@IronStylus: I am very disappointed in you and the art team.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moby the White

Senior Member

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrx005 View Post
I downvoted you for being ignorant. You want to be less ignorant? Ok.

The fact that an image is created by a woman is irrelevant. It's not a "woman's idea of what a mermaid looks like", it's a synthesis of what the woman was TAUGHT to think a mermaid should look like with what the woman thinks other people EXPECT a mermaid to look like, all tweaked to be what she thinks her employer wants it to look like (frequently they will be pretty explicit about what they want, too). It's not one person's vision, it's an amalgam of social expectations and systemic values.

That's like saying that a magazine can't objectify women if it has a female editor. It's stupid.

edit: Oh, and the fact that you conflate giant breasts and cleavage with "femininity" is just so ****ing wrong I don't know where to start.
We were taught what a mermaid looked like based upon descriptions given on eyewitness accounts. I can agree that through telephone game based shenanigans that this image changed over time. I agree 100% completely that YES her supervisors and her team have a possible direct effect on how the final image will look. I AM NOT SO ignorant to assume that society has no impact on how things look. I am not an ignorant person...you think I am because I did not offer any counter arguement to my arguement and then defend myself in my original post. Which is my own fault and for that I am sorry. The ability to objectify and oversexualize is situationally acceptable in certain aspects and standards.

Can you agree based upon the standard concept of what a mermaid looks like-INCLUDING that of even Ariel a rated G version of a mermaid-that this concept art is not all that oversexualized? Based purely on what we know and understand to be the norms of our society's portrayel of a mermaid? (Does that mean its right probably not but the question is: Is it an accurate image of what we envision as a mermaid?)

AS per Elise I believe this falls into the other end of the spectrum where it is not what we envisioned and completely oversexualized...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daemon

Senior Member

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
Thanks for that - it's exactly why I am ignoring most of the comments in this thread. They are either implying that I am gay, don't know that I'm gay, or completely ignorant.

Also, some of these comments really do bother me. I am female. I'd like it if the body types in my favorite video game were more varied and less oversexualized because it boils females down to nothing but parts.

I kind of figured as much, because you're making way too much sense and acting way too mature to be a typical male GDer.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

swils

Senior Member

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrx005 View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the typical respondent to this thread.

This is seriously the level at which they're processing what's being discussed.
I made an analogy at the same level of IQ that the argument was being presented in.

"Hey look, a half human, half fish that is far curvier than necessary to depict it as a woman! Take a look at Kogmaw, that male demon worm thingy. He's a male, but he looks nothing like a male human, so therefore you shouldn't give the mermaid boobs!"


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

parentheses

Senior Member

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Oh man, Ariel is so sexualized. I mean, those boobs are way too small for someone her age.

Attachment 558944

Nami's boob size is more appropriate for a 13-16 year old!


Sarcasm aside, if Nami had the top of Ariel, no one would be complaining. It would fit her childish nature. But it is her young voice coupled with giant boobs that is disturbing everyone.
Exactly. The boobs on her character design are sloppy. If she had demure smallish breasts, that would fit her voice acting and also her overall character design as a lithe serpentine creature of the sea.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RazorWarrior

Senior Member

11-15-2012

Riot as a self proclaimed mature youth in my early 20's I find it quite honestly unrealistic but mostly immature of you to slap a massive rack on every woman. That's something I got over obsessing about before highschool ended. Good to know you knowingly ignore a large portion of your playerbase for profit. Blizzard scum.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

evelastina

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelene View Post
All riot needs to do is release some sexy shirtless men and a few more characters with realistic body types then can everyone stop whinging?
It's a fantasy game, nothing like real life, in their world big boobs might just be a thing that everyone has. Oh and hold the phone, 'it's a synthesis of what the woman was TAUGHT to think a mermaid should look like' mermaids and mer men are typically viewed as either fish tail and human top or fish top and human bottom (less commonly lol) not really social expectations, just old wives tales. OH and guess what happens when there is something that has a FEMALE human top half? I dont know, something called BREASTS might be there, or are humans only drawn with breasts because of social expectations and systematic values?
So have you seen any mermaids around? hm? Care to re jiggger a really old mythical creature because you dont think that mermaids would have breasts?

YES they are big breasts but i would imagine that the more prominent thing complaining about women in lol would be a. the skimpy outfits (which could be put down to style in the fantasy land of league) and b. the fact that most of them are thin as all hell.

No one is going to make a game that everyone is happy with, may as well conform to what will sell more as dissapointing as that is.
im pretty sure evolution doesnt work like that, even in a fantasy world. this isn't a hentai game, you'd think they'd "evolve" to accomodate their fighting. last i checked people fought with their arms and legs, not their ****.
fizz is a fish-humanoid but you dont see him walking around with a *****
why does the female fish-hybrid need mammalian parts?
if they wanted to make an interesting champion they could have broken from the norm, too. make a mermaid that isn't like every mermaid we've seen so far.
and if you really believe your argument, why cant mermaids -not- have boobs then? who's to say "real" mermaids aren't actually monstrous and inhuman in anatomy?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Real Life Shaco

Senior Member

11-15-2012

You know, it's okay go ahead and disregard good points and keep re-validating your point. that makes arguments better right?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Animato

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-15-2012

okay, i get the point behind this rant, but i feel like there's something people are missing with nami and the recent releases of female champs. they've heard your opinions and are probably working on it. but you can't expect them to come out with something this soon. they are probably working on the model and animations. they have so much on their plate right now, that it was probably easier to use similar design/models for this set of champions while they work out season 3 stuff. they've given us a new support AND a water champ...something that has been asked for for a long time, plus a whole new set of support items, and a long range of new items for all roles, a revamped version of the twisted treeline and a changed jungle, a growing list of reworks and changed masteries. i think riot has a lot on their plates and they are doing their best to work down the pile of things they want to accomplish.
you can't expect them to drop all other projects that are/were being worked on to start from scratch on a new female model. give them time.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daemon

Senior Member

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby the White View Post
We were taught what a mermaid looked like based upon descriptions given on eyewitness accounts. I can agree that through telephone game based shenanigans that this image changed over time. I agree 100% completely that YES her supervisors and her team have a possible direct effect on how the final image will look. I AM NOT SO ignorant to assume that society has no impact on how things look. I am not an ignorant person...you think I am because I did not offer any counter arguement to my arguement and then defend myself in my original post. Which is my own fault and for that I am sorry. The ability to objectify and oversexualize is situationally acceptable in certain aspects and standards.

Can you agree based upon the standard concept of what a mermaid looks like-INCLUDING that of even Ariel a rated G version of a mermaid-that this concept art is not all that oversexualized? Based purely on what we know and understand to be the norms of our society's portrayel of a mermaid? (Does that mean its right probably not but the question is: Is it an accurate image of what we envision as a mermaid?)

AS per Elise I believe this falls into the other end of the spectrum where it is not what we envisioned and completely oversexualized...

Okay, the thing is that if Nami had a small chest, maybe even flat-chested, it wouldn't be much of a problem. It would simply look like part of her fishy design....like frills and different colored scales.

Nami--unarguably--sounds like a girl 12-16. She has the boobs of very few adult women have (either fake or the rare women with natural, DDD boobs). It is creepy. It is pointless.

Ariel, on the other hand, is a modest version of a traditional mermaid, because it is a kids movie.


However, mermaids were originally topless because they were mythological creatures, therefore what is the point of clothing? Ariel has a seashell bra to provide modesty while being mermaidy (her daughter in the sequel actually wears a tank top), Nami is outright sexualization with no purpose.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A Nearby Shrub

Senior Member

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
Thanks for that - it's exactly why I am ignoring most of the comments in this thread. They are either implying that I am gay, don't know that I'm gay, or completely ignorant.

Also, some of these comments really do bother me. I am female. I'd like it if the body types in my favorite video game were more varied and less oversexualized because it boils females down to nothing but parts.
thats like men saying, man i really hate how most if not all adult looking fully-humanoid men champions in LoL are all barrel-chested and overly muscular