Want to win? Read this...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HeXiiS

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaChopsticks View Post
Ever felt like you just cant seem to win a game? Had a losing streak and just sat there wondering what went wrong? Before you look at others' playing or even your own to place blame, try this one thing:

Take a look at your mood.

"What IS he talking about?" you may ask. Well, let me tell you a bit about myself. I'm an average player. I have bad games, I miss CS here and there, I'll pull stupid plays. Lately, however, I've had a LoL epiphany. A little over a month back, I was having good games and bad games, I'd win some, I'd lose some. So I decided to start browsing the forums for ways to improve my game. A couple times I came across people who would say something along the lines of "Be nice to your team mates, dont rage, and guide them through the game like a true leader. Most of all, be positive!" I've never been one to rage in game, I don't bad mouth other people who do stupid plays, I leave all that to myself in real life at my desk where they can't hear it. However, I decided to take those people's advice to heart.

A little less than a month ago, I started not just idly going through the game, doing my own part, but I actually reached out to my team mates, guiding them around the map with pings on objectives, pointing out enemies to focus, congratulating them when we win fights and objectives, and just general leading them through the game. I try not to rage in real life, but rather keep a cool head and keep focused on the main objective: winning the game.

My results? Not counting games with friends where we screw around and just have fun, of my last 20-30 games in both normal queue and ranked, I've lost approximately a total of 3-4. You heard me right, I've had approximately an 85% win rate in my games (where I actually try). All because I was a nice guy, kept a cool head, and congratulated my team on our successes.

Two games ago, I failed epicly as Olaf top lane. I pulled stupid plays and gave their Rengar 2 kills in the first 10-15 mins. I didn't let that deter me, however, nor did I let our Blitz who was raging hard and fed the enemy team 3-4 kills deter me either. I kept my head, I focused on objectives, I pinged, I told my team who to focus and what do you know? We came out with the win.

A person doesnt need to super amazing at this game to win consistently (at least not until higher ELO levels), a person just needs to be competent in their abilities, keep a level head, be a nice person, and be the leader (or follower if someone else takes the leadership role) for the game.
i do the same thing. but sadly, in the real world, most decent players snowball very hard off the 2-3 kills they got early. for my team of level headed players its becomes very hard to do anything about. its a slow and painful death for most of my games. im always a team leader. i ping out good times to take dragon or objectives, i try and coordinate ganks on opponents who are ahead, I peel for my adc and CC their adc, buy 2-3 extra wards to place in key areas. still when the team fight starts, the gold advantage the enemy team had etched out will give them the edge needed to come out slightly ahead.

TL;DR being friendly and nice and all that warm and fuzzy stuff doesnt do jack **** when the enemy team is ahead. ur still gonna lose, unless they throw.

Lethadind

11-16-2012

I like where you started with this but I suggest you flesh the idea out more.

Simply being "in a good mood" won't help you carry. "Pointing out objectives" won't either.

There is a deeper thing that I believe you are trying to get at that you haven't quite hit yet (yeah, I know, that's what she said). Keep reaching for it, flesh this idea out and it could be a great guide. I feel a fresh idea coming from you and I'd like to read more about it - don't let it die.

For instance, you see all the negative responses you got after posting this? These people think they are implementing what you told them "and it didn't work." They aren't doing it properly. There's a difference between saying nice things over chat, and being a great player/leader. People can also feel the "I'm gonna type nice things so that the ragers don't come out" from a mile away - and they will be itching to rage because you are "trying" to prevent it in the first place. Psychology 101. What you're talking about is being genuinely interested in your teammate's welfare and success, and very few people understand how powerful that is. When you want to figure out how to dig yourself out of a hole (your Olaf game) instead of complain about how deep it is, you tend to figure out a way to dig yourself out of said hole. All it requires is 3 brain-cells and the intelligence to actually use them - but most people would rather complain about the hole and sit in it, pouting.

Anyway, yeah, again, flesh this idea out, expand on it. The reason people are giving negative feedback is they don't understand fully what you are saying - help them understand.

DashOfLoyalty

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethadind View Post
I like where you started with this but I suggest you flesh the idea out more.

Simply being "in a good mood" won't help you carry. "Pointing out objectives" won't either.

There is a deeper thing that I believe you are trying to get at that you haven't quite hit yet (yeah, I know, that's what she said). Keep reaching for it, flesh this idea out and it could be a great guide. I feel a fresh idea coming from you and I'd like to read more about it - don't let it die.

For instance, you see all the negative responses you got after posting this? These people think they are implementing what you told them "and it didn't work." They aren't doing it properly. There's a difference between saying nice things over chat, and being a great player/leader. People can also feel the "I'm gonna type nice things so that the ragers don't come out" from a mile away - and they will be itching to rage because you are "trying" to prevent it in the first place. Psychology 101. What you're talking about is being genuinely interested in your teammate's welfare and success, and very few people understand how powerful that is. When you want to figure out how to dig yourself out of a hole (your Olaf game) instead of complain about how deep it is, you tend to figure out a way to dig yourself out of said hole. All it requires is 3 brain-cells and the intelligence to actually use them - but most people would rather complain about the hole and sit in it, pouting.

Anyway, yeah, again, flesh this idea out, expand on it. The reason people are giving negative feedback is they don't understand fully what you are saying - help them understand.
Thanks for the reply, mate! I currently have your "why you lost" guide in my list of LoL guides so you are definitely one of the people on this forum I admire.

I can see what you mean by it seeming not quite there. I typed this up one night and even then felt like I was missing something, but I couldnt think what so I put it up anyways. I'll take a look and see what I can add to it.

DashOfLoyalty

11-17-2012

bump

GoGame

11-17-2012

it is good way to communicate with ur team but some times u find kids who force u to be angry and feel shame for example '' you didn't gank we 're losing becuz of u , ur f***ing noob bla bla bla '' and this way on and when u try to guide them ... '' you think ur self pro ?! '' '' just eat **** and lose .. '' and that what im facing from being nice to others i just mute my self every game to avoid getting angry

cF Tempest

11-17-2012

Great advice! I learned this around my 700th win so you can imagine how frustrating it was beforehand. Unfortunately even with all the teamwork and positive energy you won't win if you are being outplayed on individual skill mechanics.

My team and I play often and we are really good at communicating and keeping a level head but when the preseason started we kept getting paired against plat/diamond teams that were just better. I don't there's really an easy answer to strive for being among the best players.

Bowsman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

LOL and thats why ive been loseing all my games, thanks. I just plain need to get better.