Why do we not have a champ where they release their full potential on ult

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Antarctica

11-14-2012

just popped in haven't read, but does Nasus count?

Barlowe

11-14-2012

Oro from Street Fighter. On activating his ult, he uses his second arm.

fevercry

11-14-2012

I think the best way to look at this would be something like Xerath - in his ult form he gains his ult, but he has the range of locus without having to be in locus, his Q gains twice the width, his E is now an AOE pulse in the locus range, and his locus is now an ability to let him flash to target location in like...ult range

Beas7ie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

You screwed up with Kenpachi. His ultimate would not be removing his eyepatch. That's only the beginning. His ultimate move is actually using proper technique.

TheSoulPunisher

11-14-2012

I always dreamed of a champion that releases their full power. Riven is an example, however to put it simply, she just reforms her broken sword and then magically gains a wind slash.

So my thought was the champion is gonna be weak levels 1-5. Then, once he (I'd rather have a male...currently, there's no male human that releases his full power. Yi doesn't really count) gets his ult, he can "break his chains" temporarily and gain new abilities momentarily, along with a "Final Ultimate" that depends on how much rage he builds up during his ult duration. Once he expends the Final Ultimate or outlasts the duration, he transforms back to his normal self. So it's kinda like a temporary transformation of Jayce/Nidalee/Elise, with no switch between melee/ranged. Then at levels 11 and 16, his transformation is even more powerful. (Think of PFE)

Although, that does sort of sound like Dragon Ball Z. (Ex. Saiyan turns Super Saiyan X, then uses most powerful move).

EDIT: For his normal form, he has more supportish abilities. While in his Final Form, he has more "caster" abilities.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

11-14-2012
9 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stexe View Post
The problem about someone who goes from underpowered to overpowered when they use their ultimate is multi-fold.

Before the Champion gets their ultimate they are subpar and will most likely lose their lane. Sure, just play defensive and bunker down until you get it -- that's fine.
I think Shyvanna balances this well because as her abilities get stronger, they mostly get stronger because they become multi target (W leaving fire being the exception). Yes, there are stat boosts, but this type of enhancement isn't game breaking.

I think one of the challenges is having the FEEL of that unleashing without the UP start and OP ult. We're talking about filling and selling different character fantasies to players.

Claw of Time

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beas7ie View Post
You screwed up with Kenpachi. His ultimate would not be removing his eyepatch. That's only the beginning. His ultimate move is actually using proper technique.
That would make him op

no eyepatch 1 hand or gtfo

AbyssionKnight

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
I was also thinking about a character that might have some physical locks on them, maybe part of their body is bound, and the binding could be damaged by getting attacked or something (sort of like Shyvanna fury, but on damage not on doing damage) + over time ticking.
Reminds me of Zuika from Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon.

I approve.

Slide

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Where I think these 2 might fall short on 1 version of this fantasy is that it doesn't feel like they're enhancing their other abilities. There are plenty of champions that get stronger with their ult for a buff time (Master Yi, Alistar, Olaf, etc) but they either lack the transforming aspect, or the aren't making all their other powers stronger. Riven and Shyvanna seem to fulfill this part. Shyvanna is already filling another fantasy of being a dragon (half dragon, I know... I want arms AND wings as much as the next dragon lover), but there are other versions of this fantasy that are still out there.

When I saw "releasing full potential" I thought 2 things. Transformation. More powerful.

Seems we have plenty of those. I recognize both references hes making and nothing about them sccream "each of my abilities is now a more powerful/better version of what it used to be". Hell one of those references doesnt even HAVE abilities.

So, that being said, I think, in the context of what the OP described (especially in the examples given) that we have plenty of those champions.

I would be totally ok with more though. Its an awesome effect (you clearly agree) and there is always room for more awesome!

Fang0r

11-14-2012

I feel like a good example would be Sonic the Hedgehog's "Super Sonic" form...

I mean.. let's take Rammus the Armordillo... and turn him into SUPER RAMMUS (bigger, badder, and spikier)

He still has the earthquakes but..

Powerball now gives more movement speed, does more damage, and does NOT stop at collision.
Defensive ball curl's stats and damage goes up with awesome effects
Puncturing taunt is a passive AoE that causes mass destruction!!

maybe not that last one..