Jungling 101 From a Gold Jungler

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Omni VII

11-14-2012

I haven't been dying a lot. I have been farming well. Haven't been going through the enemies' bases a lot but I did a couple of times. Got buffs ever now and then. After the match I found out I had no masteries in my mastery pages. I was surprised I did good without masteries and got 7 kills. I can't tell if I have been ganking a lot or fairly well but I sure did help the team.

Lightning44

11-14-2012

For the upcoming jungle changes/remake, do you think that GP10 oriented tanky "support" junglers such as Hecarim, Dr. Mundo, Shyvana, Amumu and Malphite will still be as viable compared to carry/higher sustain junglers like Diana, Warwick, Gangplank, Xin Zhao, Jax, etc?

Samurai Dan

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubz91 View Post
Shaco is a tough champion to decide on. I love him because he provides a map wide prescence all game, but if the game drags on he becomes a potato.

Shaco is all about 1v1 and assassinating enemy champions. I find that once the game progresses to team fights he is quite useless. The solution is to get so far ahead its not relevant. The only way to do this is gank early and often, and get kills.

If that doesnt happen, I don't see him as a viable pick past 30 - 35 minutes.
This is the problem. Unless I am stacked come the 35 minute mark he just starts losing usefulness. Even when stacked the more the game drags on the more he loses effectiveness.

I have had some success building him a little tanky going into late game. Does this seem viable?

Who might you suggest for jungle with a similar play style? I gank frequently and hard, I counter jungle, and I really like Shaco for the mobility and surprise burst damage.

I don't need someone who is easy to learn. I am familiar with the jungle and feel most comfortable filling this role. What I want is someone with a massive carry potential, with a play style that fits what I described above.

TNP Kubz

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni VII View Post
I haven't been dying a lot. I have been farming well. Haven't been going through the enemies' bases a lot but I did a couple of times. Got buffs ever now and then. After the match I found out I had no masteries in my mastery pages. I was surprised I did good without masteries and got 7 kills. I can't tell if I have been ganking a lot or fairly well but I sure did help the team.
If you're underlevelled, its either because you're spending too much time waiting to gank and not farming, or you're dead too much.

TNP Kubz

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning44 View Post
For the upcoming jungle changes/remake, do you think that GP10 oriented tanky "support" junglers such as Hecarim, Dr. Mundo, Shyvana, Amumu and Malphite will still be as viable compared to carry/higher sustain junglers like Diana, Warwick, Gangplank, Xin Zhao, Jax, etc?
I think that they're still viable. Shyvana still has the same clear time in the new jungle. Despite losing the Heart of Gold Item, the fact they're tanky will help them sustain and still be useful. Tanky junglers will always be necessary to help provide a front line for certain team comps. I just think they won't be as effective as before early game. Come mid to late game, they'll still be the champions we know today, maybe even stronger

TNP Kubz

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Dan View Post
This is the problem. Unless I am stacked come the 35 minute mark he just starts losing usefulness. Even when stacked the more the game drags on the more he loses effectiveness.

I have had some success building him a little tanky going into late game. Does this seem viable?

Who might you suggest for jungle with a similar play style? I gank frequently and hard, I counter jungle, and I really like Shaco for the mobility and surprise burst damage.

I don't need someone who is easy to learn. I am familiar with the jungle and feel most comfortable filling this role. What I want is someone with a massive carry potential, with a play style that fits what I described above.

Shaco just isn't viable right now because of his scaling. If you don't snowball, you're worthless as Shaco. Building tanky as shaco is a waste because he is an assassain champion and is made for 1v1 and sneaking up on enemies, not long engagements or a front line.

A similar style, I'd say Shyvana. She clears the jungle quickly, can gank often and is a great counter jungler. Mundo is another option.

I'd also say maybe an Udyr, although he's not as strong right now.

Amatzikahni

11-18-2012

For Samurai Dan, I would suggest Lee since he's similar to Shaco and doesn't have as much of a scaling problem. His mobility is amazing, too. I don't have Rengar (or many of the newer champs) but he might also be worth noting assuming he's not completely UP right now.

Easy tank junglers are Amumu and Cho'Gath. Their ganks are slightly harder because of the charge time on their skillshots (have to lead and predict), but by lategame they're basically just meatshields with some utility and amazing CC potential. I would also throw Rammus in there, but his playstyle requires a better team than Mumu/Cho since you need to taunt properly and your teammate(s) need to engage/back off properly for each gank. The timing is less forgiving with Ram.

Kubz, my guess is that Udyr will be a permanent Tiger jungler in S3 (Phoenix will just be bad). Tiger is also known as a better ganker than Phoenix, so he should see lots more play. What would you think?

TNP Kubz

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatzikahni View Post
For Samurai Dan, I would suggest Lee since he's similar to Shaco and doesn't have as much of a scaling problem. His mobility is amazing, too. I don't have Rengar (or many of the newer champs) but he might also be worth noting assuming he's not completely UP right now.

Easy tank junglers are Amumu and Cho'Gath. Their ganks are slightly harder because of the charge time on their skillshots (have to lead and predict), but by lategame they're basically just meatshields with some utility and amazing CC potential. I would also throw Rammus in there, but his playstyle requires a better team than Mumu/Cho since you need to taunt properly and your teammate(s) need to engage/back off properly for each gank. The timing is less forgiving with Ram.

Kubz, my guess is that Udyr will be a permanent Tiger jungler in S3 (Phoenix will just be bad). Tiger is also known as a better ganker than Phoenix, so he should see lots more play. What would you think?

I agree with what you've said for the most part. Lee Sin is eh in my books, I don't like or hate him. He's just boring to play and its easy to not die to him.

Rengar is a great choice and with the new jungler he'll be even better.

eveyrthing else was spot on as well. Great input.

doombotMECHA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

question about irelia:
can 1 AA+q kill 1 small minion in the new jungle?
if so, she might have a reason to get blue buff

TNP Kubz

11-18-2012

irelia jungle is something i was thinking of trying in season 3..guess we'll find out