@ RIOT why do champion reworks take longer than making a new champ?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XReyoX

11-04-2012

@IronStylus

You should also add that reworks are more difficult because they have to be superior to previous models in EVERY SINGLE ASPECT because people will compare. For new champions, people don't have anything to compare with in that regard, and leave designers with a lot more leeway.

Ira et Tolio

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Well, I'm a complete 3D bafoon so I'll only be able to say that I have no idea about limits. All I know is that, yes, polys started to rise at some point.. but.. uh.. yeah. Grumpy Monkey may be able to field this question. Also, our Lead Character artist should be getting on here pretty soon to answer such questions. He's in the processes of redification.

As for programs, we use the standards like Zbrush, Maya and Mudbox. We recently do a lot of high-rez sculpts that are later turned into the low-rez model.
So....what can you tell us about the Karma rework?

mr underhilI

11-04-2012

thanks for the replay, learned alot.

Rikukun

11-04-2012

I think the OP meant reworking in game abilities, which I assume you know nothing to little about Ironstylus, though if you do please share! =D or get another rioter to.

Adiwik

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Well, I'm a complete 3D bafoon so I'll only be able to say that I have no idea about limits. All I know is that, yes, polys started to rise at some point.. but.. uh.. yeah. Grumpy Monkey may be able to field this question. Also, our Lead Character artist should be getting on here pretty soon to answer such questions. He's in the processes of redification.

As for programs, we use the standards like Zbrush, Maya and Mudbox. We recently do a lot of high-rez sculpts that are later turned into the low-rez model.

thats what i am currently working on!!! in school, mudbox and all that jaz, though id love to do UV.s more, MAKE THEM LIVE !!!

Cyrilion

11-05-2012

Whats supposed to happen is they change the champ so that its viable, and fun (hopefully in the way it was fun before) unfortunately thats not always possible.
Like with Evelynn where they kept parts of her ravage there, replaced the magic/armor pen for an attack speed steroid, now two attacks, watchout for that stun.
Her hatespike that although better for laning and damage no longer applies on-hit affects such as madreds, nor does it detect invisib;e champs as viable targets when it should.
Gave us her speed buff and passive to replace the funner huge invis that made evelynn so much fun to play regardless of viability.
And they shopped out the heal from kills, assists, or being close to the person who died for an AoE nuke that just like her invis is too OP to let her keep, but instead they slapped it on, kept her increadibly weak in all other regards.
no true invis(she just impairs other peoples vision slightly) yet still treated as a true invis champ (invis champs get to be weaker in every regard because they have invis, the counter to invis is the eye, the eye doesn't work on evelynn because her invis runs out before it will see her, clearly her invis is superior and too stronk, better make her squishier to compensate).

BEWARE THE REWORK it could happen to any champion, ANY of them, you love teemo? well his mushrooms are volatile to fun, we'll replace poison darts with the same thing but double damage and it only affects minions so that we can compensate for your invis which now works like Eves, but you still can't move, your mushrooms aren't invisible anymore and have a casting time of 5 seconds. There, teemo is now fixed, but we'll be tinkering with that MS steroid, i think you need an AS steroid instead.

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

11-14-2012
8 of 18 Riot Posts

I would be happy to answer 3d/texture related questions you guys may have.

TheEnygma

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Sure, here's one: who you working on now?

Prince Kassad

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Should we expect Karma to get a visual rework with her new mechanics? I know she is unpopular so I am thinking that maybe you guys wanted to revamp her entirely? However I think she already looks pretty damn good in-game (although I don't particularly like her splash are, tbh, but I know that's not your field).

Garen Mechanics

11-14-2012

How big of a challenge was it to allow reconnected players to play without seeing pretend cannon minions firing at them from accross the map? How did you do it? was it even a texture/3d graphics issue?