Does art contribute anything to modern day society?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

c4lm

11-15-2012

Please give examples

Fujiou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

Does modern day society contribute anything to art?

More important question ^

silentpartner

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

it contributes stuff, nothing that couldn't be done better by someone else, but you know, can't ask too much of artists.

c4lm

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiou View Post
Does modern day society contribute anything to art?

More important question ^
Hopefully not. If we could somehow convert 90% of arts majors into science majors the world would be a better place.

We'd leave the 10% of art majors so that someone can occupy the lower class and do manual labour.

Fujiou

11-15-2012

Art makes people happy.

Science does not.

Also for the sake of this discussion, do you consider literature to be art?

c4lm

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiou View Post
Art makes people happy.

Science does not.
Yah, my high quality of life and convenient modern society really bum me out. Good thing I have this painting of a sunset to brighten my mood.

MadSeer

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campir View Post
Hopefully not. If we could somehow convert 90% of arts majors into science majors the world would be a better place.

We'd leave the 10% of art majors so that someone can occupy the lower class and do manual labour.
Such a place wouldn't exist. There's a reason you find books and novels covering every subject ever thought of, that you have video games, that you have movies, that you have music, that you have museums. Culture is a human need. Why ? Probably to distract us from the thought that life is actually meaningless, considering you just die at some point. Science with no art is pointless, without art you have no culture, without culture you have no purpose. No one would actually care about life, therefor no one would even bother to get a science major, no one would bother to teach it, no one would bother to actually make anything out of it.

Difference between humanity and animals is culture. Animals survive, humans live. Without that sense for art we would only be doing what's necessary to survive and make it to the next day. You can't question milions of years of human behavior. There's a natural order to things and art is part of ours.

c4lm

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSeer View Post
Such a place wouldn't exist.
You're probably right. We'd need to leave around 20% of arts majors in order to staff McDonalds.

MadSeer

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campir View Post
You're probably right. We'd need to leave around 20% of arts majors in order to staff McDonalds.
There wouldn't be any McDonalds...I mean who would've designed that M ? It'd be a very sad place.

Reconsul

11-15-2012

How would we import goods without dances?