@IronStylus: I am very disappointed in you and the art team.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Emailsúpport

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrx005 View Post
I downvoted you for being ignorant. You want to be less ignorant? Ok.

The fact that an image is created by a woman is irrelevant. It's not a "woman's idea of what a mermaid looks like", it's a synthesis of what the woman was TAUGHT to think a mermaid should look like with what the woman thinks other people EXPECT a mermaid to look like, all tweaked to be what she thinks her employer wants it to look like (frequently they will be pretty explicit about what they want, too). It's not one person's vision, it's an amalgam of social expectations and systemic values.

That's like saying that a magazine can't objectify women if it has a female editor. It's stupid.

edit: Oh, and the fact that you conflate giant breasts and cleavage with "femininity" is just so ****ing wrong I don't know where to start.
So why are low cut shirts so popular? Why is it very usual for a woman to have exposed cleavage? Bleh.

Imalia

11-17-2012

As for whether or not I think IronStylus is a lying scumbag for engaging with the community about this sensitive issue before and dismissing it in this case? I think it's way too kneejerk to slam him for singing Disney princess songs, of which the art team is overly fond of. As I said before, I kind of wish the V line didn't plunge so deeply, but I liked the concept art and felt it fit the concept. I also thought the body type was fairly petite and appropriate. What I did take issue with is that the in-game model discarded that body type and diminished the details that made the concept art interesting in lieu of the more standard Riot female champion proportion for some reason. I mean, the frills and the large jewels did a lot to accompany the plunging V line and cleavage but the model had a rather small amulet and the frills were not very detailed. In exchange, the bust size seemed larger and more prominent. This is what I really would like to protest in earnest. When IronStylus saw that concept art, he probably thought it looked neat, as do I, in all honesty. What it became in game was kind of less good, imo but still not a dealbreaker, especially if we get an interesting alt skin some point down the line.

Eydolon

11-17-2012

Parrot the Mermaid Poem was nice and all,, but still riot artist are being too secist as of late,

Emailsúpport

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eydolon View Post
Parrot the Mermaid Poem was nice and all,, but still riot artist are being too secist as of late,
no?

Fireside Poet

11-17-2012

Quote:
Oh, and the fact that you conflate giant breasts and cleavage with "femininity" is just so ****ing wrong I don't know where to start.
What? What the actual ****?

What should we associate with the feminine body type, then? How do female bodies differentiate from male bodies?

Breast size, waist size, shoulder width, and hip width are all I can think of. Hair length maybe, but that's much more diverse.

Emailsúpport

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireside Poet View Post
What? What the actual ****?

What should we associate with the feminine body type, then? How do female bodies differentiate from male bodies?

Breast size, waist size, shoulder width, and hip width are all I can think of. Hair length maybe, but that's much more diverse.
SO WOMEN CAN'T HAVE SHORT HAIR YOU FKN SEXlST PIECE OF **** IMAOASID OSDFISUFHOSDJ

Fireside Poet

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emailsúpport View Post
SO WOMEN CAN'T HAVE SHORT HAIR YOU FKN SEXlST PIECE OF **** IMAOASID OSDFISUFHOSDJ
Got me bro D;

Shingro

11-17-2012

I think Riot sacificing sale possibility to make a social point about oversexualization is ver admirable and good of them.

However I don't think this "WOMAN! COVER YOUR FEMALE-NESS IT IS SHAMEFUL" pressure is good either, breasts are not an evil thing, and to cast them that way also isn't good for feminine rights in a different way.

As a culture we really gotta seperate these two or we're going to fall into another type of supression of females, I'm just saying... be careful of what you ask for.

Zarkof

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

90% player base is male 90% males like boobs, this is just proper marketing

johnlennonpwns

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironstylus View Post

out of the sea.

Wished she could be.

Part of that roll.

..tune in next time when i explain our champion creation process akin to how the mice put together cinderella's dress.
**** yes