@IronStylus: I am very disappointed in you and the art team.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RisottoNero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-15-2012

And the only problem with "sexy" women everywhere in the game is that is just lazy design and 99% of the time they just have uninteresting looks because focusing on **** and ass just leaves out many chances to make them shine like clothes and other aesthetics.

I only care about how cool they look. If they are cool they can be naked for all I care. And the new one is cool, at least to me. I would have expected something worse considering the usual approach everyone has with mermaids.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mtrx005

Senior Member

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhjae View Post
I'd like it if you replied to something other than those who agree with your argument.
In his defense, everybody who has posted disagreeing with him doesn't actually understand what's being discussed. All these posts amount to "objectification doesn't matter", "objectification doesn't exist", etc.

It's not OP's job to teach all of GD about psychology and sociology, nor would it be effective if he tried. If these cretins actually cared about understanding the world around them they would already be familiar with the reams of data demonstrating that hypersexualized portrayals of women are bad for not just women, but pretty much everyone in society.

But they don't care about understanding things, and they don't care about being sensitive to other people's concerns. Given those facts, I'm not sure why OP should bother engaging with them at all. Can you think of a reason?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moby the White

Senior Member

11-15-2012

No offense but just an fyi in case you didn't know this a female artist drew this concept art...So this is a women's adaptation of what a mermaid looks like.

Honestly its very well done, and I am not one to tell an artist that her mermaid skin is too femenine*
Mermaids were seductive and lured sailors to their deaths quite similar to that of a siren, but in my opinion i always thought it was due to beauty rather than song. i could be wrong it is 3:20 am and my mythological studies is not my strong point.

if I were the artist i'd be really insulted right now after reading this, have some respect she worked really hard.

woah woah woah??? DOWNVOTES? EXPLAIN!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Paris

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryJoey View Post
I don't look at her and see boobs until you point it out... SHE is a she, and with a mermaid the only thing to make it look like a girl is to give her boobs. They aren't massive and they only reason in my eyes they are showing "alot of cleavage" is because as an underwater support it doesn't make sense to armor her.

I say you should grow up and get comfortable with the fact that girls have boobs.
boobs =/= women.
just stop, you sound stupid.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Evangelene

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-15-2012

I agree that riot oversexualizes females but i mean they are MADE UP characters! My main issue is that most of the female champs show soo much skin in their skins but there is so much potential for an awesome non overly sexualised female skin!
When you think about the standards that are set for women by magazines the characters in lol are pretty good!
Plus i design characters as a hobby and its a lot more fun to draw chicks with more prominent features than planks! ;p


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mtrx005

Senior Member

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelene View Post
When you think about the standards that are set for women by magazines the characters in lol are pretty good!
"When you think about having your fingernails pulled out with pliers, being waterboarded sounds pretty good."

Does that demonstrate that waterboarding people is ok? No?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Paris

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby the White View Post
No offense but just an fyi in case you didn't know this a female artist drew this concept art...So this is a women's adaptation of what a mermaid looks like.

Honestly its very well done, and I am not one to tell an artist that her mermaid skin is too femenine*
Mermaids were seductive and lured sailors to their deaths quite similar to that of a siren, but in my opinion i always thought it was due to beauty rather than song. i could be wrong it is 3:20 am and my mythological studies is not my strong point.

if I were the artist i'd be really insulted right now after reading this, have some respect she worked really hard.
"a female drew this concept art"

well that just clears things right up!
its not like she wasn't paid money for this concept art, and has meticulous back-and-forth emails with the champion designers, who actually have the last word on what the artwork's end product looks like.

we should all apologize.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moby the White

Senior Member

11-15-2012

i just got downvoted for defending the artist...weird :S


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mtrx005

Senior Member

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby the White View Post
woah woah woah??? DOWNVOTES? EXPLAIN!
I downvoted you for being ignorant. You want to be less ignorant? Ok.

The fact that an image is created by a woman is irrelevant. It's not a "woman's idea of what a mermaid looks like", it's a synthesis of what the woman was TAUGHT to think a mermaid should look like with what the woman thinks other people EXPECT a mermaid to look like, all tweaked to be what she thinks her employer wants it to look like (frequently they will be pretty explicit about what they want, too). It's not one person's vision, it's an amalgam of social expectations and systemic values.

That's like saying that a magazine can't objectify women if it has a female editor. It's stupid.

edit: Oh, and the fact that you conflate giant breasts and cleavage with "femininity" is just so ****ing wrong I don't know where to start.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daemon

Senior Member

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby the White View Post
No offense but just an fyi in case you didn't know this a female artist drew this concept art...So this is a women's adaptation of what a mermaid looks like.

Honestly its very well done, and I am not one to tell an artist that her mermaid skin is too femenine*
Mermaids were seductive and lured sailors to their deaths quite similar to that of a siren, but in my opinion i always thought it was due to beauty rather than song. i could be wrong it is 3:20 am and my mythological studies is not my strong point.

if I were the artist i'd be really insulted right now after reading this, have some respect she worked really hard.

woah woah woah??? DOWNVOTES? EXPLAIN!

I SHALL EXPLAIN!


The woman who drew this only used the idea of what the design team gave her. They basically tell her how they want her to look and they approve the art that she makes and tell her what needs to be changed.

If they want boobs, she can't say "No! That is sexist and stupid!". She is being paid to draw what they want, not what she wants. That is not how concept art works. You bring to life someone else's idea, not your own. If she tries to throw in her ideas of desexualization and that isn't what the design team wants, then she'd be fired.


If you watch the splash art spotlights, you'll often see tons of pose thumbnails and tons of changes (Fiora is a good one). Those changes are what Riot tells the artists to do.