@IronStylus: I am very disappointed in you and the art team.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OH NO ITS LU BU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

Elise not withstanding, Mermaids have always been depicted in a similar manner.

Moby the White

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris View Post
"a female drew this concept art"

well that just clears things right up!
its not like she wasn't paid money for this concept art, and has meticulous back-and-forth emails with the champion designers, who actually have the last word on what the artwork's end product looks like.

we should all apologize.

first its is way too early for this...I am merely stating the artist is a female and it is her portrayel*

I am not stating she has 100% final say on anything I am saying she drew it. i agree there was more than likely collaboration on this design. DO I BELIEVE that oversexualization can and does occur>? Abso-freaking-lutely! Do I agree with oversexualization? Situationally. AT ANY POINT did I argue that I agreed/disagreed with sexualization within champion design? NO. Then what did I say? That it was designed by a female artist and that if she read it she would be insulted after working hard on her design. Did I imply that the fact she is a female allows for oversexualization to be okay? YES. Did I intenionally imply that? NO.

Xarue

11-16-2012

Quote:
"a female drew this concept art"

well that just clears things right up!
its not like she wasn't paid money for this concept art, and has meticulous back-and-forth emails with the champion designers, who actually have the last word on what the artwork's end product looks like.

we should all apologize.
im pretty sure she wanted more skin, ive seen women design things for women, especially for made up characters.

Daemon

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH NO ITS LU BU View Post
Elise not withstanding, Mermaids have always been depicted in a similar manner.

I am having trouble finding a mermaid in google image search with her skin peeling apart to reveal boobs or heck, even one with as big boobs as her!

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
I SHALL EXPLAIN!

The woman who drew this only used the idea of what the design team gave her. They basically tell her how they want her to look and they approve the art that she makes and tell her what needs to be changed.

If they want boobs, she can't say "No! That is sexist and stupid!". She is being paid to draw what they want, not what she wants. That is not how concept art works. You bring to life someone else's idea, not your own. If she tries to throw in her ideas of desexualization and that isn't what the design team wants, then she'd be fired.
If she was honestly offended by a little bit of boobs(which she has herself), she could just as easily refused to do it.

She accepted the job, she knew what they expected of her, and considering the quality of her artwork, she clearly put way more effort into Nami's artwork than a person who would have any crazy feminist qualms ever would. She even put the effort into making Nami LESS sexualized than typical mermaids...even Disney's Ariel. And people still white knight over her.

Believe it or not, just as women also like drawing attractive people too.

Valkymie

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby the White View Post
No offense but just an fyi in case you didn't know this a female artist drew this concept art...So this is a women's adaptation of what a mermaid looks like.

Honestly its very well done, and I am not one to tell an artist that her mermaid skin is too femenine*
Mermaids were seductive and lured sailors to their deaths quite similar to that of a siren, but in my opinion i always thought it was due to beauty rather than song. i could be wrong it is 3:20 am and my mythological studies is not my strong point.

if I were the artist i'd be really insulted right now after reading this, have some respect she worked really hard.

woah woah woah??? DOWNVOTES? EXPLAIN!
being a woman does not exempt you from oversexualizing your characters
you can be feminine without being oversexualized, too
and lastly while i think its okay to make champions based on seductive mythical creatures sexy, the fact that they're literally trying to put every sexy mythical creature in the game is really old.

i see a lot of people posting here "defending the boobies" that are completely missing the point

LegendaryJoey

11-16-2012

Quote:
boobs =/= women.
just stop, you sound stupid.
In a video game where you only have so many tools given to show things like gender and personality then yea boobs=women no boobs=guy. From a design perspective. Im not saying anything to the amount of cleavage showing or the clothes on the design. Just that when designing a female champ you need to give them female body parts.

I think you should take up your issues with disney first. They make the little mermaid which objectifies women to little children. What money hungry greedy *******s that dont care what they teach our youth. Don't they know women should be covered.

mtrx005

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louvier View Post
i see a lot of people posting here "defending the boobies" that are completely missing the point
Virtually everyone posting in this thread arguing with the OP is missing the point. They can't help but miss the point, because they are simply too ignorant to understand what is being discussed.

I know I sound like a ***** putting it that way, but it's the truth. These people simply don't have the frame of reference to understand this issue.

Daemon

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
If she was honestly offended by a little bit of boobs(which she has herself), she could just as easily refused to do it.

She accepted the job, she knew what they expected of her, and considering the quality of her artwork, she clearly put way more effort into Nami's artwork than a person who would have any crazy moral qualms ever would.

Of course, buffing your portfolio with art for one of the biggest video game companies in the US is something hard to turn down.

I'm an artist myself and if I wasn't in college for a career that is a lot less risky than being an artist, I'd probably take the job even if I do not like the design nor do I agree with creating something so innocent and child-like with large boobs. I'd probably present a more modest version initially and then laugh my ass off if they ever said "we need more cleavage", because I'd ask "why?"...because I'd be very curious.

Evangelene

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrx005 View Post
I downvoted you for being ignorant. You want to be less ignorant? Ok.

The fact that an image is created by a woman is irrelevant. It's not a "woman's idea of what a mermaid looks like", it's a synthesis of what the woman was TAUGHT to think a mermaid should look like with what the woman thinks other people EXPECT a mermaid to look like, all tweaked to be what she thinks her employer wants it to look like. It's not one person's vision, it's an amalgam of social expectations and systemic values.

That's like saying that a magazine can't objectify women if it has a female editor. It's stupid.
All riot needs to do is release some sexy shirtless men and a few more characters with realistic body types then can everyone stop whinging?
It's a fantasy game, nothing like real life, in their world big boobs might just be a thing that everyone has. Oh and hold the phone, 'it's a synthesis of what the woman was TAUGHT to think a mermaid should look like' mermaids and mer men are typically viewed as either fish tail and human top or fish top and human bottom (less commonly lol) not really social expectations, just old wives tales. OH and guess what happens when there is something that has a FEMALE human top half? I dont know, something called BREASTS might be there, or are humans only drawn with breasts because of social expectations and systematic values?
So have you seen any mermaids around? hm? Care to re jiggger a really old mythical creature because you dont think that mermaids would have breasts?

YES they are big breasts but i would imagine that the more prominent thing complaining about women in lol would be a. the skimpy outfits (which could be put down to style in the fantasy land of league) and b. the fact that most of them are thin as all hell.

No one is going to make a game that everyone is happy with, may as well conform to what will sell more as dissapointing as that is.