@ RIOT why do champion reworks take longer than making a new champ?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

violetsandpiper

11-14-2012

Since this "scary trade secret type policy" was mentioned I am kind of interested in whatever a polycount is. Google just gives me organizations. What is this polycount and why is it so sensitive to discuss? Answers preferred from Grumpy Monkey of course but if anyone knows I would appreciate the info since he may never look back into the thread.

LVIXI

11-14-2012

Grumpy monkey isn't your icon from the bunny girl riven splash?

Fusrodahn

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
It's still a mystery!
I will crack this mystery some day, Grumpy Monkey! Just you wait!
On an unrelated note, do you ever have time for a game? Would love to be able to play one with you some day! I love your artwork and you're def one of my fave Rioters

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

11-14-2012
14 of 18 Riot Posts

violetsandpiper:
Sorry if I used too much technical jargon. Polycount is simply the number of polygons (specifically triangles) used when making the 3d model. the higher the polycount, the more detailed the model, but it also takes more processing power from your computer.

Insanity Cow

11-14-2012

i dont see much mention of blender

is it inferior to the others? D: because i don't really have a way to get the expenshiv ones

ExaltedVanguard

11-14-2012

How do you feel about Shyvana's graphical state? I feel that her dragon form in particular looks a little bland.

PS: Whiteout Shyvana has over 2k votes. riotpls

SEvicted

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Riem View Post
If grumpy is still checking this thread, polycount of newer characters?
Would really be interested to know.

I can't give you the LoL polycount, but if you'd like an estimate, I'd say the in-game low poly models around probably around 4000-5000 tris. I'm basing this off of Antimage (Dota 2), who is 5056 polys without his weapons, so this is just a guess that only holds water assuming that LoL and Dota 2 have similar poly limits on the champs/heros.

violetsandpiper

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
violetsandpiper:
Sorry if I used too much technical jargon. Polycount is simply the number of polygons (specifically triangles) used when making the 3d model. the higher the polycount, the more detailed the model, but it also takes more processing power from your computer.
Ah, I see. Thank you.

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

11-14-2012
15 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity Cow View Post

is it inferior to the others? D: because i don't really have a way to get the expenshiv ones
Blender is a fine program, and a great way to get into 3d, but it just so happens that many game studios have tailored their pipelines to accommodate max or maya. I know both max and maya have very powerful scripting tools that allow game studios to customize the software and integrate their own proprietary tools.
At the end of the day, they are just tools. I see artists all the time that make amazing things in blender. The art fundamentals and principles are universal, and once you have a grasp on them you can use any tool to express yourself.

SEvicted

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity Cow View Post

Maya, Max, and Mudbox are all free to students on the Autodesk site.