game as opposed to raw damage that can be more reliable (two low-health champs; E one Q the other, versus and underpowered E).

Xerath is a mid game champion. He will fall off late game unless fed, so in mid game, try to kill as much as possible. You are Xerath. They should fear you. That being said, rush Rabadon's after a Dorans x3. Here's the funny thing. Double Doran's sucks on him. Single Doran's sucks too. Triple works wonders. Just the right amount of health, mana regen, and ap. Also, until you get your first Doran's (usually start with Boots+HP x3), you will be mana hungry. Harass often, but beware. The only time I'd advise skipping Dorans x3 is if you can get a Needless. I go for Doran's x3 and will sell 1 for a Needless, and will never give up my last for the full Rabadon's.

You don't want survivability on Xerath. Why? You have no means of escape and you are far range. You can do your full combo with no one seeing you, from the jungle, with W up (it's pretty damn funny getting a double kill when they have no clue where you are). If they get to you, however.. You're likely dead. Try to stun if possible, you can live, but in all likelyness... Bye. Nice knowing you. Instead, build all the sheer raw power you can. Your full build will give you crazy amounts of damage (over 1500 damage after all 3 launches of R? AoE? Yes please.)

Blue buff is amazing; ask your jungler. So is Blue elixir, but I'd save this for late game really.

Build should look like:

Boots+3
Doransx3
Needless (selling up to 1 Doran's, or foregoing)
Rabadon's or Sorc Shoes, then the other (having at least one Doran's left)
Rylai's (the slow is amazing for landing your skill shots against skilled opponents)
Zhonya's/Anthene's/Void. Zhon for crazy AP and resistance to a fed AD carry in team fights. I said no survivability, but you still want this. Nice use too for after your combo, though I really never find myself using it due to my range. Anthene's not so much for the mana regen as just really good CDR and AP. Fiendish Codex first, not the Chalice. Void Staff just gives you so much more damage at this point, they'll all cry.

Hope this helps~
VERY helpful. But 1 question about the raw power, in my runes should I build absolute power, or add armor/cooldown reduction?

I heard your ultimate goes from 1 minute to 30 ish seconds with cooldown reduction.

Best Furry NA

11-17-2012

It can go down to 30 seconds.

For runes you can, but I honestly would go Magic Pen marks, 2 AP Quints and 1 Move Speed (I do this for all AP's; works well for dodging skill shots and giving early power), flat mana regen yellows and AP/level blues.

Axzarious

11-17-2012

Xerath pretty much ignores MR by default when you use his W and combine it with Void Staff. You can forgoe those runes and focus on raw AP. CDR is, of course, always helpful. When Xerath I typically get. It takes 20 or so CDR to get his Q on a 3 second cooldown. Not much, but it's quite awesome.

1- Boots (Sorcerers - but get Lucidity for CDR if going with AP heavy runes)
2- Arcangel's Staff
3- Rylai's
4- Rabaddons
5- Voidstaff
6- Misc slot, often taken up by Athene's

Xerath's primary weakness is Magic Damage, but he also can't take sustained physical damage due to the lack of a decent health pool, despite how crazy his armor can sometimes get.