How do you counter health stackers?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LionsCandy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

What I mean by this is champions who, essentially, just stack health and win.

Examples of this are:
Volibear
Garen
Olaf
Amumu
Malphite
Renekton
Trundle

And I'm sure you can think of more.

Here's some suggestions and input I'm sure i'll be getting:

Kite them - This sounds good, but with Flash, they can close the gap (and many have a gap closer anyways), and there's almost no way to deal enough damage to whittle them down fast enough anyways, and my problem is when they travel in tight packs of 5. Even after you deal with 1, the other 4 sweep in and ruin the team, generally for an Ace.

Ignore them - This might've worked in the days of Alistar, but this is a new era. Many champions are gaining damage gains just based on health (Volibear/Sejuani), and have alot of presence. Too much to ignore, in fact. This becomes increasingly more difficult when their team is just stacking health.

Health Percent Damage - This one, I agree with the most, but oftentimes, it just doesn't do enough work. Unless you're fed (which is not the situation i'm talking about. I'm talking pound for pound), these things just don't do enough. To make sure we're on the same page, I'm talking about items like Madred's Bloodrazor, or Kog'maw's ability that lets him do damage based on a percentage of the champion's health. While this may work for one health-stacking hero, against a team of them (and i've been running into teams of them alot lately), it doesn't do much but make sure you're focused first.

Any suggestions?

CerealBoxOfDoom

11-14-2012

you destroy their towers and trolololl all the way to another objective cuz they can't really hurt you all that much

Orleos

11-14-2012

It mostly comes down to composition at that point.

The champs listed can be too much of a hassle if ignored, but if you focus them, the rest of the team will dismantle you.

Mostly at that point, in my opinion, it comes down to positioning, your tanks and bruisers ability to peel from your carries, and your carries taking out theirs before they take yours out.

Buying survivability as a carry helps as well, because despite some not having stellar damage, you're so squishy that they can still kill you. Survivability > Glass Cannon imo.

Nea De Penserhir

11-14-2012

Put a frozen mallet on your front line. Have some hard / respositioning CC available.

Combine two high burst AoE abilities to dismantle the backline and take them out of the fight.

There's a lot of ways to deal with high HP teams.

DarksideEric

11-14-2012

As Teemo, if I come across a champion or team comps that have multiple health stacking champions, I alter my normal build to be the following:

Malady (to decrease MR)
Madred's (for the health damage)
Black Cleaver (to decrease Armor)

These three in combination allow me to do more damage for each hit, and since my attack speed is nearly maxed out, I get to the max debuff from these items quickly.

Then, if multiple champions are stacking health, I may throw in (though rare) a Tiamat and/or Ionic Spark so that I am doing damage to as many people at once as I can.

lol, not sure why I get downvoted...

JohntheMage

11-14-2012

Mundo with Mercs, 3 Warmogs, FoN, and Sunfire <-- very mean.

How to counter: Ignite. Kite. Better yet, don't let him get enough farm/kills to buy his items.

In general, you want to find a way to get past health stackers and destroy their squishies since they usually don't do as much damage, and make sure to save an ignite for healers like Voli and Mundo.

Vuther

11-14-2012

The same you do to other durable champions - the carry gets BT + IE + PD + LW and melts them just the same with kiting and peeling aid.

Actually, the carry won't need LW to melt them since the poor idiots apparently didn't buy any armour.

SinDur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Vayne.

Invictrix

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarksideEric View Post
As Teemo, if I come across a champion or team comps that have multiple health stacking champions, I alter my normal build to be the following:

Malady (to decrease MR)
Madred's (for the health damage)
Black Cleaver (to decrease Armor)

These three in combination allow me to do more damage for each hit, and since my attack speed is nearly maxed out, I get to the max debuff from these items quickly.

Then, if multiple champions are stacking health, I may throw in (though rare) a Tiamat and/or Ionic Spark so that I am doing damage to as many people at once as I can.

lol, not sure why I get downvoted...
Because all the items you listed are horrible.

Tiamat-meh item
Ionic Spark- bad item except for gangplank, shen, and volibear.
Madred's Bloodrazor- A horrible noob trap item.

A Pillòw

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohntheMage View Post
Mundo with Mercs, 3 Warmogs, FoN, and Sunfire <-- very mean.

How to counter: Ignite. Kite. Better yet, don't let him get enough farm/kills to buy his items.

In general, you want to find a way to get past health stackers and destroy their squishies since they usually don't do as much damage, and make sure to save an ignite for healers like Voli and Mundo.
OMFG yes. It's so rediculous. Played against a mundo with nearly this same build the other night and he just swatted off my entire team like we were insects and proceeded to just pummel each of us individually while completely ignoring the rest. I was 13/4 as teemo and my teammates weren't doing any worse since his teammates were all garbage. I even ignited him when he used his ult, the main thing about it was that it resisted all the debuffs on him, so he just ran around destroying everything. It's like Singed's ult, but on a guy who does constant damage to nearby enemies without having to run in front of them. His slow actually does damage and is easily landed on someone once you hit them once with it, and he can do a decent amount of melee damage without any damage items.

We were having to 5/1 this guy just to take him down, and then his teammates were too much for us, no matter how bad they were.

And it's not that we were focusing him while his teammates just sat there hitting us. They just sat in the back waiting on him to die, after killing at least 2 of us in the fight, then they would step in and clean up.