Item Shop and Game HUD Updates

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NebulaRed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

Very nice Riot, another great job with your visual reworks - the item shop looks great too!

Darque Lilly

11-15-2012

Riot, I want to say I’m very excited about the new Item Shop, HUD, and Nidalee Update. Starting with the Item Shop, I think that category filters are amazing simply because when most players play, speed selecting items are important. Staying in a shop too long could potentially risk a tower, gank, or jungle steal for the other opponents. As a suggestion, I think you should add a category for “Unique Active” items (the items that have special abilities once clicked). I have played league for a very long time, and I don’t think I have discovered all the unique passive items yet.

With the HUD, the new game score display is great. I like looking at my CS when ADC, Mid, and Top lane. I like looking at my assist when supporting as well. The skill indicators are better because I had problems actually seeing the numbers located on the skill. I understand the need for the change but keep in mind as well; many players like me will scale the HUD for more screen coverage. This is a great update all in all, no major problems so far.

Last but not lease, Nids update is very much needed! I play her a lot and for those who don’t play her, you’re missing out! As a suggestion riot, you should enable players to be able to buy Nid Christmas skin and also make a legendary skin for her. Nid needs this publicity for more players to buy her since she is rarely featured on free week as well as karma. I love nid players because I understand how over powering she when played professionally.

One more added note, PLEASE ENABLE EVERY CHAMPION LEGENDARY AND SPECIAL EVENT SKIN PURCHASES FOR CHRISMAS HOLIDAY.

DrAsawa15

Recruiter

11-15-2012

It's sleek, It's polished, It's out of place.
In my opinion, the new HUD looks wrong. The new look just doesn't feel like the art style of LOL.

Not saying the changes are bad, though. Tons of new items and item rebalancing is good. The new item shop searching sounds promising. However, the look is just...off.

NazGee

11-15-2012

Looks fantastic.

boourns

UI Designer

11-15-2012
45 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestrinast View Post
1) Why are there no linebreaks in the statistics, as displayed by the Zeal?
2) Why is the filter so wide? Is this and/or the size of the shop UI itself going to encourage superfluous use of scrollbars?
3) Why was it decided to not have Consumeables visible at all times as a separate element on the side/above?
4) Specialized keyboard shortcuts that only work in-shop, such as pressing "C" instantly opens up to Consumeables? A hotkey to instantly clear all the filters? 'Tab' to jump onto the Search Bar?
5) If no "start typing in search bar" hotkey, will the Search Bar automatically be selected for typing upon entering the Shop UI?
6) Will this show 'UNAVAILABLE' items from other game-modes?
7) The "Builds:" section has scrolling arrows, and looks like it can only handle 7 visible at a time. This is superior to the old setup in every way, but has a more advanced "seeking between items" setup been considered?
8) Continuing from #7, can we have a filter/search term that will display all the basic items, so that players who know every ingredient can seek to every item from one screen and "Builds:"?
9) Was pushing the "Recommended Items" onto a button that requires a new player to actually read and then click a good decision? The old recommended items threw themselves into a noob's face with bright colors in an easily-understandable order. Will there be sufficient prompting to aid new players in their item decisions?
We're exploring some ways to make consumables more accessible that may make it into the initial release, no promises though.

One of our goals with recommended items was to teach players about the itemization decisions they should be make to become better players. We hope the new recommended items does a good job of that and breaks newer players out of the mindset of just having one standard build. Our user testing suggests that even very new players find the new recommended items more useful.

WateryMind

11-15-2012

My question is:

If I type in Dunkmaster into the search function, will the shop bring up a build of Move Really Fast Boots and 5 Double Swords?

DeNicholas

11-15-2012

You guys are copying DOTA/DOTA2/ SMITE why don't you keep the nice clean HUD and GUI you have already trying to copy other games will only get you laughed at its kinda sad.... i like this HUD and GUI and you're just ruining it with all these new champs no thought gone into them i mean zed? wtf kinda name is that... these champs are being rushed no unqiue names like Teemo Xin zhao or even mundo, this is just turning the game into a copy you have a good thing going please don't ruin it by copying other games.

Sherrif

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Reinboom View Post
The new item shop uses no code that was exclusive to the old item shop.

I'll make a note of this, definitely.
Don't forget "clothing" "red sodas" "x-men claws" "rad scythe" "wiggle's" "move really fast boots"

But seriously though typing in a color should bring up items that have that color to them.

Overmind Slab

11-15-2012

I think the last shop was very unfriendly to new players. I remember when I started and began going through the shop I was thinking, "dang, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing here." Or "I want more X, what is the best way to do that." I'm over than now of course but I would have liked to have had this when I started.

mambawarrior0

11-15-2012

Love it.
P.S. While there is already a way to change recommended items, it's obvious from the replies to this thread that it is definitely not common knowledge. Are you guys planning to make it less obscure/more user friendly? Perhaps even adding it directly to the pvp.net client?