@ RIOT why do champion reworks take longer than making a new champ?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BuilderBob93

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Yes I think this has been addressed in other threads, we are working on making the scale of champs more consistent with who they are. A lot of the older champs are very small. I do think TF seemed big simply because his old model was so tiny. If you look at him now he is around the same size as Graves for example.

As for all the other rework questions like Olaf and Warwick visual upgrades, I will say... probably.
Do you see champion size power creep as a potential problem?

MCXL

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Morde needs to be bigger.

Like, huge.

PastrySandwich

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Quote:
Yes I think this has been addressed in other threads, we are working on making the scale of champs more consistent with who they are. A lot of the older champs are very small. I do think TF seemed big simply because his old model was so tiny. If you look at him now he is around the same size as Graves for example.
Really? I can't speak to the TF Graves but I know that TF is now the realitive size of a tower and raka is King Kong in the bot lane.

exe3

11-14-2012

Quote:
Yes [Karma] will have a visual upgrade.
May I ask why? Unless the gameplay reworks require significantly new graphics her model and animations and everything are perfectly fine imo.

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

11-14-2012
12 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Oh disgruntled monkey, what is your opinion on Sion's current model? Not if it's going to be reworked, but what it looks like right now. In your PERSONAL opinion.
I think it needs some art love.
Quote:
Roughly how many reworks will we be seeing in season three?
As many as needed I hope.
Quote:
Grumpy Monkey!
It's been forever [at least from what I know] since anything was mentioned about your icon. Any news on this mysterious fellow you'd like to share? like....soon? xD
It's still a mystery!
Quote:
I understand this and think the artreworks are fantastic but, Twitch and Eve both got game play reworks, so is anything being done about there in-game models and splash arts?
As far as I know, twitch and eve's gameplay rework was a huge priority for the design team. The visual rework for those is something we are still looking at.
Quote:
what do you use for inspiration when you draw/create ? is it mostly your imagination? do your dreams effect your work? do you dream of a champion before you make it?

also, what culture do you think has alot of "cool art " as in cool dragons or monsters, not talking about birds and trees
I love cartoons and comic books, and other games of course. Sometimes champ ideas come from known archetypes, like the archer, the warrior, the mage etc, but I not just me, but the entire art team get inspiration from almost anywhere and anything. It's all how we internalize it that makes it unique. As far as culture stuff, I am a huge fan of native american myths and culture as well as pacific islander and Asian designs.There are design jewels to be found in every culture though.
Quote:
Mord needs a rework. Badly. Where is he in the line? I'd like the 8 feet tall in his lore to be more accurate.
Brand right now is the tallest character in the game. I'd like Morde to be pretty imposing as well, at least as tall as Hecarim.

Quote:
Can we get information about the 3d pipeline?
like, do you make a base mesh first in any 3d program, and then export it to Zbrush to sculpt it?, or is everything modeled and sculped in Zbrush, and then exporeted to other programs to re topo it to an actual game model?

I'm really curious about it, because i had seen both type of modeling and don't know which is more efficient for Videogames

The same, why there are not 3d art spotlights with some sculpting or texturing?, the 3d artists deserve the same love as the splash artists.
Great Question. We here at Riot games use Max or maya. I myself usually start out in zbrush and sculpt away, then retopologize for a lower poly in game model, then bake the Ambient occlusion from the high to the low to get a good base for the color texture. I would love to do some 3d art spotlights. That is a great idea and we should do it.

MrDominooo

11-14-2012

Quote:
Great Question. We here at Riot games use Max or maya. I myself usually start out in zbrush and sculpt away, then retopologize for a lower poly in game model, then bake the Ambient occlusion from the high to the low to get a good base for the color texture. I would love to do some 3d art spotlights. That is a great idea and we should do it.
As someone who's trying to get into 3D, I would love love love this.

TheWafflehammer

11-14-2012

Can we get a spiderman hecarim skin already? Seriously man...

Private Riem

11-14-2012

If grumpy is still checking this thread, polycount of newer characters?
Would really be interested to know.

TheEnygma

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnygma View Post
alright then part 2: how "upcoming" are we talking?
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/v...stial-huntress

well then...answers that question doesn't it?

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

11-14-2012
13 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
well then...answers that question doesn't it?
There it is!
Quote:
If grumpy is still checking this thread, polycount of newer characters?
Would really be interested to know.
I think this might be a sensitive issue with scary trade secret type policy . I can tell you they are fairly low polycount, but i can't give you a hard number.
how about more than 1000 less than 10k