Nami = Mermaid Janna

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Calldadoctorboii

11-16-2012

My buddy's summoner name is 'namikami' and he's been just 'nami' in a few games prior to LoL. Gonna be super confusing for him when people start yelling at (champion) Nami in games

Eltrotraw

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryptomine View Post
(And its not okay to be similar to Disney characters, but One Piece is fine?)
How many people internationally are aware of One Piece compared to the Little Mermaid, considering the general growth and popularity of Disney vs. Anime/Manga?

Darmikau

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
So wait, people can take legal action against "Romlariel"...

but they can't Sue Nami?

Zileas

VP of Game Design

11-16-2012
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryptomine View Post
I assure you that Creative was wrong and it is your moral imperative to make them acutely aware of this fact.

(And its not okay to be similar to Disney characters, but One Piece is fine?)
Well, to be fair, we actually think Nami is a better name. But for purposes of trolling Classick, Romlariel is better. Since trolling Classick is not our primary objective with the champion, I'm OK going with Nami as the name.

TheMasterZails

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
I've been calling her 'Romlariel' internally because Romleski designed her game mechanics, but the lawyers wouldn't let us use that name because they thought it was too close to Ariel, and Creative believes Nami to be a better choice ;p I agree with them of course, but trolling Classick is part of my job.
You need to have you forum title changed to Lead troll!!

IMTOOJUICY

11-16-2012

Just call her Ursula, and see how Disney reacts.

Arance

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltrotraw View Post
How many people internationally are aware of One Piece compared to the Little Mermaid, considering the general growth and popularity of Disney vs. Anime/Manga?
Dunno, I know DIsney is more prolific but don't really care. The name Nami still bugs me on this champ for some reason. And I've never even seen One Piece or, really, much anime for the past several years, but its still popular enough for me to be aware of it.

piedol

11-16-2012

Quote:
I've been calling her 'Romlariel' internally because Romleski designed her game mechanics, but the lawyers wouldn't let us use that name because they thought it was too close to Ariel.
Then don't use Nami. That sounds far too close to 'Nami'. /inb4 three people get the reference

Sandunguioso

11-16-2012

no nami is fizz and cass child

ArcticSirius

11-16-2012

Quote:
Well, to be fair, we actually think Nami is a better name. But for purposes of trolling Classick, Romlariel is better. Since trolling Classick is not our primary objective with the champion, I'm OK going with Nami as the name.
I find Nami fitting for her, w/ Nami in Japanese meaning "Wave" :x